The Student Room Group

The B&Q Thread. :)

Hi there guys, just noticed that whilst there are threads for other jobs such as Mcdonalds, M&S, sainsburys etc, there wasn't one for B&Q, so thought I'd get the bandwagon rolling :smile:

I'm due to start there next week in their gardening centre (6am-9am mon-fri shifts + college, my life is going to be party :dance: ). Just also wanted to know what induction there is like? Supposed to last 2 weeks but really that seems a lot?
I guess not many work in DIY on TSR then...
Main reason is that they normally only hire people that can work full time or have an over 30 policy where if you are under 30 they normally pass over your cv.
Reply 3
Hello! I work in B&Q too - Parkhead store (Glasgow)

I've worked there on a part time basis since January 2009, and I work on the checkouts, although I'm angling for a move to Decor.

And I'm only 19, as are most of my colleagues on the checkouts so I don't think they normally pass over everyone under 30. :smile:

EDIT: As for induction, it's more like computer based training. It takes quite a while, but it's not difficult. After that, you'll probably shadow someone in the department just to get a feel for it, and to start learning some basic answers to common questions customers'll ask. You'll also be shown how to process customer orders and fetch barcodes from the system and to locate stock in other stores.

You'll be on trial for the first three months, like in most jobs, but as long as you perform well, don't turn up late and aren't absent a lot then you'll be fine. :smile:

Any more questions, just ask!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Snowie
Hello! I work in B&Q too - Parkhead store (Glasgow)

I've worked there on a part time basis since January 2009, and I work on the checkouts, although I'm angling for a move to Decor.

And I'm only 19, as are most of my colleagues on the checkouts so I don't think they normally pass over everyone under 30. :smile:

EDIT: As for induction, it's more like computer based training. It takes quite a while, but it's not difficult. After that, you'll probably shadow someone in the department just to get a feel for it, and to start learning some basic answers to common questions customers'll ask. You'll also be shown how to process customer orders and fetch barcodes from the system and to locate stock in other stores.

You'll be on trial for the first three months, like in most jobs, but as long as you perform well, don't turn up late and aren't absent a lot then you'll be fine. :smile:

Any more questions, just ask!

Thanks for the advice! I just started today as my first day but as my shifts only lasted 3 hours only managed to do the H&S training, going to be doing little by little each day :smile: I'm only here on seasonal temp for 3 months anyway so they clearly stated during the interview that my contract would NOT be extended but if there are any other vacancies at the time, then they may take me on

Original post by Smilingsam
Main reason is that they normally only hire people that can work full time or have an over 30 policy where if you are under 30 they normally pass over your cv.

Lol, stereotype
Reply 5
Original post by yougotitlikethat
Thanks for the advice! I just started today as my first day but as my shifts only lasted 3 hours only managed to do the H&S training, going to be doing little by little each day :smile: I'm only here on seasonal temp for 3 months anyway so they clearly stated during the interview that my contract would NOT be extended but if there are any other vacancies at the time, then they may take me on

When I started I was on 4h on Friday, 6h Saturday and Sunday, and it took me all of Sunday and a fair part of Friday to get trained up and allowed to go shadow someone.

And fair enough, I think most B&Qs are just employing temp staff at the moment, seeing as in my region that's all that available. :smile:
Reply 6
I have an interview for B&Q this friday, could anyone help me with what i should be expecting at the interview?
I have a phone interview with B&Q next week. Does anyone know how this works as I have heard its an automated interview type thing? Any help is appreciated!
Anybody wondering about the interview process, after you've applied on the internet and you meet their requirements you can expect a 20 minute interview over the phone. This consists of a mix of questions about yourself and scenarios (e.g. what would you do if you were making a display on your own and were unsure of how to continue?). If they like you you will be asked to attend a recruitment day which lasts for just over 2 hours.
For the day you will be asked to build a tower with the other interviewees out of bits and bobs lying around. This is to test your team and communication skills so just make sure you are always asking if everyone is alright, is happy with what you are doing, has thought about doing such and such...
Then you have to pick a product, find out from the packaging what you can for 5 minutes and then sell it to a member of staff assessing you and everyone else. Make sure you make eye contact and speak slowly whilst doing this.
The last task is going onto the shop floor with a member of staff and asking customers if you can help them. If they d have a question you can just ask the person assessing you their query as chances are, you wont know.
If after all this, they like you, you will be asked to have a second interview there and then. Here they ask you question more about yourself, in an attempt to find out how you would best work in a team (e.g. what would you bring to the team, when have you ever had to resolve a problem).
I then got a call a few hours after telling me I had the job but they said I would hear back in a day or two.
Make sure you sound and appear confident and do your research. I was by far the youngest person there (17) and got the job.
Reply 9
Do you do just checkouts?
I had a interview two days ago and they still haven't got back to me. Dispite them saying they will get back to.me in 48 hours. What should I do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending