Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I started my first job in December at Sainsbury's but I am not enjoying it.
    Any advice about leaving and the best way to do from your experience?
    Should I go to my department manager and tell her that I want to leave?
    Should I write a letter of resignation?
    Do I need to gather any documentation before I go?

ReputationRep:
    Go to your line manager and discuss your problems before resigning from the job! If you are still unhappy, write a letter stating what notice you need to serve and then leave. That all the documentation you need to have! I would really reconsider leaving! Try and find a job first before you leave! Its better to be in a job looking for other work! Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Just dump a resignation letter and your uniform the managers desk and leg it, without looking back. Worked for me.

Write a letter to your manager. You need to give four weeks notice, so say in your letter that your last shift will be on a date four weeks from now.

I would question whether quitting Sainsburys without getting another job first is a good idea though. It's not the most fun place to work but it's money.

ReputationRep:
    I quit a job at Morrisons after two years and this is how I did it:

1) Wrote a formal resignation letter thanking them etc. with a two week notice

2) Handed it in to the personnel manager, informed line manager and supervisor

3) Left after two weeks

4) Discovered my discount card stopped working

But... have you considered sticking with the job? Asking for a different shift? Adjusting shift rotas or working in a different department? Talk to your line and personnel manager and try to resolve any issues before quitting.

ReputationRep:
    Or, you can save time and paperwork by just commiting gross misconduct. Make sure it's nothing criminal or an activity that harms another person though :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    I don't really need to money so I don't need to look for another job right away. Also, I think it would be way to awkward if I just changed departments. I think it'll be a bit awkward anyway because it's my local supermarket and I shop there about twice a week and know a lot of people ;/ lol

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll hand in my letter tomorrow =)

EDIT:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Write a letter to your manager. You need to give four weeks notice, so say in your letter that your last shift will be on a date four weeks from now.
    (Original post by sean2011)
    Go to your line manager and discuss your problems before resigning from the job! If you are still unhappy, write a letter stating what notice you need to serve and then leave.
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    I quit a job at Morrisons after two years and this is how I did it:

1) Wrote a formal resignation letter thanking them etc. with a two week notice

2) Handed it in to the personnel manager, informed line manager and supervisor
    I will do research on resignation letters, but is there anything you guys would recommend when writing it? The managers and all my colleagues were all great to work with and were good to me, so I think it's right that I am good to them.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.