Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Need career advice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well long story short, I have no clue what I want to do. Im currently in uni studying law (2nd year) totally hate it. What can I do with the degree? Every career I think of I can't see myself as happy in.

About the only thing I would like to do is become the equivalent of a pastor for my faith. However, the problem with that is there are no schools for that in the UK and for this reason all those who are in that position are from my native country, and as a consequence the lifestyle and pay are also very different to what someone raised in the West like myself would need. (I'm not in it for the pay at all but western living standards really do require more just to be average for this country).

Apart from that I've recently become interested in the idea of chaplaincy, but the main problem here is that there are less than a handful of chaplaincy positions for my faith in the first place. It doesn't seem like something to plan to go into, rather just something to apply for if there is ever a vacancy and I happen to be job seeking at the time.

Other than this I have an intrest in History, I have considered teaching but its not an ideal option. Other careers such as curator and archivist which seem like very interesting jobs are seriously underpaid.

Really, I'm not into making big bucks at all, but I would just like a reasonable salary for a graduate of 35k+ at least. Being realistic in today's times, especially if you want to raise a family, that just about covers you.

Hopefuly I've given an idea of what I'm into, I would really appreciate any advice as I am very unsure as to what to do with my life at this stage in time.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly I just want to say that curator and archivist are very different jobs and both require a Master's degree (usually) and are a serioulsy competitive so they're not something to go into unless you are really serious about it. If you want anymore advice on these jobs feel free to pm me (I'm hoping to become a curator in the future and am currently working towards my MA in museum studies)

Apart from that just do what makes you happy. Why did you study law in the first place ad why do you hate it now? And are you planning on finishing your degree?
    If becoming a pastor or chaplan costs a lot could you not get a job now and start saving so you can do it in the future?

good luck x

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.