The Student Room Group

Last years graduates -- where are you now?

...or any recent (within the last few years) graduate is welcome to answer.

Are you working in a job that is connected to your degree? do you even have a job at all?

I'm a Biology graduate (I got a high 2:1) who has still been unable to find any kind of job connected to my degree. I work in retail at the moment; a job which I had before I started my degree. I've got fairly decent qualifications and experience for what I want to do, my CV is good and I like to think I'm fairly decent at writing covering letters and filling in applications forms. Yet, I don't seem to get anywhere. I can count the interviews I've had on one hand but I'm lucky to get that far; most send me back a rejection email or more often, don't reply at all.

None of the people on my course who I am still in touch with have had any success either. One works in a mobile phone shop, another works in a bar, just to name a few. I have friend who went to Cambridge and got a 1st who is also doing bar work.

I actually count myself lucky that I have my retail job. It isn't exactly what I envisioned myself doing after graduating, but it is miles better than being unemployed. Obviously a lot of recent graduates are in the same boat.

So, where are you now? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending