Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

O frabjous day! Hot cross buns! Watch

ReputationRep:
    My dear Foodies,
    It's getting to that wonderful time of year when trees blossom, lambs gambol in the fields...and hot cross buns go on sale.
    In fact, I'm eating some right now, toasted and generously slathered in butter.

For me, it can only be salted butter on hot cross buns. Never unsalted, and never EVER that ghastly margarine.
    How about you? Do you not find that the light salty taste compliments the sweet tang of the dried fruit?

ReputationRep:
    I dislike hot cross buns with a passion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyler.)
    I dislike hot cross buns with a passion.
    This :puke:

ReputationRep:
    I put WAY too much butter than I should on ^^ .

ReputationRep:
    Mmmmm... saying that, i've started making my own, becuase I'm finding shop bought ones are getting a funny taste. I'm actually pretty convinced that I can taste the preservative. But I agree on the butter!!!

ReputationRep:
    I love the M&S apple and cinnamon ones, toasted with butter.

*goes and makes some*

ReputationRep:
    If you want to eat the nicest snack in the world, toast a hot cross bun then spread nutella on it. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    If you want to eat the nicest snack in the world, toast a hot cross bun then spread nutella on it. :coma:
    If I had any nutella at the moment, I would do. I ate the last of the jar in the cupboard yesterday with a spoon :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    frabjous = coolest word ever

ReputationRep:
    When it gets to easter, me and my family stock up on proper hot cross buns from our local baker, and Sainsburys Taste The Difference chocolate hot cross buns, which are beyond amazing lightly toasted (That might just be me, I hate to see even slightly bit of black appear on my toast/HXBs) and covered in more butter than is probably sensible [=
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by angelbones)
    My dear Foodies,
    It's getting to that wonderful time of year when trees blossom, lambs gambol in the fields...and hot cross buns go on sale.
    In fact, I'm eating some right now, toasted and generously slathered in butter.

For me, it can only be salted butter on hot cross buns. Never unsalted, and never EVER that ghastly margarine.
    How about you? Do you not find that the light salty taste compliments the sweet tang of the dried fruit?
    Yay for quoting Jabberwocky in your thread title.

I agree, that is definitely the best way to eat hot cross buns, but where do we all think the best hot cross buns can be bought? M&S do tasty ones, as does a local bakery round my way.

I really want a hot cross bun now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superdobby)
    frabjous = coolest word ever
    Very popular amongst the borogroves, even if they don't always find it mimsey enough.

ReputationRep:
    oh frabjous day, Kaloo Kalay! he chortled in his joy...

ReputationRep:
    I've been eating twelve a week for the past 3 weeks in prep for the big day

ReputationRep:
    I was disappointed when I saw totomino hadn't started this thread.

ReputationRep:
    oh man, i used to love these. then i was at work one day when like twelve packets were wasted and left in the staff room for people to help themselves too.. i ate so many that day that i now hate them. i cant even smell them, the smell makes me feel sick. its sad times.

ReputationRep:
    They are made year round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    I was disappointed when I saw totomino hadn't started this thread.
    Sorry to disappoint!

jellybeanjen, the ones I just had were from Waitrose, and they were lovely. The best though come from the Farmer's Market close to where I work on Saturdays. They're handmade by this lovely woman and MMMM, they're delicious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelbones)
    Sorry to disappoint!

jellybeanjen, the ones I just had were from Waitrose, and they were lovely. The best though come from the Farmer's Market close to where I work on Saturdays. They're handmade by this lovely woman and MMMM, they're delicious.
    Take it as a compliment in that I assumed such a thread was totomino worthy!

ReputationRep:
    My dad's homemade ones are absolutely delicious. No shop-bought ones I've ever tried have come close.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.