Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cometgirl)
    There's a woman who lives on my street. Her entire life revolves around taking care of her husband, children, and house.
    For me, to think that her entire life consists of cooking and cleaning is sexist and degrading. She has no real possessions of her own, no job, no car.. nothing. She is completely dependent on her husband.
    I think that to be a housewife in the twenty-first century is degrading in general. I find it empowering that I have a job and can support myself. I live with my boyfriend and we BOTH work so we can each put in our two cents when the rent comes in. We are equals. I am not expected to prop up a pillow behind his head and hand him his coffee as he comes home from work every day.
    We aren't put on this earth to cook and clean and do nothing else, like this woman and her husband (and many others) believe.
    Can housewifery truly be a fulfilling lifestyle to lead?
    You pathetic bint. God help any children you have who end up farmed out to a child minder so you can pretend you have a career. No doubt they'll be sent off to boarding school just as soon as you can get them in.
    Do us all a favour and get yourself sterilised.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind taking a few years off to look after young children if I ever have them, if my partner and I thought it was necessary. But I'd like to return to work when my child or children reach a certain. That's what my Mum did. Alternatively, my partner could be a "house-husband." I don't think being a full time housewife is degrading, if it's your choice and you think it's best for your family, then why should it matter what anyone else thinks.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care if a woman chooses to be a 'housewife'. That's her business.

I believe that men and women should be viewed as equal in society - it should not be expected for a woman to be a housewife or to be the primary caregiver. However, there should be the freedom and acceptance for any person who chooses that whether they be male or female.

For me, being a housewife would be degrading because I'm far more ambitious and don't care for that lifestyle. I'm a feminist, I'm certainly not a traditionalist. But that's just me.

ReputationRep:
    maybe that's how they WANT their life to be? ever consider that? maybe she enjoys looking after her children, and being there for them, rather them dumping them on a childminder or something? they'll probably turn out a lot better than if both parents worked all the time and barely had any time for the kids.

don't be so quick to judge, you like having a job and earning money, she likes to look after her family, be loving, and look after the kids. probably not as easy as you make it sound, either. living off one income isn't always easy, rarely easy in fact, but if she made that sacrifice to give a better life for her kids then that's her choice, not yours. everyone has the right to choose how they want their life to be, no?

ReputationRep:
    If my girlfriend or wife (hopefully if I meet and am in love with the right girl =P) is happy doing what she's doing (which includes having and bringing our kids up etc) and keeping preoccupied then it's all good.

ReputationRep:
    If that's what she wants to do then what the hell business is it of yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annora)
    I believe that men and women should be viewed as equal in society - it should not be expected for a woman to be a housewife or to be the primary caregiver. However, there should be the freedom and acceptance for any person who chooses that whether they be male or female.
    This.

I would happily be a housewife, if it was the best option for everyone concerned. I.e. if I had young children that needed caring for, and one salary was enough to cover the household's needs. I would rather care for my children myself, than have my own job to pay for extra things like a childminder - I would personally feel like I was only working to get extra money, if my husband already had a decent salary.

I wouldn't consider myself to be 'lower' than my husband, if he was the only one working. I can imagine that looking after children and keeping a house clean and tidy is a pretty time-consuming job in itself, and something to be very proud of.

ReputationRep:
    She isn't saying that being is housewife means that they do no work, what she is saying is that if for instance they broke up, she would have nothing to fall back on. Where as what he depends on her for, he could hire in a house keeper.
    Personally, I think that housewifery is a bad thing sometimes, in that when the children are growing up they see there mum practically being a slave to them and their father, so that when they grow up the male children may think that the role of a woman is to be at home, and cater for their every need, and the female children may think that they have no possibilities at any other jobs, and that they must give up work.

ReputationRep:
    To those that say that if a housewife broke up with her partner she would have nothing to fall back on are wrong.I know many single parents and they have plenty of help getting back to work from various sources.I am married and do not have such help in finding work etc.

ReputationRep:
    So a housewife probably starts work at 7am, and finishes around 9pm. That's 14 hours a day, 351 days a year (if we generously include a 14 day holiday). 4914 hours a year. The full-time employee (35 hours per week) gets paid 52 weeks of the year, which is a total of 1820 hours' pay.

4914/1820 = 2.7
    So a housewife works 2.7 times longer than an average full-time employee.

Let us assume she splits the jobs above evenly. That's an average salary of 11372*2.7 which is £30,704.40

Imagine for one second the boost to the economy if every housewife went to another family and got paid for their efforts...

Based on full-time employees 300 hours a year (data: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/best-paid-jobs

£6753 cleaner
    £13,653 chef
    £11,650 childminder
    £11,008 launderer
    £13,796 taxi driver)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    To those that say that if a housewife broke up with her partner she would have nothing to fall back on are wrong.I know many single parents and they have plenty of help getting back to work from various sources.I am married and do not have such help in finding work etc.
    And what "various sources" are you referring to? Unemployment benefits? Social security benefits?
    Housewives should not be entitled to benefits if they don't pay taxes or have a job out of choice. And no, cleaning and cooking for your children and husband does NOT equate to having a job. It is a LIFESTYLE that you lead.

So really, to summarise what you just said, these "various sources" that you speak of really means scrounging off of society and receiving undeserved benefits.

ReputationRep:
    If women want to stay at home and look after their families, then that's fine. In fact, it's a very good thing. Likewise for men, but for obvious reasons more women will choose this way of life.

We're a wealthy enough country that half of us can afford not to work. Far better one parent stays at home so that the children are brought up properly than young people become drug-addicted, impulsive, amoral imbeciles because their parents were out working all day, convinced by consumerism that getting the latest iPod will bring them fulfillment.

ReputationRep:
    There's a woman who lives on my street. Her entire life revolves around taking care of her husband, children, and house.
    For me, to think that her entire life consists of cooking and cleaning is sexist and degrading. She has no real possessions of her own, no job, no car.. nothing. She is completely dependent on her husband.
    I think that to be a housewife in the twenty-first century is degrading in general. I find it empowering that I have a job and can support myself. I live with my boyfriend and we BOTH work so we can each put in our two cents when the rent comes in. We are equals. I am not expected to prop up a pillow behind his head and hand him his coffee as he comes home from work every day.
    We aren't put on this earth to cook and clean and do nothing else, like this woman and her husband (and many others) believe.
    and who the hell are you to decide how she runs her life? Maybe shes happy being a housewife? Maybe she chose to be one. Maybe she finds it very fulfilling, people who are very house proud tend to like spending a lot of time there making sure everything is perfect.

(Original post by Suzanathema)
    When I worked in a phone shop I would set people up for contract phones and when I asked their occupation and they gave me this snotty high-and-mighty look and said "housewife" I would list it as 'unemployed'
    So you deliberately falsified legal documentation. Good for you idiot - Housewife is considered a valid profession.

That's a problem for them both to deal with, not just her. He is the one making the money, she is just his house-slave. It takes two people to decide to have kids, if he wanted nothing to do with them he should have got a vasectomy or something. Men who are never around for their kids are just as bad as women who refuse to work.

Perhaps if she worked too they could afford some childcare and she would actually be doing something worthwhile with her life rather than living like a parasite watching Jeremy Kyle all day.
    Spoken as someone who really has not got a clue about what goes into running a house and raising children. Housewives work damn hard it most certainly is not sitting in front of the TV all day drinking tea.

I like how you disparage fathers who are never there and then in same sentence advocate getting childcare when such a situation calls for both parents to not be there. Thus having two “absent parents”

And what if both parents have chosen this style, what if the woman wanted to be at home to raise the children. If the husband/partner can afford to support her then I see no reason why it shouldn’t be allowed – just because you have an issue with.

(Original post by Annora)
    I don't care if a woman chooses to be a 'housewife'. That's her business.

For me, being a housewife would be degrading because I'm far more ambitious and don't care for that lifestyle. I'm a feminist, I'm certainly not a traditionalist. But that's just me.
    Urm its not - no more than it is now considered to be the mans responsibility to be the one bringing home a wage

And what "various sources" are you referring to? Unemployment benefits? Social security benefits?
    Housewives should not be entitled to benefits if they don't pay taxes or have a job out of choice. And no, cleaning and cooking for your children and husband does NOT equate to having a job. It is a LIFESTYLE that you lead.

So really, to summarise what you just said, these "various sources" that you speak of really means scrounging off of society and receiving undeserved benefits.
    And another person who knows so little but thinks they know so much. Id put severe money on that housewives work a lot harder than you do.

As for benefits that’s what the system is there for, to help those who need it. Its not there to be lived off granted but it is there to help. There is no shame is using what help is available to get back on your feet.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, get over yourself. For one, you don't know her or their background so you don't really have a strong base for your argument, just what you see from "outside".

You don't know their family history, their past, or what they are doing with their life right now. To just assume she is some lowly housewife on your part is pathetic.

However to address the housewife problem, who are you to say that being a housewife sucks? Some women marry or are dating men who just make enough money so they don't have to work, it isn't always "the woman being lazy" or whatever.

In the future if I have a job that pays enough to support me and my wife/children (which is a high chance at what I'm doing) then I won't ask her to work. Granted she might want to but that's completely up to her.

Stop being so closed minded.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever floats your boat. I don't get the "housewives work for longer" argument, though. No, they don't. Working people have to do the housework as well.

ReputationRep:
    Go out and get a job and earn your own money, you parasites.

Funny how the whole of TSR loves housewives but hates benefit scroungers. How are they different?
    It's completely different. A benefit scrounger is using the tax payer's money. A housewife is using her husbands money with his consent. It's not parasitic if the person earning the money has agreed to it, and it's also not scrounging if they are happy to support it financially.

I have no problem if a man or a woman wants to stay at home and look after the kids while their partner earns the money. But I doubt it would work for me. If we didn't have kids I think it would be a bit weird to have a partner who's job is basically to look after me. Staying home to look after kids, at least when they're young, seems fair enough. But that depends on me earning enough money to support that, which I probably wouldn't. I'd actually consider being a househusband for a few years if the wife was earning enough.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's degrading if she's chosen to live that life. If she's happy, then who cares.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.