Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I live in London and I am applying for a Masters in 'Globalisation & Development Studies' - SOAS, the same at IDS, 'Development Studies' South bank Uni and thinking maybe 'Globalisation, Industrialisation & Development' at Westminster.

Obviously I know getting on a course at SOAS or IDS would be ideal, but if i do not get in there, would anyone recommend either the course at South bank or Westminster? Are both courses reputable or not? Is one more reputable than the other?

Birbeck is another option but I am interested in the Global economics modules that the above offers.

Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Reputable for what?

I would guess Westminster is better but it is hard to say what the better route is without knowing your goal.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to get into development work and wander which Development studies department is more recognised, at Westminster or at Southbank?

Ta

m

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mormonmo)
    I would like to get into development work and wander which Development studies department is more recognised, at Westminster or at Southbank?

Ta

m
    Have you got any development experience? I recommend you get a couple of years before starting a masters degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beefmaster)
    Have you got any development experience? I recommend you get a couple of years before starting a masters degree.
    Ideal plan... but a masters degree is usually an entry-level qualification these days... :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by der.verrueckte)
    Ideal plan... but a masters degree is usually an entry-level qualification these days... :s
    This isn't a requirement. Look at small organisations. I have worked for two organisations since graduating from my undergraduate degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beefmaster)
    This isn't a requirement. Look at small organisations. I have worked for two organisations since graduating from my undergraduate degree.
    are these paid jobs?

ReputationRep:
    are these paid jobs?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    cool then. But my experience has not been very fruitful and I have looked into small organisations as well. I actually volunteer in two of them because they don't have the resources. Of all the employment opportunities I have had, these are all being unpaid. Which organisations are you currently working for?

ReputationRep:
    cool then. But my experience has not been very fruitful and I have looked into small organisations as well. I actually volunteer in two of them because they don't have the resources. Of all the employment opportunities I have had, these are all being unpaid. Which organisations are you currently working for?
    I don't want to say on a public forum.

If you are very interested in development the best thing to do is to relocate abroad and look for work when you get there. Most of the positions at small NGOs are not advertised and you have to simply ask around when you get to a country. The places where the NGO workers hang around are pretty limited so it is very easy to find them to ask about positions in local NGOs!

ReputationRep:
    are you suggesting to relocate without knowing where you will work, or if you'd be able to work at all? that sounds like crazy advise!

ReputationRep:
    are you suggesting to relocate without knowing where you will work, or if you'd be able to work at all? that sounds like crazy advise!
    Hey it worked for nearly every person I know out here working in the field of development. Applying for jobs from abroad is extremely hard unless you have years of experience. When you are 'in country' there are lots of entry level jobs that are not advertised.

If you are ever stuck for employment in a developing country there are always opportunities for language teaching.

ReputationRep:
    Getting practical campaigning and work experience definitely helps a lot. I'm doing a (paid) People & Planet internship working on an anti-sweatshop campaign, the only experience I had before that was in local and university campaigning. They're advertising next year's internships soon if anyone's interested

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.