Turn on thread page Beta

Sweet potato appreciation watch

ReputationRep:
    Let's show some love for this, quite frankly, superior foodstuff.

I'm eating one now that I've just microwaved and added the tiniest bit of spread to. Nothing else. And it's SO TASTY.

Something else I like to do with them is chop them into wedges/chips, place them on a baking tray, spray them with oil, sprinkle on some rosemary and a little bit of paprika (or any herbs/flavouring), cook, and nom nom nom.

Who else loves sweet potatoes? Do you have any awesome recipes to share?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodles!)

I'm eating one now that I've just microwaved and added the tiniest bit of spread to. Nothing else. And it's SO TASTY.

Something else I like to do with them is chop them into wedges/chips, place them on a baking tray, spray them with oil, sprinkle on some rosemary and a little bit of paprika (or any herbs/flavouring), cook, and nom nom nom.

I was a Sweet Potato virgin a mere fortnight ago, but pushed the boat out and included them in my weekly shop. My verdict, they're a bit, erm, sweet.

I made the wedges. Coated them in oil and added chilli flakes then chucked them in the oven for a while. It was pretty good.

However they're some of the best carbs you can eat, so I'm willing to give them a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodles!)

Oh God, these are like my favourite thing to eat, and I usually hate any veg. I have them with steak. I chop them into small chunks, mix a paste pf olive oil, garlic, aromat and rosemary and coat them with it. MMmmmmm, so good!

You can also serve them cut into small strips as a healthy alternative to chips, with a variety of complimentary dips like salsa or sour cream.

ReputationRep:
    I love them :sogood: One of my favourite dishes is a sp, lentil and coconut curry. Or they are really nice baked, roasted, steamed (with the skin left on with a bit of honey as a snack). Yummers.

ReputationRep:
    Are they considered a vegetable or carb source? I never know whether they should be eaten in place of potatoes, rice etc. or alongside them.

ReputationRep:
    i always am tempted by them...especially when there cheap in aldi!

ReputationRep:
    Sweet potatoes to normal potatoes are like superman to a mere mortal.
    Oh, and roasted. every time. mmmmmmmm

ReputationRep:
    Sweet potato and carrot mash... NOM

ReputationRep:
    Roasted... nom!

ReputationRep:
    Sweet potato mash - sweet potatoes, nutmeg and butter all mashed together.. yum.

Or sweet potato wedges/chips!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    Are they considered a vegetable or carb source? I never know whether they should be eaten in place of potatoes, rice etc. or alongside them.
    I think both. They definitely count as one of your five a day.

ReputationRep:
    :love: sweet potatoes, I sometimes do them on BBQ or have them in soups. They are also my favourite side order at nandos ever. In USA a lot of places do sweet potato fries :love:

ReputationRep:
    :love:

My favourite thing to do with them is fry some onion, chorizo, peppers, and chillies, whilst microwaving a potato. Then, scoop out all that lovely potato, mix it with everything you've fried, and squish it back into the skin. Top with sour cream & chives :yum:

ReputationRep:
    sweet potato, rice, potato salad, yam and some chicken and you got yourself a boss meal :coma:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but sweet poatato :puke:

ReputationRep:
    nomilicious! so many ways to cook them!

wedges with all the usual toppings
    jacket sweet potato
    sweet potato chips with rosemary and garlic
    sweet potato, butternut squash and white bean hot and spicy curry
    carrot and sweet potato mash
    soup with sour cream
    steamed with some kind of chicken
    even a sweet potato chocolate torte!

:coma:

ReputationRep:
    mmmm, I love them, had them in my curry today

ReputationRep:
    makes awesome bangers and mash

ReputationRep:
    My mum makes an amazing kind of chili using sweet potatoes :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    :love:

My favourite thing to do with them is fry some onion, chorizo, peppers, and chillies, whilst microwaving a potato. Then, scoop out all that lovely potato, mix it with everything you've fried, and squish it back into the skin. Top with sour cream & chives :yum:
    That sounds SO GOOD! Apart from the sour cream as I don't like it- but I may have to try that with my remaining sweet potatoes tomorrow

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.