Turn on thread page Beta

How important would you say it is to have at least one science at A-Level? watch

I don't know whether to do Physics or Geography because I don't know if I'm going to be biting off more than I can chew when it comes to Physics...

I'll also be picking, Business, English Language and maybe Sociology or French.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I suggest taking some priority subjects? E.g. English Literature instead of Language?

ReputationRep:
    Completely depends on what you want to do.

If you want to do a BA, probably not that important.

I don't do a single science subject, and with my academic history I still got 5 offers, including from York, Lancaster and Royal Holloway

ReputationRep:
    It really depends what you want to do, its all well and good for muffinz to say english is a priority subject ... but its really not.

I do Bio, Phys and Maths, and whenever i tell someone that that always think wow or something along those lines, doing science just looks good. I do them because i happen to be better at them but still...

I think i good balance is always a good thing, this will show potential employers and universities that you can turn your hand to anything. However A level physics is difficult, I found GCSE's pretty effortless to give you an indication of my intelligence, and i find physics pretty, well very hard going at times. Unless you are a naturally physicsy person i suggest you do not take it. However if you still fancy doing a science, which i would recomend, i would go for chemisty or biology if you in much doubt as to you physic's mindedness.

With sciences i think the kind of person you are is very important, for example i find bio a doddle, but the other two in my class find it very difficult, they however find chemisty a doddle, and when i did it (i dropped it ) i found it more challenging than biology.

I would suggest you don't go for sociology because ... well its a bit of a "*******s" subject.

Remember though sciences will be more likely to get you an offer from uni, it will be harder to get the grade than it would in say sociology.

What are you thinking of doing after A-levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homebrewstress)
    Remember though sciences will be more likely to get you an offer from uni, it will be harder to get the grade than it would in say sociology.
    Maybe for a BSc course but not for a BA :/

ReputationRep:
    i mean for a general course tbh , not science or art, like law for example. Lets see i mean a course for which academic intelligence is required, rather than creativity and artistic intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    i mean for a general course tbh , not science or art, like law for example. Lets see i mean a course for which academic intelligence is required, rather than creativity and artistic intelligence.
    Ahh I forgot that History etc isn't academic
    Not an expert or a keyboard warrior but friends wanting to do law have been advised to study subjects which develop debate skills such as English and History.

Aaaanywaay, in terms of the OP's life, the advice I've heard is not to take physics unless you're sure you can do it (if you want the highest grades) as it's so intense

ReputationRep:
    Do Physics!

ReputationRep:
    If you'd think you'd struggle with physics, don't take it. Take geography instead, and no, its not an A level in colouring in.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to say do physics, cos it's just better, but in my opinion you have to pick the A levels that you're going to enjoy and do well in, not something you'll struggle with and get stressed out with and do worse in as a consequence. I think if you're not that into science then physics might be a bit much

ReputationRep:
    Well i am doing law and i did all sciences at A level

ReputationRep:
    It depends, if you'd be able to achieve highly in it then its definitely worth it

ReputationRep:
    It's good to have a rounded application, but I don't think it's that important. Plus it really depends on if the subject suits you / you have a knack for the subject - I did Physics, and it just sort of clicked for me so didn't really require much effort. If taking it will mean you get a worse grade, then don't do it - it's better to get an A in geo than a B in physics, even if physics is seen as harder.

Really though, I think people here overanalyse uni apps an unhealthy amount on TSR. Just pick the subject you enjoy the most. Do you really think taking physics vs geography will be the difference between you getting an offer and not getting an offer?

ReputationRep:
    It partly depends what you want to study beyond A-level and your personal interests. Only choose the science if you're genuinely interested in studying it, not just because it's a "science." Of course, studying a science alongside humanities subjects can broaden your knowledge base (the same can be said for someone studying predominantly humanities subjects, like me).

Also, I think French would put you in much better stead for university entry/jobs than sociology. Languages are highly respected by universities and employers because so few people study them nowadays; sociology, on the other hand, is often considered as a "less desired" subject by some of the more academic universities.

ReputationRep:
    Science is very important!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omlaaay)
    I don't know whether to do Physics or Geography because I don't know if I'm going to be biting off more than I can chew when it comes to Physics...

I'll also be picking, Business, English Language and maybe Sociology or French.
    Why would you want to choose physics? Just because it's a science or because it's relevant to your uni hopes?

ReputationRep:
    It really depends what you want to do, its all well and good for muffinz to say english is a priority subject ... but its really not.

I do Bio, Phys and Maths, and whenever i tell someone that that always think wow or something along those lines, doing science just looks good. I do them because i happen to be better at them but still...

I think i good balance is always a good thing, this will show potential employers and universities that you can turn your hand to anything. However A level physics is difficult, I found GCSE's pretty effortless to give you an indication of my intelligence, and i find physics pretty, well very hard going at times. Unless you are a naturally physicsy person i suggest you do not take it. However if you still fancy doing a science, which i would recomend, i would go for chemisty or biology if you in much doubt as to you physic's mindedness.

With sciences i think the kind of person you are is very important, for example i find bio a doddle, but the other two in my class find it very difficult, they however find chemisty a doddle, and when i did it (i dropped it ) i found it more challenging than biology.

I would suggest you don't go for sociology because ... well its a bit of a "*******s" subject.

What are you thinking of doing after A-levels
    Doing any academic subject looks good. I'm studying French, Spanish, History and Maths and people's eyes stand out on stalks before I even mention Maths. I appreciate the importance of science, but I think a lot of emphasis - sometimes too much - is put on it without regard to other highly valued/difficult subjects, like History, languages and English.

ReputationRep:
    It matters not what you study when you apply for law. Universities put a lot of effort into letting applicants know that it doesn't matter whether you study science, humanities, or a combination of both at A-level - all are equally valued, as long as they're traditional academic subjects. Law draws on skills from both sciences and humanities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellziii)
    Maybe for a BSc course but not for a BA :/
    Oxford Mathematics BA says different. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Any subject that requires physics will probably require maths, which you don't have. So there is little gain for you in taking Physics.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.