Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please help me look good for spring. Pics included. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Might just be me but you look kinda like olive oyl

ReputationRep:
    Haha, well that's nice of you to say - it'd be embarassing if I ended up looking a mess though.
    If I think I look okay I'll post a pic! If this thread is buried by then though, I probably won't dig it up.
    Hopefully, I'll be able to do your fantastic advice justice, though!

So I have myself a checklist for tomorrow, which includes some facewipes, tinted moisturiser, heat protectant, and maybe some springtime clothes. Then I just have to practice not jabbing myself in the eye.
    It's good to know that the tinted moisturiser doesn't need to be a particular shade, that stuff sounds like miracle juice!

I'm proud to have your superior knowledge passed on to me! I am your humble apprentice, lol. I'm so thankful that you've given up your time to help me out - your tips are brilliant and makes it feel like less of an epic struggle, and more manageable. It feels almost doable now, and I am much more certain about what to focus on thanks to you and all the others who have contributed. Thank goodness for TSR!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsamemario666)
    Might just be me but you look kinda like olive oyl
    I don't know whether that's a good thing or not, but I'm an animation fan, so I shall make the best of it. Who knows, maybe some people find hosepipe arms and legs attractive? One things for sure, I know not to put my hair in a little ponytail now.

P.S. Any tips on how to not look like Olive Oyl?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I want to give you some tips on make up and hair.

If your not good at make up go on youtube, there are some great beauty gurus, which also make a nice natural make up:

Juicystar07, Michellephan etc.

I can recommend you getting a palette which is cheap, for example the NYX Champagne and Caviar Palette or the nude on nude palette. Use a shimmering champagne colour all over your lid and then take a fluffy blending brush and take a darker colour. And with that you'll be defining your crease. Because your using a blending brush, the transition will be very smooth. Take a light colour and add highlights under your brow bones and on your inner corners. Line your waterline and upper waterline and use some mascara. Define your brows!!
    Put on some make up, or cover up any spots and use a tinted moisturizer.

Add some blush on your cheeks or a bronzer and finish off with a lipgloss.

Oh and don't forget to apply your make up with brushes, they don't have to be expensive, but it gives you a nicer finish.

For hair, why don't you try out some highlights. Not blond ones but more cognac colored ones.

For Fashion, why don't you get a nice long top, with leggings or some skinny jeans with a nice cute top.

ReputationRep:
    Skinny jeans would really suit you, you have the right figure for them. If you like checked shirts get some closer fitted ones rather than baggy/boyish (there are usually a lot in h&m), I also agree with above posters that girly floral tops could be nice for spring, maybe with a light cardigan as well.

What kind of shoes do you normally wear?

I like the video by the way and I clicked the Disney one on your page - you are seriously talented if you drew all of that Kudos!!

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or do you have the feeling that we all would love to give her a make over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    Primark's good all over for reinventing your style really, 'coz it's so cheap Their skinny jeans are fantastic, so get a supply of them. Team skinnies with a vest or a funky graphic-tee, and a pretty brightly-coloured cardigan, with kitten heels if you want a bit of smartness. If there's anything you've seen in a magazine, or a website, or on someone that you like the look of, Primark's probably the place where you can piece together a similar outfit. Don't feel afraid to try something on that you'd never normally wear! And don't feel disheartened if it doesn't look right, some things just suit you much better than others!
    I second this, emphatically.

ReputationRep:
    The 60s look is very much in vogue for spring/summer, and it really suits your face and hair. Stripes are back with a bang, and I think they'll complement your body shape, giving you a more feminne hourglass-y look.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, trust me, if I lived near you all, I would gladly sit in a room and let you all give me a crash course in how to do this stuff. I really appreciate you all giving up your time to help me out.

Mannds - I never knew there were so many beauty gurus on youtube! My god, there are, like, hundreds of videos! I know what I'm watching for the next week. I would love to get some eye shadows, but they are all so expensivem and I have no clue which ones to get. You said nude, which I'm assuming is natural colours, which would be great as I hopefully wouldn't look too overdone. You think eyeliner on the waterline rather than outside the eye is a good idea too? I have some black kohl, so I can give that a go
    Your idea about auburn highlights is really nice.... I've always thought red hued hair is really pretty. But I have very deep black eyebrows (argh!), which I'm worried will clash with my hair and make it look unnatural. I wish I had lighter eyebrows, as I could darken them. With black eyebrows, though, I'm not sure how to pull of some of the hair colours I like.
    A long top with leggings sounds really nice and summery! And I'm okay getting my legs out if I have leggings on, too. It would be nice to find something like the ruffled floral top earlier, but a bit longer. I'll have to have a look around tomorrow. Maybe I can find something nice in a charity shop, and save some money?
    Thanks for your amazing tips! Especially makeup - so much information! Do highlighters and bronzers really make a difference? I've always been kind of confused on how you use them, and what it is they do.

oOHollyOo - Thanks for the feedback on my DIS Application, I'm really glad you liked it! Took me forever to put together, lol. Thank you!
    I usually wear black imitation converse or army boots. I know, I'm a style nightmare, lol. I just wear what's comfortable, and surplus wear lasts for ages and is relatively cheap. It gets me a few odd stares, though, and probably isn't all that useful for summer.
    Floral tops seem to be the way to go! I'm hoping I can spot some around town for not much money, and a cardigan would be nice too, in case I get insecure, I can wrap myself up in it, and hopefully still look good.

ReputationRep:
    Profesh - Primark is a must for me tomorrow then! It just seems so big and intimidating - but I'll throw myself in there and see if I can find anything matching the descriptions of suggested clothes. The hardest part will be forcing myself to try it on. I normally just buy for my size and leave. Not any more

i.am.lost - a feminine hour glass look would be pretty awesome! You can get that through stripes? Maybe I could find a stripey vest and wear it underneath the camisole, or a stripey cardy to put on top. Thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennet)
    http://vimeo.com/21084156

ReputationRep:
    You have tits. Accentuate those.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I seriously don't know what kindof people you've met in the past if they've been negative about your appearance. We all think you look good! Anyway I like the inverted bob idea, and also definitely think you should use the hairstraighteners. A lot of people think they dont need straighteners because their hair is not curly, but they do make the hair look alot sleeker and you end up with a more finished look. Also I think mascara is a must, I always feel like I look half asleep without it. I personally don't like the comb ones and prefer to go for the brush applicator. Usually Rimmel. A tiny bit of blusher and lip tint, some florals and fitted trousers, pumps, and i think you'll look great! I know this is basically a repeat of what everyone else has said. Also for future I think you'd really suit the vintage look. I have the same skin and hair colour as you and like to wear red lipstick and colors such as navy blue. But I think these are things you'd need more time to experiment with for the autumn/winter. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnknwnEntity)
    OMG. Amazing.

Sorry about the random video, I made it because I was trying to do something constrcutive to cheer myself up after my bf and me split up. I've been stuck in a flat alone for two weeks if that.... excuses any of it.

Broderss - I do have boobs.... But they're very small. I'm an A/small B cup, so I'm more or less flat chested. Maybe a good bra could help? But I never seem to be able to find one which fits. B cups are too big, and A cups aren't wide enough around the back. That's what I get for being awkward.

ReputationRep:
    Milknosugar - Thanks so much for the fashion advice! I like the inverted bob too, it's such a nice style. Makes me want my hair to grow quicker so I can.... Cut it off again. I really love the vintage look, too. I always envy the girls who can pull it off, so I'd love to give it a try. It's awesome that you wear red lipstick! I could never be that brave, haha! I don't think I have the right kind of mouth for very bright lipsticks. Thanks for the makeup tips, too though! I would be more comfortable with a liptint like you suggested, I think.
    Thanks for replying, and also for the confidence boost. It's a really great feeling to let go of the insecurities. It's like shedding a massive weight. It really helped just posting up that embarrassing vid, to be honest, I was really nervous about that. The fact that everyone is being so kind just.... I don't know how to describe it, lol. But thank you!

(Mascaras have different applicators? I wonder which kind I have)

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read through every post so I apologise if I'm repeating anyone.

I am completely inept at making myself look good. I blame being brought up by my Father I think. But research is the key..

For my hair, if I'm bored if it, I go and buy a hair magazine and thumb through. If there's any style I particularly fancy I take it along to a half decent hairdresser and ask for their opinion on whether or not it would suit me and they can adjust or recommend accordingly. I think with a lot of hairstyles though unless their drastic (dead short, asymmetrical, shaved etc, if you like the cut you can definitely pull it off. Again, that might just be my own lack of knowledge there!

Makeup, again, I'm not very good. I buy the posh stuff and have a go, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. If I'm going out and it's important that I try and get my makeup as perfect as I can, tutorials are always handy. The internet is a wonderful resource. If you just go to google and type "How to.... (smokey eyes, nude makeup etc) it'll come up with lots of sites with step by step instructions so you can go through them all at your own pace.

Clothes. Well. I probably have quite rubbish taste in clothes but I'm okay with that. Again, research. Go sit on a bench in a busy place like in the town centre and just watch people. Ooh, that scarf is nice, I love those shoes, those trousers look horrible. Then you can go off to the girly shops armed with some ideas of what you liked and what you're looking for. Pick them all up and go nuts in the changing room to see if it all suits you!

I really want to go shopping now...

ReputationRep:
    Huh, I never thought to people watch in such a useful way before! That's a really good idea. I watch people sort of naturally, but I never actually thought about it before - that's really useful advice!
    I think I may have to buy a few magazines, people seem to be suggesting them, and it makes sense. I always felt a bit stupid looking at a gorgeous model in a magazine and wanting the clothes, because my brain would always say 'yeah but you don't look like her do you? It'll look rubbish on you!', but I'll give it another go with confidence this time! After all, fashion is meant to be fun, right?

Thankyou very much for the tips - I never realised there was so much about this on the internet before. Pretty dumb, but at least I know now! More useful knowledge for me to devour - thanks!

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to shopping tomorrow now! I'm totally in the mood, and I think I know what I'm after.

ReputationRep:
    If primark is intimitading, why don't just ask a sales assistand, tell her your problem and what your looking for an d I'll bet she would love to help you.

Regarding hair, i myself have also quite dark hair and i had my hair done yesterday. The highlights my hairstylist did are very subtile, they just blend in well with my hair, so i don't have to worry about my eyebrows.

To your bronzer, highlighting question I don't contour my face everyday. Contouring meaning you'll put some darker powder in the hollows of your cheeks, some blush on the apples of the cheeck and a highlighting color above it. Ofcourse they face is mkre defined, but if you want a really natural look, a light bronzer makes your cheeks glow and gives you a healthy look.

Highlights under your brow and in your inner corner really help. Try it out, put some white shadow in your inner corner, look at it is blended well and you'll look more awake.

One thing I forgot is that when your using eyeshadow, use a base first as it will make the colors more vibrant and they'll last longer.

Yes, with nude I mean natural brown shades. I think you have NYX in the uk or else on ebay there's this great seller, who sells NYX palettes for 8$. I just bought one, the quality is good and the price as well.

And yes on youtube there are some great videos on highlighting, contouring, natural eyemakeup. That's how I learned about make up. Watch a video trying it out and having fun.

Most important is that your confident and happy with yourself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennet)
    Here is a silly video I made of me trying to get over the breakup >>http://vimeo.com/21084156<<
    And you wonder why he dumped you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fields)
    And you wonder why he dumped you?
    That was a bit harsh, dude. I was trying to cheer myself up, please don't judge me on it.
    If I gave the impression that I thought our breakup was funny, then that definitely wasn't my intention. He was the best thing that happened to me. I am still trying to get over the breakup, despite appearances, not doing too well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.