Turn on thread page Beta

Are these A-level choices awkward? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    No. Depends if he's more inclined to the Biological Sciences or to the Physical Sciences. Judging by his course aspirations, he would be more inclined to do the latter, this Further Maths > Biology (at the least), and arguable better than Chemistry (but one needs to recheck this).
    For Physical NatSci at Cambridge, Chemistry is strongly recommended.

(Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    I don't really know about natural science because it's not something I care about but one of my friends is studying it next year with maths, chem, bio and music. He seems to be more into the physical sciences so English may be better replaced with further maths or chemistry. Either would be acceptable. But of course, he may want a variety of subjects (or just really like English).
    Why say anything if you "don't really know"?

True, he may want a variety of subjects, but it seems that the OP is *worried* about his subject choices.

OP: http://www.cam.ac.uk/about/natscitri...dmissions.html

(Original post by bluesky42)
    For Physical NatSci at Cambridge, Chemistry is strongly recommended.
    Depends really:

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...uirements.html

As "A Level Physics, A Level Mathematics and AS Further Mathematics" is considered a useful combination.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/about/natscitri...dmissions.html

I presume OP wants to do either Earth Sciences or Physics - doesn't mention Chemistry as strongly recommended.

Source?

ReputationRep:
    natural sciences / geology are not my only choices - also astrophysics is another major contender - will english hinder that?

ReputationRep:
    Why say anything if you "don't really know"?

True, he may want a variety of subjects, but it seems that the OP is *worried* about his subject choices.

OP: http://www.cam.ac.uk/about/natscitri...dmissions.html
    I said about what I know about (only maths and physics needed for physics) and then I mentioned what I thought (making clear it wasn't definite) about natural sciences because no-one had mentioned it yet.

Oh and you talk about so much stuff you have no idea about. Except you act like you do...

ReputationRep:
    Depends really:

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...uirements.html

As "A Level Physics, A Level Mathematics and AS Further Mathematics" is considered a useful combination.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/about/natscitri...dmissions.html

I presume OP wants to do either Earth Sciences or Physics - doesn't mention Chemistry as strongly recommended.

Source?
    Okay, fair enough. I quoted from memory because I remember looking at the Cambridge site about a year and a half ago when I was deciding whether to apply or not. And then realised that not having Chemistry would put me at a disadvantage.

Either they have become more specific or I remembered incorrectly. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutal)
    natural sciences / geology are not my only choices - also astrophysics is another major contender - will english hinder that?
    Astrophysics normally comes as 'Physics with Astrophysics' and has the same requirements at most unis as straight physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yesnaa)
    Oxbridge look out for candidates who have a range of skills. The three more scientific based subjects show your ability for their degree programme but taking English will show that you can do different things too.
    I think it's more of an advantage because it diversifies you as a candidate and will mark you apart from the rest.
    I thought this when i took History alongside Physics, Maths Further Maths and Chemistry (and General Studies, not optional at my school), but I was rejected without an interview (Mechanical Engineering).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutal)
    It will at cambridge. Cambridge say that the vast majority of admitted applicants had 3 sciences at A-Level, why would a nat sci tutor be impressed with you taking english a level instead of a chemistry/biology a level?

In addition you are thinking about this too early as well. Worry about it next year. When people told me this I ignored them, but you only really discover what you want to do at uni at a level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovedubstep)
    It will at cambridge. Cambridge say that the vast majority of admitted applicants had 3 sciences at A-Level, why would a nat sci tutor be impressed with you taking english a level instead of a chemistry/biology a level?

In addition you are thinking about this too early as well. Worry about it next year. When people told me this I ignored them, but you only really discover what you want to do at uni at a level.
    Can't help but agree. I swapped from an Arts/Humanities subject to a Science subject at the end of year 12. I was so late in deciding that I was going to open days and stating as my interest what I now consider the wrong subject: History. (Don't get me wrong, still lovin' the History!)

ReputationRep:
    good choice but i'd say biology would be more helpful than geography with those degree courses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutal)
    At university, I hope to take either geophysics, natural sciences or astrophysics. However, now, at year 10(Deciding reccomendations for year 11) , with the choices I have, it seems my available choices for A-level are fairly strange:

Maths
    Physics
    Geography
    English

English seems really awkward to take but many unversities other than oxbride don't require more than 1 science A level. Now your probably thinking, why don't you take Chemistry or Biology instead of English. That's because I may not be recommended for either unless I get well in my mock ISA and end of year exam :afraid:.

So my question is, would those 4 A-levels work for my wanted studies at Uni? Or not?

ReputationRep:
    Slip Further maths in for your best chance!
    No only will many, many other applicants have it, but it will really help our maths ability. Also, if your looking at physics at degree level, you must enjoy maths. So win win

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutal)
    If you want to do anything physics-based at university, you are STRONGLY ADVISED to take Further Maths if at all possible - indeed, if your school offers it but you choose not to you will be put at a severe disadvantage at top Russell Group institutions, and especially Cambridge. If you know what you want to do, or at least the broad area, then you really ought to focus your A levels around that. Especially since you are still considering a broad range of degree courses, you don't really have a spare A-level to fit English in - besides, geography is an essay writing subject anyway if you want to head in a totally different direction.

That said, if you want to do NatSci at Cambridge or a science at Oxford, you should be aware that almost all the other applicants will have taken Maths, Further Maths & two sciences to A2 level, and that is their preferred entry profile. I imagine it would be similar for most other top universities - in fact, those are the subjects that almost all of my friends going to do physics have done. Really, most people will, and if you haven't it marks you out in a bad way, so I'd strongly advise that you take those options if you can.

ReputationRep:
    I would only do the "contrasting subject" thing if you genuinely like and enjoy the subject. Otherwise don't bother. It won't help your university application. Do FM/Bio/Chem (or even geology if your school offers it) instead of English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutal)
    At university, I hope to take either geophysics, natural sciences or astrophysics. However, now, at year 10(Deciding reccomendations for year 11) , with the choices I have, it seems my available choices for A-level are fairly strange:

Maths
    Physics
    Geography
    English
    Those A-levels are fine! Further maths would be useful for Astrophysics and Chemistry would be good for Natural Sciences so that you can study a broader range of subjects.

You've got plenty of time to change your mind though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutal)

Maths
    Physics
    Geography
    English

English seems really awkward to take but many unversities other than oxbride don't require more than 1 science A level. Now your probably thinking, why don't you take Chemistry or Biology instead of English. That's because I may not be recommended for either unless I get well in my mock ISA and end of year exam :afraid:.

So my question is, would those 4 A-levels work for my wanted studies at Uni? Or not?
    I'm applying to study geophysics and i'm studying maths, physics, geography, german and economics at AS(a strange combination). Most universities want physics and maths at A level for geophysics and they then say that further maths, chemistry, biology, geography and geology are useful. so if you enjoy english i would carry on with it as you will have three of the subjects they want anyway.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.