Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I don't really have a clue what I want to do at uni, so I want to keep my options as open as possible. These are the IB subjects I am thinking of choosing:-

English Lit - Higher
    History - Higher
    Biology - Higher
    Chemistry - Higher
    Maths - Standard
    French B - Standard

Are four highers doable? I need two sciences for medicine at uni (something I am thinking of doing), but I also love english and history and don't want to drop either of them to Standard. Also, would I be able to do these subjects and get into one of Law/Medicine/History/Ancient History??

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    It will be difficult. Not gonna lie. Sciences are hard enough, loads of essay writing in history, and in english. Why not go

Bio./Chem/english?

_Kar

ReputationRep:
    Four highers helps nobody. Basically the IB is so difficult anyway that universities aren't impressed by four higher levels - they just think you're trying to prove something. You would be surprised how in-depth standard levels are - I was in SL English and we did more books than A-level English students would have done. Also two higher sciences are a lot of work and the last thing you want is two essay subjects as well. Seriously you would kick yourself after a few months for choosing four highers.

In my year there were four successful applicants for medicine, two of them had HL Chem, Bio, English, and two had HL Chem, Bio and Math. (but that's not a suggestion you should do maths, you shouldn't ) I would stick with the two sciences plus history if you want to leave that open as an option - but universities will KNOW that standard levels are rigorous. And they are. It would be shooting yourself in the foot. Good luck!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so having trouble choosing my third and final IB HL.

Currently I have picked chem and bio, but now I need to choose between English and Psychology. I am doing GCSEs and am about an A standard in English and an A* standard in Psychology. However, people have told me that English is better because it is more traditional and helps you gain skills that can be used in later life.

Any advice? The one I don't pick as a HL, will be taken in SL.

ReputationRep:
    I love english HL. If you're fairly good at english, the workload isn't that much more, just another couple of texts to study. Yay reading.

_Kar.

ReputationRep:
    Do not do four highers. It would be a killer, don't touch it. Especially History, Biology, English and Chemistry. I do Hist. Engl. Biology higher and that isn't fun.
    History or English at standard would be fine, you still cover a lot.
    I've found a lot of people in my school are struggling with Chemistry, but our school has had some real trouble with IB in the past ( what a wonderful thing to realise just over 4 weeks before exams)
    ALSO

general Tip
    REVISE throughout the course. I know it sounds stupid, but I didn't and I am wishing I have.

ReputationRep:
    Better Tip:

Do your EE in 5IB.

Do your IAs over the summer.

Study what you dont feel sure of at LEAST once a week. Make time.

_Kar.

PS: Back up your files, too.

ReputationRep:
    Well at the moment I am thinking I might do either law or ancient history then law conversion, so I might drop one of the sciences down to Standard, although this would rule out medicine as an option If I do, any advice on which one of Chemistry or Biology I should drop down?

Also, even if I do keep them all at Higher, I was planning on dropping one of either English or a science to Standard within the first year once I decided what I wanted to do at uni (forgot to put that on the original post sorry).

Thanks for all your help btw

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.