Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    Most people who take laptops end up doing other random things than paying attention the lecture, and this is very distracting for the people who sit behind them. Also, typing makes a fair amount of noise and is ****ing irritating.
    The only people who should have laptops in lectures are people who genuinely have significant problems with writing (like a recognised disability), to be honest.
    or an here is an idea people can remember we live in the 21st century everything is done on computers these days which was once done on paper

books
    databases
    files
    even money for the most part
    etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kopite493)
    or an here is an idea people can remember we live in the 21st century everything is done on computers these days which was once done on paper

books
    databases
    files
    even money for the most part
    etc
    What's your point? Just because you can do something, you should?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    What's your point? Just because you can do something, you should?
    no my point is a lot of people obviously find it easier and just cause it 'irritates you' shouldn't mean they should be made to make things harder for them self just like you have the option to use pen and paper cause you find it easier

i for one type much quicker than i write therefore i would miss things my lecturer says if im writing.

if you find the typing irritating then sit away from them unless there smashing the keys on their laptop then you could be say 5/6 seats away and not hear them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hravan)
    I have to use a laptop in my lectures. I wish I could hand-write them but if I actually want to be able to take notes, let alone be able to read them, I have to use a laptop. Terribly sorry if my "incessant tapping" is annoying but I have certain problems that make it impossible for me to write legible notes (I'm not talking about neat, I'm saying legible. Big difference) for an hour, let alone the 3 hour lectures I have, without being in agony. I can just about manage 10 minutes or so of the lecture before I have to stop writing if I'm doing it by hand.

What I'm trying to say, don't assume that everybody could hand-write notes in lectures. If you look at me you won't be able to tell that I have these issues.. It's only when I start to hand-write that it becomes obvious.

I've just found it!

This looks like it could be fun to use.. I shall play around with it..

Thank you!

As for the OP:

I'm the only person in my lectures (I'm doing geography) that uses a laptop. I feel so silly sitting in there but I have to do it. Last year when I was a history student there was a few other people who used laptops but the most I ever saw in a lecture of about 60 students was 10 or so laptops. Most people do hand-write.
    How do you manage in exams? If you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Most people usually just take pens and paper. From what i've heard, the only people who take their laptops are those that own macbooks and like to flash the apple logo everywhere they go.

ReputationRep:
    only nerds use their laptops, you will get bullied if you turn up with an ipad

ReputationRep:
    I personally find it easier to learn notes that I have handwritten. I don't know why this is. Maybe it's just because I'm used to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaz1992)
    Most people usually just take pens and paper. From what i've heard, the only people who take their laptops are those that own macbooks and like to flash the apple logo everywhere they go.

Well I do have a macbook, I'd hate for people to think I was 'flashing' it! It was pretty useful in my previous design career and I've lost the knack of using a PC!

ReputationRep:
    nahhh, pen and paper is fine really. Theres only like 1 or 2 people in my lecture who actually uses a laptop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tobeconfirmed)
    I personally find it easier to learn notes that I have handwritten. I don't know why this is. Maybe it's just because I'm used to it.
    same here

ReputationRep:
    Not many people on my course use their laptops in lectures, more do in seminars. As there aren't many people on my course we get small rooms and the tapping on keys becomes really annoying and distracting.

ReputationRep:
    So many people use laptops in our lectures. The noise is immense. Idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Larrabee)
    Well I do have a macbook, I'd hate for people to think I was 'flashing' it! It was pretty useful in my previous design career and I've lost the knack of using a PC!
    You're not a poser then.

People who have a Macbook and leave it on at the homescreen with no programs loaded on it with the typical MAC home picture showing and have it out with them everywhere are the type of people i'm talking about.

They leave it on all the time like this with this background image:

http://controlyourmac.com/images/screenshot_switch.png

A lot like these guys:

:rolleyes:

Edit: Forth row, second from the right - They've bought a HP Laptop . If I was there, i'd bring an XPS M1730 quadcore to simply laugh at the puney core 2's that hardly hit 2Ghz per core :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your subject.

In law it's probably 30-50% who use laptops, depends on the class and the university. Mostly this is because in law lectures the best thing to do sometimes is literally write out everything the lecturer says and it's faster and more efficient to do so on a laptop. If you have to write very quickly and you scribble you won't have very good notes. But some lecturers have different styles - some give you condensed versions of the textbook with new critique which you'd be wise to get it all down. You can also record your lectures if you so wish. Law lectures aren't like school lessons where you'd be ostracised for laptop use in a room where you are being taught - in lectures you are spoken to and they aren't generally interactive unlike tutorials.

Whether you'd prefer to use it depends on you and your subject.

(Original post by Larrabee)
    Hmm, I do find it easier and quicker to type than to handwrite, and text files are so much easier to keep organised than sheets of paper!

However, the course I'm doing will require me to write by hand quickly and legibly so I should probably get used to it.

I guess I'll play it by ear.
    In my lectures, there's a fairly even split. It's entirely up to you whether or not you use a laptop, but from experience, it's a lot easier. I'm using OneNote to organise my notes and the main advantage is that I can search across multiple notebooks for the topic I'm looking for (in addition to the fact that it's easier to back up electronic notes). I did start using pen and paper at the beginning of this term, but had given up within the first fortnight. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Imagine all those macs typing at the same time....deafening.

I have a mac but it's for power and programs I need atm.

How are you meant to type an equation on the fly in a lecture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0906079)
    How do you manage in exams? If you don't mind me asking?
    I use a computer in my exams.

There are always a few people who are allowed the use of a computer in their exams. At my uni we're all put into one of the computer rooms in the library*. We don't log into our own accounts though, there are special exam accounts which have a program that logs everything you click on. There's no internet access or anything on it. Then we print it off and hand it in. We are given the normal answer booklet in case we want to do any diagrams or plan or whatever. After we print it off, we stick it inside the answer booklet and the invigilator ties it together..
    Was the same for my GCSEs and A levels. Although, at GCSE and A level, the spell-checker was disabled... At uni I do have a spell-checker on Word in my exams.. I feel like such a cheat for using it but I do. (I do ask if I was allowed to use it and they said that I could so... ) :sigh:

*Obviously at the same time that all the normal people are doing their exam somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hravan)
    I use a computer in my exams.

There are always a few people who are allowed the use of a computer in their exams. At my uni we're all put into one of the computer rooms in the library*. We don't log into our own accounts though, there are special exam accounts which have a program that logs everything you click on. There's no internet access or anything on it. Then we print it off and hand it in. We are given the normal answer booklet in case we want to do any diagrams or plan or whatever. After we print it off, we stick it inside the answer booklet and the invigilator ties it together..
    Was the same for my GCSEs and A levels. Although, at GCSE and A level, the spell-checker was disabled... At uni I do have a spell-checker on Word in my exams.. I feel like such a cheat for using it but I do. (I do ask if I was allowed to use it and they said that I could so... ) :sigh:

*Obviously at the same time that all the normal people are doing their exam somewhere else.
    Interesting. Well, do you have to have a disability to be allowed that?

There's nothing wrong with me per se but I find I can't concentrate as much when I write and my handwriting is awful + I write slowly too. I did all my exams the normal way at GCSEs and AS levels and really I think I could've gotten better results if I had typed. :/

How did you bring about the topic of using a computer for your exams with your teacher? I'm not really sure what I'd say tbh because I can write fine but would really, REALLY prefer to type instead.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.