Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So yeah, we are witnessing an epic, ever-changing war raging on in one of our most important Arabic friends. AS you all will know, we have also been bombing Gaddafi's airforce, and there is nothing left of it. As a result the rebels moved forward a lot, but recently the government repelled the attacks and are getting closer the the rebel stronghold. In an interview with some rebels, they stated "the coalition need to do more, they have done nothing." Which obviously is not true. Many - including the rebels - are suggesting, some even begging us to supply the rebels with new, high-tech weaponry. In a video uploaded to YouTube, rebels were placing massive missiles on the back of Toyota trucks (stolen from government fighters) and manually firing them. The rebels are unorganized and know very little about weaponry. So yes, on one hand they do, definitely need better guns.

But on the other hand, the situation is very similar to Afghanistan in the 80s. In this proxy war, the Soviets heeded to a call from the country's leader (a "communist") and invaded the country to stop the rebellion. To counter this, the Mujahideen (rebels) were supplied by USA. The war raged on for exactly 9 years and 50 days, ending with the soviets being repelled. The country was then run by the Taliban, who used Sharia law. But following our support of the rebels, Al-Qaeda was formed, and they used the high-tech weaponry we provided them against us. It is generally believed that Al-Qaeda are operating among the rebels in Libya, a similar situation could occur.

What is your view on this? I believe that we should supply them with some weaponry, but not particularly high-tech or advanced. We should also continue with the air strikes now that we foolishly have begun. But we should not, under any circumstances engage in ground warfare. We should instead shell the government's heavy artillery so they haven't got an overly unfair advantage.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Keep on with the air strikes. I am against selling them weapons and against troops anywhere near Libya. The news right now is that Gadaffi's troops are moving on foot so the coaltion is finding the targets harder to hit. they are still pushing the rebels back

ReputationRep:
    anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion it would be flat out wrong to simply flood the rebels with arms. They're a ragtag group of emotionally charged people generally devoid of any discipline, military proficiency and organization and we have to remember that there are pro government civilians too. There are some defected army personnel amongst their ranks but for the best part they are simply armed civilians...

If we do supply them with arms then we'd probably need to provide them with some sort of training as well but surely that would involve "boots on the ground" to some extent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisnew)
    In my opinion it would be flat out wrong to simply flood the rebels with arms. They're a ragtag group of emotionally charged people generally devoid of any discipline, military proficiency and organization and we have to remember that there are pro government civilians too. There are some defected army personnel amongst their ranks but for the best part they are simply armed civilians...

If we do supply them with arms then we'd probably need to provide them with some sort of training as well but surely that would involve "boots on the ground" to some extent.
    yeah true. But the thing is if we dont act within a few days they will be completely wiped out, and with Gaddafi's erratic behaviour he could start a democide

ReputationRep:

You think there aren't already coalition special forces doing just that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    You think there aren't already coalition special forces doing just that?
    Yeah unless you can provide me with solid evidence that they are doing so other than Obama's "covert" Mother May I finding.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah unless you can provide me with solid evidence that they are doing so other than Obama's "covert" Mother May I finding.
    The SAS got caught there, that's pretty solid evidence.

You'd have to be very naive to think there is no Western involvement on the ground.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    The SAS got caught there, that's pretty solid evidence.

You'd have to be very naive to think there is no Western involvement on the ground.
    I'm sure there is some sort of covert Western involvement but I was talking about getting troops in Libya and actively training the rebels, something which would be there for all to see.

e: From what I understand there is currently SAS and other coalition special forces currently on the ground marking targets for air strikes and in the event that a coalition fighter jet is shot down. They probably carry guns and explosives as a part of standard kit.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.