This discussion is closed.
Seer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
'The LSE has more respect and acclaim than Imperial College, London, both nationally and internationally.' Discuss
Petrozzi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Seer)
'The LSE has more respect and acclaim than Imperial College, London, both nationally and internationally.' Discuss
Answer my question first, what is your source?
ming
Report 16 years ago
Answering your question simply, I think the uni's are respected for different and in different areas. Imperial has its hand firmly rooted in the more scientific subjects, whereas LSE focuses on the Social Sciences. Therefore comparing them is like comparing Scary Movie 3 with The Last Samurai. Two seperate and very different things.
However if you are simply comparing 'respect' and 'acclaim' for the uni's, regardless of context (like comparing how many more people went to see Scary Movie 3 compared to The Last Samurai), then consider this. They both have international acclaim and are clearly great uni's.
However, LSE is the worlds LEADING uni for social sciences world wide. Its the best of the best in its area. I dont think ICL is top dog for science world wide. Meaning one is unbeatable, and one is nearly unbeatable. But comparing them on this basis may not be appropriate.
"Who knows" is maybe better...
Petrozzi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was going to give a similar answer that boils down to:

If you're accepted at IC for a Physical Science subject, or a numerical subject... go there.

LSE for your Social Sciences and Banking degrees.

This also assumes you like the University, and entertain the idea that you'll be there for 3/4 years and realise that it generally won't be easy work.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't think there is one course you can do at both universities so it seems like a pretty moot question.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Seer)
I agree with people who say that it is impossible to compare the two institutions because they concentrate on different subjects. In the UK I think that ICL's rep for Sciences is just as good as LSE's reputation for Social Sciences. They are pretty much placed on the same level for quality altho again I underline the fact that they are nearly impossible to compare due to the differing subjects. However, I think that in the US, LSE is much better known than ICL, I reckon ICL is getting more known in the US, but certainly at the current time LSE is way more known over there. In Asia they are both quite popular, hence many students from both seem to be internationals from Asia.
rutera
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Internationally speaking LSE is definitely more famous than ICL... In Asia, America, the rest of Europe. ICL is definitely just as good except in a different arena but I come from an international background and let's just say most people only know about cambridge, oxford, and LSE, fewer know about Imperial, and many other good universities in the UK like Durham, Notts, York, etc... It isn't fair that ICL doesn't have such an international reputation as LSE, but soon enough it will have.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (5)
50%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
10%
No- I want it (3)
30%
No- I don't want it (1)
10%

Watched Threads