Turn on thread page Beta

Whether to do an Open University course? Help watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am in Sixth form at the moment and am hoping to do Medicine or Biochemistry in university, And recently my school has started talking to use about doing an open university course, that would give us credit points. I have looked these courses up on the UCAS website and they don't score any UCAS points, so i am a bit worried as to whether taking on extra work like this with an open university course would be worthwhile? And how much it would affect my A level work, I can't afford to drop down any grades on my subjects, so I was just wondering what people thought about it.
    The course I am interested in is Molecules, Medicines and Drugs: A Chemical Story SK185 and it scores 10 credits.
    My main concern is how high the workload is. Any answers would be much appreciated, Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieMinz)
    Hey, I am in Sixth form at the moment and am hoping to do Medicine or Biochemistry in university, And recently my school has started talking to use about doing an open university course, that would give us credit points. I have looked these courses up on the UCAS website and they don't score any UCAS points, so i am a bit worried as to whether taking on extra work like this with an open university course would be worthwhile? And how much it would affect my A level work, I can't afford to drop down any grades on my subjects, so I was just wondering what people thought about it.
    The course I am interested in is Molecules, Medicines and Drugs: A Chemical Story SK185 and it scores 10 credits.
    My main concern is how high the workload is. Any answers would be much appreciated, Thankyou!
    Open universities will cost you a lot of money. If you want extra UCAS points, then do the extended project which is worth an AS so if you get a C, that's an extra 40 UCAS points or the general studies exam (some all though not all universities except this).

ReputationRep:
    The OU's ten point courses have quite a light workload, and if you're already doing chemistry you'll find it pretty easy. It's assessed purely on one assignment you do at the end (or you can do it as you go through the material). You can either do it in 8-10 weeks or take five months depending on which submission date you go for as well.

I've done Molecules, Medicines and Drugs, took the eight week option and was finished a long time before that and I'd say I maybe put in a few hours a week. It's a good course, really interesting and quite fun to do, and you get your own molecule making kit to build models with (I've still got mine-I brought it to uni with me; it doesn't half come in handy for my chemistry modules sometimes )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieMinz)

I did that module this year and I have to say that you don't need to worry about it being too much work. If you're doing chemistry AS (and I assume you are for medicine) then you'll be familiar with most of the concepts in the OU course already. And although you don't get any UCAS points for it like you would with an EPQ doing an OU short course gives you something a bit different to talk about in your personal statement so I think it's worth doing.

Also, Drizzy12 look at chapter 3 as it has info on intermolecular forces and also amino acids

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.