Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Could someone give me some details as to me what this thing is? I have googled it, but no details came up.

ReputationRep:
    Its a fitness test, you have to run from one side to the other, 20 meters before the beep, beep gets faster and faster

ReputationRep:
    Did you never do it in PE at school?

It's kinda like torture

ReputationRep:
    You run from one end of a 20 metre space to the other. When you hear the beep, you run back.
    As time gets on, the beep is faster and faster, so you have to run faster and you get less time to rest.
    I hate it.

I also heard that it was banned after one child had a heart attack and died.
    If you don't want to do the test (you're no good at running), say you're afraid of having a heart attack.

ReputationRep:
    IT IS HORRIBLE

The highest I got was level 8, in year 9 hahaha, it is a TORTURE

ReputationRep:
    I used to love it because I was pretty good at it, but to each their own.

Basically it is a test of endurance and, towards the latter end, speed. It is an essential tool for testing the capabilities of athletes.

Count yourself lucky, at my hockey training we used to do this as a warm-up every week. Followed later on by a pyramid (also known as suicide/doggy, run to 25>baseline>50>baseline>75>basel ine>100>baseline occasionally x2)! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    20 minutes of physical torture.

Don't worry though, you only have to do one lap more than the first kid that drops out.

ReputationRep:
    Ughh.. I still have nightmares about this from Year 4.

ReputationRep:
    I remember getting 16.7 in mine, back in the day!

It's a fitness test, testing you, basically, how far you can run. There are lines, or cones, 20 meters apart, the 'bleeps' sound when you should have arrived at the lines. They are 10 bleeps in a stage. The bleeps are slow to begin with- start with a walk and try to skip the beats to stay ahead [top tip!]- but increase by stage.
    It is pretty simple, and practically a measure of timed running from one end to another.

Quote me if you have any other questions!
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I use to love the challenge when I was at school. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I remember that being pretty fun seeing all the fat kids drop out after a few bleeps :ahee:

Not a nice feeling when you really slowly start to fall behind the bleep though :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    i used to like it
    it was tough but gave you an idea of your fitness
    and not to sound harsh but when someone couldnt get passed middle of level 1 it was kinda funny

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it! By definition you have to run until you pass out basically (although I just gave up after 2 or 3 other people quit), so it is essentially torture. IMO it's just designed to give the rugby players something to compete in to prove masculinity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DLJ)
    I remember getting 16.7 in mine, back in the day!
    :zomg:

I think my limit was about 4 :emo:

ReputationRep:
    It was torture now, as I remember it. But am quite naturally fit, so quite liked it how I was one of the last standing (Quite literally compared with some of the kids who dropped out ).

I'm also quite naturally competitive so found myself down to the last two running, with some fitness freak plays-every-sport person, and I was literally dying. But I wouldn't be beat and DID beat her in the end.
    Then 20 seconds later I nearly fainted Had to sit with head between knees etc. Didn't feel right for about 2 hours, kept going dizzy.

Quiet horrid if you don't like a challenge.

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you're not the first person to drop out and it's fine
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    its biased towards light people as you have to keep turning around. Back in the day, i could beat everyone in the PE class round a track but i'm pretty stocky and when it came to running back and forth i really struggled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loonyplatypus)
    :zomg:

I think my limit was about 4 :emo:
    4 is still good :rolleyes:

But I WAS super-fit then. Was being two years ago, before I indulged myself in Asda branded Onion Rings by the bucket load :coma:.

ReputationRep:
    It goes something like this:

Run
    Beep
    Run
    Beep
    Run
    Beep
    Run
    Beep
    Run
    Beep
    Run
    Beep
    Run
    Beep
    Run
    Beep
    Run
    Beep
    Run
    Beep
    Run
    Beep
    Run
    Beep

Repeat till you collapse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    It goes something like this:

Run
    Beep
    Run
    Beep
    Run
    Beep
    Run
    Beep
    Run
    Beep
    Run
    Beep
    Run
    Beep
    Run
    Beep
    Run
    Beep
    Run
    Beep
    Run
    Beep
    Run
    Beep

Repeat till you collapse.
    Yep, what he said. But probably some more running and beeping, let's be honest

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.