Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

woke up from a nap and went downstairs to see if mum wanted help cooking. She said not but I would like you to do one thing: stop your job seekers allowance. I was shocked and said: i'll stop it when i get a job.

Question is: should i stop it till i get a job? Any ideas why my mum wants me to go off it? Aren't I entitled to it being unemployed an all?

blue

ReputationRep:
    Probably for your own good, so that you don't become dependant on it

You'll have a harder drive to become employed that way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    Hi,

woke up from a nap and went downstairs to see if mum wanted help cooking. She said not but I would like you to do one thing: stop your job seekers allowance. I was shocked and said: i'll stop it when i get a job.

Question is: should i stop it till i get a job? Any ideas why my mum wants me to go off it? Aren't I entitled to it being unemployed an all?

blue
    Why don't you ask her?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitarmike456)

true say. Do you think she doesn't approve of me going climbing once a week? :/

ReputationRep:
    true say. Do you think she doesn't approve of me going climbing once a week? :/
    What, like outisde climbing or in a centre? Don't see why anyone wouldn't approve of that sounds healthy! I'm jelly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitarmike456)

Definately argee with this answer! Keep motivtated in trying to find a job and looking for one! Its better to get back into work. Although ive never been on jobseekers ive seen the effect of people losing their jobs and becoming dependant on Jobseekers allowance! Even take temporary work to keep you going!

ReputationRep:
    Unless your mum has a TSR account, you're not going to find the answer here. Ask her

ReputationRep:
    Have you been on it for long?
    Maybe she doesn't want you to become dependent on it!

Though you asking us why your mum said it. The only way your going to found the right answer is by asking her

ReputationRep:
    try asking her.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

blue
    no-one has a right to claim money from the government for unemployment.

you don't need to work, but the government is giving you money for nothing to help you while you look for work, not so that you can do nothing and sponge off the rest of us.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

blue
    If you're looking for a job, then yes your entitled.

Otherwise I hope that when you do get a job, the government ask for every single penny you're currently getting which you shouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Where's My Username)
    Unless your mum has a TSR account, you're not going to find the answer here. Ask her
    She said cos i've been on it too long now and sit in my room all day - i mean how is not getting it going to help me? If anything I will be less mobile not having JSA then i'd be stuck at home forever :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n65uk)
    If you're looking for a job, then yes your entitled.

Otherwise I hope that when you do get a job, the government ask for every single penny you're currently getting which you shouldn't.
    of course i am looking, lol. I would infinitely rather be in work than unemployed. Being unemployed has a numbing effect on the mind and it's really urghh crap!

ReputationRep:
    I think it sounds more like your mum wants you to get a job and cease to be a job seeker rather than stop job seekers allowance. You need to stay on it to be honest. You can't really look for a job without it and a little known fact about JSA is that you're paying NI contributions whilst you're on it. If you don't pay it, it can affect things like pensions later on.

ReputationRep:
    She said cos i've been on it too long now and sit in my room all day - i mean how is not getting it going to help me? If anything I will be less mobile not having JSA then i'd be stuck at home forever :O
    you intially said you woke up from your nap. Maybe she feels you nap too much and don't go out handing cv's enough.
    maybe you could show her you're trying to get a job ( if you are? doesn't sound like you are as you haven't said anything about it). Hand out cv's once a week and then devote a second day in your week for calling around to check up on those cv's.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should go out every day and try and find a job, by showing you are doing something means your mum will stop thinking less of you.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.