Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janet9)
    Use Microsoft OneNote - it's the BEST note-taking tool out there. I always had it lurking in a corner of my computer, until I finally decided to open it and see what it was all about. It was probably the best thing I've ever found when it comes to computers and productivity. I'm much faster at typing than I am at writing, I believe it's more effortless, and with OneNote, reviewing and searching is a breeze. I recommend getting a small netbook, and a Wacom Bamboo graphics tablet. In a lecture, you occupy the same room as with a ring binder, less so, when the tablet is on your lap. Please check out OneNote - it changed my life, and I really do love it and will never look back. I haven't totally scrapped pen and paper, sometimes I have a notepad out for quick notes. Make sure everything is backed up on your laptop too. OneNote all the way!!!!
    Have you been groomed by Bill Gates or something?

ReputationRep:
    I use pen and paper, the internet distracts me when I have my laptop

ReputationRep:
    So there's wireless access in most uni buildings these days then too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeterno)
    Tbf, every time I see someone with a laptop in a lecture I want to take it away from them and bash them over the head with it

You could always type up your notes later if you want a neater version.

Incessant tapping is just plain annoying
    I have to use a laptop in my lectures. I wish I could hand-write them but if I actually want to be able to take notes, let alone be able to read them, I have to use a laptop. Terribly sorry if my "incessant tapping" is annoying but I have certain problems that make it impossible for me to write legible notes (I'm not talking about neat, I'm saying legible. Big difference) for an hour, let alone the 3 hour lectures I have, without being in agony. I can just about manage 10 minutes or so of the lecture before I have to stop writing if I'm doing it by hand.

What I'm trying to say, don't assume that everybody could hand-write notes in lectures. If you look at me you won't be able to tell that I have these issues.. It's only when I start to hand-write that it becomes obvious.

(Original post by janet9)
    Use Microsoft OneNote - it's the BEST note-taking tool out there. I always had it lurking in a corner of my computer, until I finally decided to open it and see what it was all about. It was probably the best thing I've ever found when it comes to computers and productivity. I'm much faster at typing than I am at writing, I believe it's more effortless, and with OneNote, reviewing and searching is a breeze. I recommend getting a small netbook, and a Wacom Bamboo graphics tablet. In a lecture, you occupy the same room as with a ring binder, less so, when the tablet is on your lap. Please check out OneNote - it changed my life, and I really do love it and will never look back. I haven't totally scrapped pen and paper, sometimes I have a notepad out for quick notes. Make sure everything is backed up on your laptop too. OneNote all the way!!!!
    I've just found it!

This looks like it could be fun to use.. I shall play around with it..

Thank you!

As for the OP:

I'm the only person in my lectures (I'm doing geography) that uses a laptop. I feel so silly sitting in there but I have to do it. Last year when I was a history student there was a few other people who used laptops but the most I ever saw in a lecture of about 60 students was 10 or so laptops. Most people do hand-write.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Larrabee)
    Uni campuses tend to have their own wireless networks.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone record lectures? I'm not very good at note taking and if I just immersed myself in listening, I'd get a lot out of it, then listen to it back and make notes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackf1337)
    Does anyone record lectures? I'm not very good at note taking and if I just immersed myself in listening, I'd get a lot out of it, then listen to it back and make notes?
    I don't know anyone that records the lectures but most (if not all) lecturers put up the lecture slides online after the lecture is over, although my lecturers put up incomplete slides so that students have to turn up to get all the info.

If you want to record lectures, I think it'd be best to ask the lecturer's permission first, as some might not allow it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Larrabee)
    Oh yes. It is very tempting. I'm pretty lucky though.. All of the lectures for all of my modules are put up onto blackboard so I generally only take notes on what the lecturer is saying and if they're just reading off the slide I check facebook...

Even more funny in the 2 modules I have where the lecture powerpoints go up onto blackboard about 10 minutes before the lecture (the other modules go up after the lecture). I sit there watching people furiously scribble down the information from the slides where I can sit there with it on my laptop and just add in what the lecturer says on the note part under the slide on powerpoint... So much easier
    (I have asked some people why they bother copying the slides instead of downloading the powerpoint from blackboard later on in the day and they say it's because they want to have all the information in one place.. :dontknow: )

Not to mention that I also have a Dictaphone so if I do miss anything I just take a quick note of how far into the lecture it is and listen again...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemini92)
    I don't know anyone that records the lectures but most (if not all) lecturers put up the lecture slides online after the lecture is over, although my lecturers put up incomplete slides so that students have to turn up to get all the info.

If you want to record lectures, I think it'd be best to ask the lecturer's permission first, as some might not allow it.
    Ah that's handy.
    It's just I'm not a very good listener or note taker, so this option would be logical :P

Yeah probably, although I wouldn't ever give it to anyone/sell it etc.

I've heard that some Uni's realise them as Podcasts through iTunes U?

ReputationRep:
    Wierd, I've always thought everyone in England used laptop for taking notes in lectures Maybe I should go out and buy a pen then..

ReputationRep:
    Ah that's handy.
    It's just I'm not a very good listener or note taker, so this option would be logical :P

Yeah probably, although I wouldn't ever give it to anyone/sell it etc.

I've heard that some Uni's realise them as Podcasts through iTunes U?
    You should still ask permission. I have no idea regarding the podcasts but it wouldn't surprise of some unis do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemini92)
    You should still ask permission. I have no idea regarding the podcasts but it wouldn't surprise of some unis do.
    Yeah I just checked it out, looks awesome, not many places do it. I hope the Uni I end up going to does it

ReputationRep:
    Most distracting thing ever:

When the person sat in front of you is having a Skype, video convo during a lecture.

Irritating much?

ReputationRep:
    I do!

I do prefer taking notes on my laptop and have my Dictaphone as a back-up if I miss anything.
    I do ask permission of every lecturer that I have if I can do it though. Never had any issues. However, that is because the dyslexia department (dyslexia is another issue I have but that department is the one that manages my other issues as well) here does contact all your lecturers (with your consent) beforehand to let them know that I have to be allowed to use a laptop and a Dictaphone in my lectures. But I still ask because it's polite.

I've never heard of anybody in my uni, regardless if the lecturer has been contacted by any of the disability departments or not, being refused permission to record a lecture.

However, I have heard issues at other unis. I know of somebody at another uni who finally got her funding through to have a note-taker (basically somebody is paid to sit in your lecture with you and take notes for you) in her lectures. Her third or fourth lecture with her note-taker, the lecturer was a substitute (and hadn't been told about the note-taker). She stopped the lecture, told this person to stand up and asked her why she wasn't taking notes, didn't even give her a chance to explain and chucked her out of the lecture.

So yeah, if you do, make sure that every lecturer you have is OK with you recording them. They should be fine and my ones let me leave my Dictaphone near to them... (Which is a help because generally the plugs at at the back of the room so I have to sit at the back with my laptop and I wouldn't be able to record them from there..)

EDIT:

Seriously, as soon as you get to uni, go find the dyslexia unit. They're not just for dyslexic students (they're usually called the learning support unit or something but most people call them the dyslexia unit) they're for everyone to use, even people who don't have specific learning disabilities. They might be able to help you get funding for a Dictaphone or even having a note-taker.

ReputationRep:
    In some of my lectures there are quite a large proportion of people on laptops and netbooks but it's certainly not the majority. Pen and paper all the way :p:. Besides, I'd get distracted by TSR if I took my laptop to lectures, not to mention it weighs roughly the same amount as a small sack of bricks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hravan)
    I have to use a laptop in my lectures. I wish I could hand-write them but if I actually want to be able to take notes, let alone be able to read them, I have to use a laptop. Terribly sorry if my "incessant tapping" is annoying but I have certain problems that make it impossible for me to write legible notes (I'm not talking about neat, I'm saying legible. Big difference) for an hour, let alone the 3 hour lectures I have, without being in agony. I can just about manage 10 minutes or so of the lecture before I have to stop writing if I'm doing it by hand.

What I'm trying to say, don't assume that everybody could hand-write notes in lectures. If you look at me you won't be able to tell that I have these issues.. It's only when I start to hand-write that it becomes obvious.
    I don't have a problem with people using laptops if they have a genuine reason. But the majority of people who use them don't have problems, they just want to waste time on the internet and pretend to type notes when they're actually on Facebook and having a conversation with their friends (who most of the time are sat right next to them).

I have a problem with the people who don't need one and use it instead of good old pen and paper. My lecture groups are small so usually if there's someone who genuinely needs a laptop, the whole group knows.

Basically, don't assume I'm being a ****

ReputationRep:
    OneNote is godly... but I ended up back at word so I can type into handouts easier.

ReputationRep:
    Majority use pen or paper.
    50% of the laptops in my lecture the other day at were playing pokemon. I love the people on my course.

ReputationRep:
    Even in my Computer Science lectures laptops are in the minority. Note taking on a laptop is often very cumbersome in most subjects where notes often consist of diagrams, formula, etc. it's just easier and quicker to write/draw it by hand

ReputationRep:
    Most people who take laptops end up doing other random things than paying attention the lecture, and this is very distracting for the people who sit behind them. Also, typing makes a fair amount of noise and is ****ing irritating.
    The only people who should have laptops in lectures are people who genuinely have significant problems with writing (like a recognised disability), to be honest.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.