Turn on thread page Beta

Please help me look good for spring. Pics included. watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I'm Jennet, new to these forums.
    (I hope I have posted in the right place - I didn't know whether or not to post in the 'makeup' section when I'm asking for help with fashion and hair too!)

So a month ago, me and my boyfriend broke up after 5 years together, and I was absolutely heartbroken. I'm trying to get over him, and slowly but surely focusing on taking care of myself.

Here's the thing: It's the summer holidays soon, and we were planning to hang out as friends during the break - and I want to look great for when I next see him! I want to show him that I'm doing well without him. It's not about getting him back, but more about reminding him what he let go.

I am a beginner with makeup, hair, and fashion, so I need the help of more experienced girls to tell me what would look best on me for this spring.

*P.S! I was bullied a lot at school because of the way I looked, but I think I'm finally coming to terms with what I've got, and would love to be able to accentuate my best features, as a lot of the time I feel unconfident and a mess.
    ________________________________ ________________________________ ________________________________ _________________
    Here is a video I made of me trying to get over the breakup >>http://vimeo.com/21084156<<
    I know it's stupid, but I was trying to cheer myself up when I was depressed, and was never meant to be seen by anyone but close friends, so please don't judge me too harshly on it.
    It has some closeups so hopefully it'll give you guys some ideas on what would be best for my colouring/face shape etc.

________________________________ ________________________________ ________________________________ _________________

Hair>> I got my hair cut short because I have a long/rectangular face shape, and read that that would balance it out, but I've decided to grow it out - any tips on what hairstyle you think would suit me?

Fashion>> I am not conventionally attractive, so I tend to go for cute rather than gorgeous/sexy, which I think is easier to pull off. My body is straight up and down. Do you guys have any suggestions on what would look good on me clotheswise this springtime?

Makeup>> I'm a beginner. I've tried doing nice makeup a couple of times before, but I feel that whenever I go out, people are staring at me. I'm worried that it's because I have too much on, or it doesn't suit me? So tips are really appreciated! The only makeup I tend to wear everyday at the mo is Bourjois concealer/Mabelline Dream Matt powder, as I have acne and don't want to go uncovered. That said, I do have eyeliners, mascaras, eyeshadows, blush, and a few lipglosses. I just don't know what looks good. I try things out, and go out feeling okay, but outside I feel like people are laughing at me, or staring at me as though they are disgusted, so I'm probably doing something wrong.

Please help me. I really want to look pretty for when I see my ex again! I have no clue as to what's in fashion, so this is your opportunity to try out your makeover skills on someone who really needs it!

Thanks guys!
    Jennet

ReputationRep:
    Hiya hopefully I can be of some assistance.

Hair > Your current hair cut is lovely, just you probably need to flatten it a bit. If you dry it after coming out of the shower, it will be more sleek - at the moment it's a bit big which doesn't suit your face.

Make-up > It's really something to experiment with at home before going out. And also test in different lights - my bathroom light is a bit harsh so always makes me look like I'm wearing too much, but my bedroom light makes the same make-up look perfect... Start off with the basics - foundation/tinted moisturiser, mascara, blusher and lipgloss. You can branch out into more colourful stuff when you've had a go at these.

Fashion > You don't have to go head first into every trend that comes by, but just dip into them. Get a good pair of bootcut jeans, skinny jeans, some smart trousers, a white shirt, a blazer and a black dress and they'll last if you keep them properly. Also pretty things like florals and dresses don't really go out of fashion. Build up a wardrobe of pretty things that are comfortable. Then you can add accessories to tap into trends... It's worth experimenting with to see which trends suit you and what you're comfortable with.

Hope that's a little help... send me a PM if you need any more help x

ReputationRep:
    I can't see your vid so I'm going to give you general tips!

Fashion-wise, I second cchanuk's florals suggestion! Cute floral tea-dresses etc ftw Primark are always a great bet for day dresses! Make sure your shoes work well with your dresses, delicate sandals or ballet pumps are always a good bet for day, you just have to make sure they don't look clumpy with your dress.

Primark's good all over for reinventing your style really, 'coz it's so cheap Their skinny jeans are fantastic, so get a supply of them. Team skinnies with a vest or a funky graphic-tee, and a pretty brightly-coloured cardigan, with kitten heels if you want a bit of smartness. If there's anything you've seen in a magazine, or a website, or on someone that you like the look of, Primark's probably the place where you can piece together a similar outfit. Don't feel afraid to try something on that you'd never normally wear! And don't feel disheartened if it doesn't look right, some things just suit you much better than others!

H&M's really good for getting yourself a new look as well.

Make-up wise, go and find yourself a really good foundation - it can take ages, but once you find one that's perfect for your skin tone you'll be set! Foundation, powder if you're a little oily, a little blusher and bronzer, mascara and lipgloss is really all you need, even for going-out make-up. You can go to most make-up counters and get a free lesson in eye make-up for example, eg. at Bobbi Brown or Mac, but don't feel pressured to buy the products if you don't want to! You can always just say you want to go outside and see how it looks in the daylight and have a walk around for a while to make sure you feel comfortable with it before buying. Actually, daylight is a really good point, especially with foundation you need to see what it's like on your face in daylight, not shop lights.

Hair-wise, trawl the net and hair magazines for inspiration, and ask your hairdresser. Something as simple as changing your parting or having your fringe slightly different can massively change how you look.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much, guys! I really appreciate the tips and advice -- I will try to get my mirror in front of a window for natural light, so I can tell what I'm going to look like when I'm outside.

I'd love to flatten my hair a bit more - I towel dry it when I come out of the shower, but it's sort of naturally springy so it doesn't do much to tame it. I've always towel dried, so maybe it's time to invest in a hairdryer, that might make it a bit more manageable (fingers crossed).

If anyone else has any advice for me at all, about anything, I would love some more suggestions. Thanks for taking the time, I really am clueless when it comes to this stuff.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hair - it would suit you if it was a little more sleek. I think an inverted bob would suit you.

Make-up - Try and keep make-up light - foundation, perhaps a peachy/coral blusher, a pink tinted lipbalm and mascara.

Clothes - rather than trying to buy a new wardrobe, try and buy a few essential pieces you can wear with anything - eg. skinny jeans, blazer, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - I just googled inverted bob, and they do look really nice. I'd love hair like that.
    I like the idea of keeping the makeup light as well, so that I don't look like I've deliberately gone and made a massive effort when I see him - it just looks like I'm doing well.

Please if anyone else has any advice for me, that would be great. I really appreciate you all helping me out.
    I see all of these beautiful, pretty girls when I go out, and although I know that I'll never look like them, I wish I could look at least better than I do now, so I can hold myself with some confidence.

ReputationRep:
    I love your haircut! Really suits you.

I would definetly start using some kind of blusher, just a light pink that looks natural, because you look a tad washed out (might just be in the vid, though). Eyeline would suit your eyes perfectly, invest in a liquid eyeliner and just put along the top thinly from the middle of the eye out to the edge, make the eyes the focus of your makeup but not looking fake Some mascara too, if you would like.

You look tall? So i'm thinking skinny jeans and a checkered shirt or top (I don't know what kind of fashion style you like/have).

But honestly, you're a beautiful girl and really the only thing that can 'improve' you as you wish is to just become happy with who you really are. Wow i'm cliche.

ReputationRep:
    Meerkaatt - thanks so much for the constructive advice about my makeup, I really appreciate it!
    Yes, I will definitely try some blush, and also eyeliner from the middle of my eye to the outer edge to see how it looks. The hard part is trying to make it look natural, but I'll just stick to the 'less is more' rule, and hopefully it will work out.
    Unfortunately, I'm actually pretty short, 5"4. I like the idea of a checkered top, though, as I love those lumberjack shirts and have a few oversized ones already. I'm alternative in my fashion sense, and am normally quite boyish, although I'm thinking I should go a bit girlier for spring....?

Thanks so much for your kind words, too. I'm starting to feel a lot better about my appearance, thanks to people like you. It's a great feeling!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennet)
    Meerkaatt - thanks so much for the constructive advice about my makeup, I really appreciate it!
    Yes, I will definitely try some blush, and also eyeliner from the middle of my eye to the outer edge to see how it looks. The hard part is trying to make it look natural, but I'll just stick to the 'less is more' rule, and hopefully it will work out.
    Unfortunately, I'm actually pretty short, 5"4. I like the idea of a checkered top, though, as I love those lumberjack shirts and have a few oversized ones already. I'm alternative in my fashion sense, and am normally quite boyish, although I'm thinking I should go a bit girlier for spring....?

Thanks so much for your kind words, too. I'm starting to feel a lot better about my appearance, thanks to people like you. It's a great feeling!
    No worries yes, play around with different ways of putting on eyeliner to see which way you prefer the way I suggested is the way I do it, but of course this isn't to everyone's preference
    I love alternative fashion styles! I sometimes incorparate into my own outfits, such as checkered shirts buttoned all the way up and tucking it into high waisted shortss. I definetly think the boyish look is fashionable and something worth embracing, it's a popular look even for the more 'girlish' girls. Personally, I tend to mix up my 'boyish' and girlie, floral looks so that I'm not associated with the extreme of either but it all depends what kind of patterns you prefer

And really!? I thought you were about 5'8! Haha :P

ReputationRep:
    lol, I feel like a dwarf a lot of the time because everyone I know is, like, 6ft.

Your style sounds really cool! I'd love to try some high wasted trousers myself, I love anything that looks in any way old fashioned, and they remind me of the 1930's. Don't know what looks good on shorties, haha

At least I look tall on film, that's something!

ReputationRep:
    Hair>> The haircut looks nice on you - but maybe give yourself more volume at the top of the head with some layers and such? I have a rectangular face shape too and read that hair should not be cut above chin length and that the hairstyle which suits us best is shoulder length, layered, side fringed and if you want to go all out, lightly curled

Fashion>> There's loads of spring looks that are cute! Definitely go out and buy some fashion magazines e.g. marie claire, vogue etc. the clothes on there would be wayyy too expensive for the likes of us but can give inspiration on how to put together outfits and whats on trend. Because you're up and down figure (like me - snap again!) you really have to emphasise your waist with belts when wearing dresses. Do you have any particular 'look' you like?

Makeup>> Your eyes are beautiful so yeah play them up! Some mascara would really make them pop what colour are your eyes btw? I couldn't tell but the colour will help in choosing eyeshadow shades to complement you. I'm not sure how good your current foundation is, but if you have acne, try a clinique foundation? (they can give you consultations) you might want a foundation that gives you more of a dewy glowy look as you did look a little washed out (might just be the video though!) Oh and as for lips, the rosy lips vaseline is amazing! natural yet gives lips colour and softness.

Hope this helped! And that you were able to keep up with all the ramblings...

ReputationRep:

But yeah, shops you might like (if you dont already) are definetly h&m for those individual pieces, primark for cheap essentials and lovely accessories (I also got some REALLY cool shoes, like floral converse from there this year), miss selfridge for 'girly' pieces (quite indie/bohemian) but a tad expensive, republic for both floral pieces and edgy rock pieces. I also shop in the standard new look and river island. Topshop is one of those shops i'm always a bit underconfident about buying certain things, but a great shop for edgy pieces as i'm sure you know.
    Zara.com, soyoushoes.co.uk, boohoo are all great online clothing stores with a range of clothes
    Good luck with it all

ReputationRep:
    Count Duckula - wow, great advice! It's great that you have basically the same shapes as me, haha!
    I'll definitely be trying that rosy lips vaseline! I had some aloe vera vaseline once, and it did wonders for my lips, which can be quite dry and chipped. I'm all for the natural look, as I'm constantly worried that I look overdone when I try to put makeup on. I would love a dewy look with my makeup, as I am quite pale and washed out. I wear powder and concealer because of acne, so because of this my face is often very matt. I would love it to look more natural, but all of the foundations I've tried are too dark for my skin. My bourjois concealer is the only makeup I've found that doesn't turn my head a different colour. If there was a way to get a dewy more natural look, that would be awesome.
    The side fringe is a great idea, too. When it grows a bit longer, I might head to a hairdressers and see if they can shape it, and put a few layers in my hair, like you suggested. I do have a bit of a flat head (lol), and my hair is all one length, so it doesn't do much about it.
    My style is alternative and kind of boyish, although I would like to look 'pretty' as well, so maybe going for something more feminine is a good idea....

My eyes are orangy brown, if that helps at all I'm sorry, I know the video is very dark.

Meerkaat - Thanks for even more awesome advice, and for the luck!
    There is a topshop, river island, and a new look in town, so I could try going in there and seeing if there is anything that jumps out at me. Wish we had a republic over here, it sounds really cool - I would love to see some rocky clothes, but Stoke isn't exactly the shopping hub of the world. I'll take your advice and see if I can find anything at those stores.

P.S> Got myself some cheap hair straighteners, so hopefully I can tame my hair for once

ReputationRep:
    Hair
    I agree with the others, I think your hairstyle is nice but just needs a bit of polishing! I'd actually suggest straightening it rather than just blowdrying, because I think it's quicker and easier, and you'll get that sleek shiny finish with straighteners. Boots do very good own-brand straighteners at a reasonable price, here: http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Essent...teners_982539/

Also, since heat can obviously damage your hair, I recommend Boots own heat protection spray too, if you're using straighteners (or curlers) on your hair. Just spray it on before you use them and it'll prevent damage: http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Expert...n-Spray_34408/

Fashion
    Spring/summer fashion is the best, in my opinion Since you're slim and a little shorter than average, you'll definitely be able to pull off girly styles. I'd suggest investing in a good pair of skinny jeans like these: http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/j...jean_221091640 - they'll really show off your slim legs and they go with pretty much anything, you can dress them up or down! I'd also recommend getting a pair of cropped jeans for when it's a bit warmer (http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/j...jean_213693041) and a pair of denim shorts, depending on how confident you are with exposing your legs!

For tops, if you want to look girly/cute but not too sexy or exposed, florals are always a good idea! Things like this: http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/t...cami_222995079 and this: http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/t...cami_215462183 will go really well with any kind of jeans and look really good on your figure.

I don't know if you'd want to wear dresses or not, but florals are great in dress form too, e.g: http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/d...ress_214459349. If that was a bit too girly, you could also try shirt dresses which look effortless but very cute (plus the tie/belt at the waist will emphasise curves): http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/d...ress_220832115.
    Cardigans are a favourite of mine too, since you can buy a load in different colours and just team them with dresses or tops when it gets a bit cooler, so your summer clothes will do for spring/autumn too, when it's not sunny! These ones come in a range of colours: http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/k...igan_207788216

Finally, shoes! I'm guessing you wouldn't want to wear heels on a daily basis so for summer I'd suggest getting a couple of pairs of light shoes - one pair of pumps which will go with shorts/skirts/dresses (http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/s...pump_214624410 - range of colours on this one), and one pair of cute lace-ups which will go with full-length or cropped jeans (http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/s...umps_217286571).

Make-Up
    This is probably the hardest part to get right, but it just takes practice and patience, and you'll get used to it over time and work out what's best for you! If you want a natural look I'd suggest staying away from foundation because they can often be heavy and it's very difficult to match the colour to your skintone. Instead try tinted moisturiser - it's very light and gives you a more natural, even coverage. This is the one I use, and it's brilliant: http://www.boots.com/en/No7-Triple-P...-50ml_1189601/. Seems a little pricey but I bought mine in May last year and I've still got plenty left - a little goes a long way!

I agree with the above posters about emphasizing your eyes, so I think it would be a good idea to get some pencil eyeliner and mascara. I think to get the most natural look you should line your top waterline (the bit under your eyelashes, not above them) with a pencil eyeliner like this one: http://www.boots.com/en/17-Perfect-D...-Liner_927265/ With your skin and hair colour you can definitely work black eyeliner, so go for black in both eyeliner and mascara. Eyeliner application is probably the most difficult part of applying make-up so don't be discouraged if it looks crap the first few times you try it! The way I learned to do make-up was mainly through watching tutorials on YouTube, so I'll direct you here to start with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TULBWVgkyrw This one shows you how to apply the various kinds of eyeliner, with pencil starting at about 2:15. Check out some of her other videos too for more make-up tips, she's brilliant!

Mascara is much easier to do than eyeliner, but make sure you go down to the root of the eyelashes to make them look fuller! The type of mascara doesn't matter too much if you're only just starting out with make-up, but I found this one to be good at giving a natural look: http://www.boots.com/en/Max-Factor-F...ascara_641711/ - it separated my lashes and didn't give them a huge, clumpy, over-exaggerated effect.

Phew, sorry for the mammoth post! Also, I swear I'm not advertising New Look or Boots, I just like their stuff and it was easy to find links to show you what kind of thing I was talking about! I figure it's better to have examples to look at

I think the most important thing with hair and make-up is to practise a lot. That way you'll not only improve your technique but you'll also be able to figure out what looks best on you and what you feel most confident with. Same with clothes really - go out shopping on your own and just spend a while in each shop looking at all the different clothes, and try on lots and lots of things, even things you don't expect you'll look good in - you might surprise yourself!

Finally, I think it's brilliant that you're doing so well after your break-up and feeling more confident. You're a beautiful girl with a figure to die for, and I hope you continue gaining in confidence because you deserve it

Hope this post helped, and please keep us updated with pics and stuff!

Katy xx

Edit: Just saw your above post - ignore my bit about hair straighteners since you've already got some, and if you want a dewy look then definitely go for tinted moisturiser like I mentioned above!

ReputationRep:
    You're really pretty! i wish my hair was like yours!

ReputationRep:
    Wow Katy! Thank you so much for the mammoth post!!
    I love it, and it has so many useful and helpful links on it! It's really going to help me.

I love the ruffle camisole as well - it's so pretty, but not overly girly! I think you're right about getting some skinny jeans, too. A few other people have mentioned them, and if they go with anything, then I'll be wearing them quite a lot, so the money should be well spent. The pumps are great, too! I saw girls wearing those last spring, and wanted some. I'm sure I can find some cheap ones somewhere

Oh, I just got some cheap straighteners, too! So hopefully I can get my hair nice and sleek, not so out of control, haha. It's good that you mentioned the heat protecting spray, because I am rubbish with hair stuff, and never know what to get or what works, so that's a good start.

Not too great on exposing my legs, so the cropped trousers are perfect, because they don't get too much out!

As for makeup, I'll try and practice throughout the week so I can get it right by next saturday. I have to go to town tomorrow, so I can try some out in the morning and try and gauge people's reactions outside. Hopefully, I'll get the hang of it fairly soon. I like the idea of tinted moisuriser, too. I worry about having too much product on my face, so it would make me feel better to skip the foundation. I'm assuming it's okay to use the tinted moisuriser and then put the concealer over the top where it's needed.... Thanks so much for the eyeliner/mascara tips, too! So to make it look more natural, you do it on your upper waterline?

The vid is really helpful, too. The girl seems really nice, and my god she's gorgeous! O_o

And thank you so much for being so nice about the breakup - I feel I'm slowly getting better with it everyday. It's going to be a long road, but I feel like I'm healing, so I hope me and my ex can remain friends eventually.
    Thank you also for being so complimentary about me. I've never had people saying such nice things about me before, and all I can say is thank you thank you thank you so much. I am feeling much more confident than I ever have!

You are all so nice, I'm really lucky to get help from such great people!

ReputationRep:
    Helloo -
    Jeez, thank you so much! That's such a nice thing to say!
    I'm really glad you like my hair - there's not much to it, all it is is cropped one length. Thanks for the compliment, though.

ReputationRep:
    Wow Katy! Thank you so much for the mammoth post!!
    I love it, and it has so many useful and helpful links on it! It's really going to help me.

I love the ruffle camisole as well - it's so pretty, but not overly girly! I think you're right about getting some skinny jeans, too. A few other people have mentioned them, and if they go with anything, then I'll be wearing them quite a lot, so the money should be well spent. The pumps are great, too! I saw girls wearing those last spring, and wanted some. I'm sure I can find some cheap ones somewhere

Oh, I just got some cheap straighteners, too! So hopefully I can get my hair nice and sleek, not so out of control, haha. It's good that you mentioned the heat protecting spray, because I am rubbish with hair stuff, and never know what to get or what works, so that's a good start.

Not too great on exposing my legs, so the cropped trousers are perfect, because they don't get too much out!

As for makeup, I'll try and practice throughout the week so I can get it right by next saturday. I have to go to town tomorrow, so I can try some out in the morning and try and gauge people's reactions outside. Hopefully, I'll get the hang of it fairly soon. I like the idea of tinted moisuriser, too. I worry about having too much product on my face, so it would make me feel better to skip the foundation. I'm assuming it's okay to use the tinted moisuriser and then put the concealer over the top where it's needed.... Thanks so much for the eyeliner/mascara tips, too! So to make it look more natural, you do it on your upper waterline?

The vid is really helpful, too. The girl seems really nice, and my god she's gorgeous! O_o

And thank you so much for being so nice about the breakup - I feel I'm slowly getting better with it everyday. It's going to be a long road, but I feel like I'm healing, so I hope me and my ex can remain friends eventually.
    Thank you also for being so complimentary about me. I've never had people saying such nice things about me before, and all I can say is thank you thank you thank you so much. I am feeling much more confident than I ever have!

You are all so nice, I'm really lucky to get help from such great people!
    No problem, I just hope it wasn't too long to read!

Skinny jeans are the best kind of jeans in my opinion, they really show off your legs and don't make you look shorter/heavier like some styles do. The cropped style are really flattering too because they show off the slimmest part of your leg, and make you look taller

Yep, it's important to protect your hair when using heat on it regularly, otherwise it'll result in more split ends and overall damage. You're at a slight advantage because you've got short hair so a) it'll need less work and b) any damage will be easily grown out, but it's still important to protect it.

You can definitely use tinted moisturiser with concealer, it's what I do! I'd advise applying it with your fingers too, rather than a brush or sponge or whatever, because then you can get an even spread and make sure it's all blended and the moisturiser is absorbed.

The eyeliner is kind of difficult to explain without pictures, so here we go:

That's your upper waterline, the bit under your lashes. It can seem a bit scary to try and apply eyeliner there, and it definitely takes a bit of getting used to because it's so close to your eye!

That's eyeliner above the lash line, which is how you apply liquid eyeliner. It defines your eyes and gives you a more dramatic look, but if you want a natural look then it's better to leave this and just stick to the waterline (also, liquid eyeliner is mega difficult to apply in a straight line like that, especially if you have shaky hands like me!). Because it's beneath the lashes it still defines your eyes, but it's a lot less obvious and people (especially men!) are much less likely to realise you're wearing make-up

Yeah, bubzbeauty is one of the most popular make-up artists on YouTube, she's great and has all sorts of videos including skincare and hair tips, and all different kinds of make-up. I have a bit of a girl crush on her :love:

I just think it's brilliant that you're feeling more confident - I've been getting more confident lately too so I know what a great feeling it is and I'm glad that I can help even a little bit! Please feel free to keep asking questions and stuff - I'm not an expert but I'll try and help to the best of my ability xx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much! It's great to hear that you are gaining confidence too. It really is a wonderful feeling to feel your fears and insecurities melt away

Again, you give such helpful advice - the diagram is really useful. I probably would have ended up looking like a clown without it. It seems the top waterline is the way to go, as looking as though I'm not wearing too much makeup will hopefully make him think that I haven't approached us meeting as a big deal, and gone all out for it. Even though I obviously have, as here I am, haha. I just hope I don't jab my eye out, but like you said, hopefully it'll come with practice.

The tinted moisturiser sounds great - and I find it much easier to apply my makeup with my hands, so that's perfect. I'm a little worried that I won't be able to find one pale enough for me -- or does the shade not matter as much with tinted moisturisers?

I'll try and pick up some heat protecting spray tomorrow. Maybe some skinny jeans too! It's good to know that they don't make you look shorter, as I'm already pretty close to the floor, haha!

Well done, now I also have a girl crush on Bubzbeauty. I was looking through her other videos - they're all so good and detailed! Her hair is so so smooth, too. haha, I sound like such a girl right now.

And thanks again so much, because you've helped more than a little. Your posts are so useful and informative. It's really great of you to take the time, and I really appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much! It's great to hear that you are gaining confidence too. It really is a wonderful feeling to feel your fears and insecurities melt away

Again, you give such helpful advice - the diagram is really useful. I probably would have ended up looking like a clown without it. It seems the top waterline is the way to go, as looking as though I'm not wearing too much makeup will hopefully make him think that I haven't approached us meeting as a big deal, and gone all out for it. Even though I obviously have, as here I am, haha. I just hope I don't jab my eye out, but like you said, hopefully it'll come with practice.

The tinted moisturiser sounds great - and I find it much easier to apply my makeup with my hands, so that's perfect. I'm a little worried that I won't be able to find one pale enough for me -- or does the shade not matter as much with tinted moisturisers?

I'll try and pick up some heat protecting spray tomorrow. Maybe some skinny jeans too! It's good to know that they don't make you look shorter, as I'm already pretty close to the floor, haha!

Well done, now I also have a girl crush on Bubzbeauty. I was looking through her other videos - they're all so good and detailed! Her hair is so so smooth, too. haha, I sound like such a girl right now.

And thanks again so much, because you've helped more than a little. Your posts are so useful and informative. It's really great of you to take the time, and I really appreciate it!
    Yep, top waterline is definitely the best for looking like you're not wearing too much make-up! You'll probably end up blinking a lot and your eyes might water when you try and do it for the first time since it is pretty awkward, but take your time and it will feel less weird after a while. You should probably buy some cheap cleansing/make-up removal wipes because not only are they great for taking make-up off at the end of the day, they also help to tidy up eyeliner if you smudge it when applying. Boots own-brand ones are great and usually on a 3 for £3 offer so I stock up on those once a month

Tinted moisturiser is far easier to match colours, don't worry! Because it's only a tint rather than a proper colour like foundation, it blends with your skintone and doesn't show at all - just makes you look like you've got naturally even, lovely skin! I used to have the same problem as you because I have quite pale skin too, and always ende up looking orange with foundation. I think tinted moisturiser saved my life They generally come in two or three shades so just pick the 'fair' one and it should be fine when you blend it!

I know, her hair is gorgeous isn't it? So long :daydreaming:

Don't worry about it, I'm just glad I'm able to help! I'm just sharing the knowledge I've built up over the years, I've had to teach myself all this stuff so it's nice to know that I can pass on that knowledge to someone else

You should take pictures on the day so we can see how awesome you look and how silly your boyfriend was to let you go

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.