The Student Room Group

Art Foundation years... pros and cons?

I have two rejections and two offers, however the rejections are from my favourite two unis... I'm debating doing a foundation year and wondered if, from experience, they are worth an extra year of study (and the tuition fee increase!) :smile:
Reply 1
Anyone...? :frown:
Reply 2
I haven't done a foundation but I'm in the kinda same boat as you.
I've got declined from two places and still waiting to hear from two my last places one of them is my top uni. From what I've heard from my art tutor foundations are greatly helpful your skills will develop and let you experiment with all kinds of different things, but the down side I guess is the fee's rising, if it they weren't going up I'd certainly do a foundation, I've applied for two just in case anyway.
What course have you applied for?
Reply 3
You could start a degree some place and then apply for your favourite uni's second year?
id say the pros and cons is building up a portfolio, gaining new skills, etc. I'm not sure if this is considered a downside but my portfolio has ended up being very varied for a graphic design portfolio, so I am not sure if unis will consider this as a bad thing that I am not commited to graphic design, but my teacher is telling me that it shows that I can work with various processes etc :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Art foundations are DEFINITELY worth doing. The only con of you doing a foundation is the fee rise.

I'm on a foundation now and can't believe how much I've developed in the space of a few months. Also, before doing foundation I was set on doing theatre design but have now realised how much I am in love with Fine art!

If you're happy going to the two unis you've been offered a place at, I'd seriously consider them, but doing a foundation would infinitely improve your chances of getting into your top two unis... (but obviously that still isn't guaranteed..) :s-smilie:
Reply 6
I'm sure i've read that if it's a foundation that goes straight into the course and you don't have to re-apply or something, you pay the old fees. Not sure about art but i'm pretty sure this was the case for one of the courses I applied for.
Reply 7
I've been offered a place at CCW arts foundation (Im out of london student), but the costs are really high. What are others doing about raising funds? I reckon its going to be about £9000 in total. Scary. Is it easy to find accommodation in a student house at a lower price that the college digs?
Reply 8
Original post by HWD-x
I haven't done a foundation but I'm in the kinda same boat as you.
I've got declined from two places and still waiting to hear from two my last places one of them is my top uni. From what I've heard from my art tutor foundations are greatly helpful your skills will develop and let you experiment with all kinds of different things, but the down side I guess is the fee's rising, if it they weren't going up I'd certainly do a foundation, I've applied for two just in case anyway.
What course have you applied for?

Yeah it sucks being declined :/ hopefully you'll get your other offers though. Yeah, if it wern't for the fact the fees rise (and also partly I really don't want to spend another year at home!) I would probably do one as well.

I'm applying for illustration, you?
Reply 9
Original post by -mai-
Art foundations are DEFINITELY worth doing. The only con of you doing a foundation is the fee rise.

I'm on a foundation now and can't believe how much I've developed in the space of a few months. Also, before doing foundation I was set on doing theatre design but have now realised how much I am in love with Fine art!

If you're happy going to the two unis you've been offered a place at, I'd seriously consider them, but doing a foundation would infinitely improve your chances of getting into your top two unis... (but obviously that still isn't guaranteed..) :s-smilie:

Yeah I guess it would help if I decide to change my mind or something. A partial factor for me is that alllll of my friends will be going t uni, it sounds stupid but did you 'make friends quickly' on foundation?
Reply 10
Original post by Telia2
Yeah I guess it would help if I decide to change my mind or something. A partial factor for me is that alllll of my friends will be going t uni, it sounds stupid but did you 'make friends quickly' on foundation?

Don't let that be a factor at all! All my friends went to uni too, though I did move away to do foundation in london but when I moved I only had one friend in London and my boyfriend.

Seriously don't worry about making friends! It's really easy to get to know people on foundation - everyone is in the same boat! Everyone wants to make friends (as no one really knew many other people on the course) to it was really easy to just start talking to people. And I have some amazing friends who I've met through doing the course! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest