Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd make a thread here to get some opinions and experience from you guys. I have a few options with regard to what I continue to study or start to study next year.

I'm currently doing AS levels in Maths, History, English Lit and Politics. I want to study PPE or Philosophy and Economics at uni. I was planning on taking all four subjects that I'm studying atm to A2. However, I could also pick up AS Further Maths. I also want to do an Extended Project. I suppose that doing 4 A2s, AS Further Maths and an Extended Project would be too much work. That being the case, what would you recommend I drop, or should I disregard one of Further Maths or Extended Project? How beneficial would AS Further Maths be to an application for PPE?

Any advice would be appreciated... cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    I thought I'd make a thread here to get some opinions and experience from you guys. I have a few options with regard to what I continue to study or start to study next year.

I'm currently doing AS levels in Maths, History, English Lit and Politics. I want to study PPE or Philosophy and Economics at uni. I was planning on taking all four subjects that I'm studying atm to A2. However, I could also pick up AS Further Maths. I also want to do an Extended Project. I suppose that doing 4 A2s, AS Further Maths and an Extended Project would be too much work. That being the case, what would you recommend I drop, or should I disregard one of Further Maths or Extended Project? How beneficial would AS Further Maths be to an application for PPE?

Any advice would be appreciated... cheers!
    Hi,

I do the same A levels as you and I've got a place for PPE at Oxford (2011 entry) so hopefully I can help a bit.

My offer is AAA but my college (St Hilda's) has specified that this must be achieved in Maths, History and Politics. I think that English Literature is clearly the least relevant A-level for PPE, so if you're thinking of dropping something I would suggest that this would be the ideal choice. In many ways I wish I had dropped English Lit - especially around November, when I was thinking about potentially having an interview, I would have liked to have been able to have spent my time on something more relevant to PPE than my English coursework. It all depends on how much you like English I suppose - don't just carry on because 4 A2s looks better than 3 though, it really doesn't matter.

If you are going to carry on all 4, in my opinion it would probably be a bit too much to do both AS FM and the Extended Project, but maybe I'm wrong. I was thinking about doing them as well, but in the end I decided not to because I already had a lot of commitments inside and outside of school. I think that doing one of them, along with 4 A2s would be manageable, as long as you are willing to work hard! They are both looked on favourably by PPE tutors, but weighing them up, I think a strong grade in further maths would be slightly more beneficial than the Extended Project. This is because maths really is vital to so many aspects of the PPE course, and they always emphasise how they need people who are confident in this respect. A level maths is almost an unofficial requirement now (although there are of course still those who get in without it), but if you have further maths you really do stand out, and it will stand you in good stead for the economics and logic sections of the course. On the other hand, whilst the EP shows you have good writing and research abilities, this is already shown by your A level essay subjects, and it is something that is (arguably?) easier to teach anyway. Also, even if you write about a PPE-related issue, in my interviews everyone got asked the same, very specific questions, which included no scope to discuss things you were personally interested in, or even why you want to study the subject (but maybe that was just my college). Anyway, overall, the impression I got throughout the process was that they were more interested in people's maths ability rather than the writing side of things.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    i'd drop history and the extended programe tbf and pick up futher maths it'd help just in case ppe doesnt work out as a back up

hope that help good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hyperscorpio)
    Hi,

I do the same A levels as you and I've got a place for PPE at Oxford (2011 entry) so hopefully I can help a bit.

My offer is AAA but my college (St Hilda's) has specified that this must be achieved in Maths, History and Politics. I think that English Literature is clearly the least relevant A-level for PPE, so if you're thinking of dropping something I would suggest that this would be the ideal choice. In many ways I wish I had dropped English Lit - especially around November, when I was thinking about potentially having an interview, I would have liked to have been able to have spent my time on something more relevant to PPE than my English coursework. It all depends on how much you like English I suppose - don't just carry on because 4 A2s looks better than 3 though, it really doesn't matter.

If you are going to carry on all 4, in my opinion it would probably be a bit too much to do both AS FM and the Extended Project, but maybe I'm wrong. I was thinking about doing them as well, but in the end I decided not to because I already had a lot of commitments inside and outside of school. I think that doing one of them, along with 4 A2s would be manageable, as long as you are willing to work hard! They are both looked on favourably by PPE tutors, but weighing them up, I think a strong grade in further maths would be slightly more beneficial than the Extended Project. This is because maths really is vital to so many aspects of the PPE course, and they always emphasise how they need people who are confident in this respect. A level maths is almost an unofficial requirement now (although there are of course still those who get in without it), but if you have further maths you really do stand out, and it will stand you in good stead for the economics and logic sections of the course. On the other hand, whilst the EP shows you have good writing and research abilities, this is already shown by your A level essay subjects, and it is something that is (arguably?) easier to teach anyway. Also, even if you write about a PPE-related issue, in my interviews everyone got asked the same, very specific questions, which included no scope to discuss things you were personally interested in, or even why you want to study the subject (but maybe that was just my college). Anyway, overall, the impression I got throughout the process was that they were more interested in people's maths ability rather than the writing side of things.

Hope that helps!
    That's a great help. Thanks very much.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by deepu05)
    i'd drop history and the extended programe tbf and pick up futher maths it'd help just in case ppe doesnt work out as a back up

hope that help good luck
    History is probably the most relevant out of all of his subjects for that course.
    OP, drop lit, take up further maths AS and do the EP if you feel you are handling your workload and it won't compromise your grades

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.