Turn on thread page Beta

No reward for being the bigger man watch

Have you ever had an argument over something trivial, waited a while then tried being the bigger man and attempting to put it in the past only to have the other person spit right back at you?

For example, one of my better friends and I argued over the concept of responsible drinking on facebook. This argument then ballooned into something ridiculous, as things sometimes do over the internet.

Thing is, next day I say something along the lines of "why did we even have that argument, it was stupid, meaningless and we didn't really mean what we said".
    He replies "yeah I did, because you were clearly wrong and refused to accept it"

It was all I could do to not scream at him, given how he started the argument/flamebate and refuses to let it die, when I'm trying to put it behind us.

I often wonder what the value of friendship is, in moments like this, when I swallow some pride only to get somebody being childish, refusing to let go.

Is it really worth continuing to try to be peacemaker in these situations, or would you guys just give up and say what needs to be said?
    Sometimes, I'm just tempted to turn to the dark side and damn the consequences.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just forget all about it?

If it keeps happening - is he really your mate?

ReputationRep:
    Plan B: Guilt them. Point out that you just swallowed your pride and tried to drop an argument which wasn't worth as much as your friendship, but he couldn't even do that for you. Therefore, what kind of friend is he? Etc, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    Plan B: Guilt them. Point out that you just swallowed your pride and tried to drop an argument which wasn't worth as much as your friendship, but he couldn't even do that for you. Therefore, what kind of friend is he? Etc, etc.
    Nice one. This is a good suggestion if the guy is truly a friend.

EDIT: In fact, I'll give a pos+ rep for that.

ReputationRep:
    What did you expect. Being the bigger man is accepting defeat before you've officially lost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cable)
    Nice one. This is a good suggestion if the guy is truly a friend.

EDIT: In fact, I'll give a pos+ rep for that.
    Thank you, favour returned

ReputationRep:
    People interpret things differently? Maybe he thought you were conceeding because you realised you were wrong but didnt want to lose face. its all about position and places with people. let them have their little victory and dont care because at the end of the day its as significant in the long term as writing your initials in the toilets at watford gap.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.