Turn on thread page Beta

Please help me look good for spring. Pics included. watch

ReputationRep:
    you're so adorable, you look a little bit like regina spektor... i think its your huge eyes and curly hair!

eyeliner... i recommend Barry M eyeliner pens. they are the best ive used and good value for money.
    you seem to have pretty flawless skin so you dont need foundation, blush would be good and maybe a tinted moisturiser... check the boots.com website for reviews and beauty blogs for swatches. a blush i recommend is Natural Collection.. its only £2 and isnt too garish/potentially clown-like!
    lips... this is down to experimentation really, im yet to find one brand that i love for lip sticks. although ive heard/read good things about 17.

in terms of clothes... look at fashion blogs, especially high street fashion blogs... they can offer great inspiration that is easy to replicate. some blogs i recommend; llymlrs, daisybutter, and french for cupcake... i personally like the last one best, she's pale/dark haired like you and has a unique but girly style. there's so many blogs out there though, so have a browse! it's really good for inspiration on how to put outfits together and ideas for new styles that you might not usually consider and you dont need to spend a lot! primark, h&m, new look, etc. are brilliant for cheap fashion!

hope you're doing ok and good luck with reinventing yourself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennet)
    Hey,
    I'm Jennet, new to these forums.
    (I hope I have posted in the right place - I didn't know whether or not to post in the 'makeup' section when I'm asking for help with fashion and hair too!)

So a month ago, me and my boyfriend broke up after 5 years together, and I was absolutely heartbroken. I'm trying to get over him, and slowly but surely focusing on taking care of myself.

Here's the thing: It's the summer holidays soon, and we were planning to hang out as friends during the break - and I want to look great for when I next see him! I want to show him that I'm doing well without him. It's not about getting him back, but more about reminding him what he let go.

I am a beginner with makeup, hair, and fashion, so I need the help of more experienced girls to tell me what would look best on me for this spring.

*P.S! I was bullied a lot at school because of the way I looked, but I think I'm finally coming to terms with what I've got, and would love to be able to accentuate my best features, as a lot of the time I feel unconfident and a mess.
    ________________________________ ________________________________ ________________________________ _________________
    Here is a video I made of me trying to get over the breakup >>http://vimeo.com/21084156<<
    I know it's stupid, but I was trying to cheer myself up when I was depressed, and was never meant to be seen by anyone but close friends, so please don't judge me too harshly on it.
    It has some closeups so hopefully it'll give you guys some ideas on what would be best for my colouring/face shape etc.

________________________________ ________________________________ ________________________________ _________________

Hair>> I got my hair cut short because I have a long/rectangular face shape, and read that that would balance it out, but I've decided to grow it out - any tips on what hairstyle you think would suit me?

Fashion>> I am not conventionally attractive, so I tend to go for cute rather than gorgeous/sexy, which I think is easier to pull off. My body is straight up and down. Do you guys have any suggestions on what would look good on me clotheswise this springtime?

Makeup>> I'm a beginner. I've tried doing nice makeup a couple of times before, but I feel that whenever I go out, people are staring at me. I'm worried that it's because I have too much on, or it doesn't suit me? So tips are really appreciated! The only makeup I tend to wear everyday at the mo is Bourjois concealer/Mabelline Dream Matt powder, as I have acne and don't want to go uncovered. That said, I do have eyeliners, mascaras, eyeshadows, blush, and a few lipglosses. I just don't know what looks good. I try things out, and go out feeling okay, but outside I feel like people are laughing at me, or staring at me as though they are disgusted, so I'm probably doing something wrong.

Please help me. I really want to look pretty for when I see my ex again! I have no clue as to what's in fashion, so this is your opportunity to try out your makeover skills on someone who really needs it!

Thanks guys!
    Jennet
    What is the password? I can't view the video

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rzc)
    What is the password? I can't view the video
    Sorry, I got a bit insecure about having it up - the password is noubar

ReputationRep:
    Mandds - thank you for the brilliant tips - I will try them out today and see if it stops the smudging. Fingers crossed! It makes sense that powder would set it the same way it does foundation. I just never thought of it for some reason! Just had a run to the bathroom to check up on what eyeliner I have - I have Mabelline eyeliner-matic in intense black. I don't know whether that's known to be any good. Will definitely try the tips, though.

Popple7 - Had to google Regina Speckor, lol. Wow, thank you so much. Being me, It's hard to imagine I look too much like her, but thank you! She's lovely.
    Great tips, I've picked myself up a tinted moisturiser and some blush, and now I just have to learn how to use them properly. Unfortunately, I don't have flawless skin - not by a long shot. My skin is actually extremely acne prone, and hasn't been clear for almost ten years - in the vid, I'm wearing a touch of concealer where I need it. Hey, but I must be applying it okay if you thought my skin was clear, so that's good. Thanks very much for the compliment, though.
    Thanks in particular for the fashion blog links, they're really interesting and great to look at! Really helpful.
    And thank you for taking the time!

ReputationRep:
    Here's a link to youtube with many videos to prevent eyeliner from smudging...

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...smudging&aq=5m

By the way, when are you going to see your ex? You have to tell us how it went

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I was due to see him this weekend, but then my dad came down to visit, so I had to delay it until next friday.
    It's good though, as the stress actually caused my acne to flair up this weekend, and my confidence dropped as a result. This way, I can spend another week practicing with my new makeup, and have longer to prepare! Hopefully next weekend, my skin will behave itself, and I'll be much better at applying my makeup

Thanks for the links, checking it out now!

ReputationRep:
    Mandds - thank you for the brilliant tips - I will try them out today and see if it stops the smudging. Fingers crossed! It makes sense that powder would set it the same way it does foundation. I just never thought of it for some reason! Just had a run to the bathroom to check up on what eyeliner I have - I have Mabelline eyeliner-matic in intense black. I don't know whether that's known to be any good. Will definitely try the tips, though.

Popple7 - Had to google Regina Speckor, lol. Wow, thank you so much. Being me, It's hard to imagine I look too much like her, but thank you! She's lovely.
    Great tips, I've picked myself up a tinted moisturiser and some blush, and now I just have to learn how to use them properly. Unfortunately, I don't have flawless skin - not by a long shot. My skin is actually extremely acne prone, and hasn't been clear for almost ten years - in the vid, I'm wearing a touch of concealer where I need it. Hey, but I must be applying it okay if you thought my skin was clear, so that's good. Thanks very much for the compliment, though.
    Thanks in particular for the fashion blog links, they're really interesting and great to look at! Really helpful.
    And thank you for taking the time!
    Hey I really enjoyed watching your video, it's cool, and was also quite touching. You obviously have talent.

All the ideas that have been expressed are good ones. I hope your boyfriend realizes what he's missing! Send me a pic by PM, I'm curious to see how your new look turned out - awesome I'm sure.
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Ideas from sale items and celebrity style etc on my friends blog:
    http://2greenek.wordpress.com/

ReputationRep:
    Thanks CherryBoom.x for the link!
    Your friend's blog is really really good! There are so many clothes on there that I want. Especially the black playsuit and some of the dresses. Great resource, though.

And in_vogue - thanks for your interest, and for being so kind. I've PM'd you the same pics I sent to Mandds and LoonyPlatypus. I'm glad you liked the vid, although I've taken it down now, as it was attracting a bit too much attention. I know, I asked for it.

I've had so many great replies that there's not much point me leaving it up anymore.

Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks CherryBoom.x for the link!
    Your friend's blog is really really good! There are so many clothes on there that I want. Especially the black playsuit and some of the dresses. Great resource, though.

And in_vogue - thanks for your interest, and for being so kind. I've PM'd you the same pics I sent to Mandds and LoonyPlatypus. I'm glad you liked the vid, although I've taken it down now, as it was attracting a bit too much attention. I know, I asked for it.

I've had so many great replies that there's not much point me leaving it up anymore.

Thanks guys!
    Aww, what! 13 minutes too late!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, dude! But thanks for the interest, I appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just to say, thank you for everyone's help!

I am finally seeing my ex tomorrow - the big day is here.
    Deep breaths!

My skin is looking okay, but still has a few bad spots and problems, so I'm exfoliating and using a face mask tonight while I wash my hair.
    My eyebrows are a bit crap, as I tried to pluck them myself a couple of months ago, and botched it up. I've been letting them grow back, and they're almost normal again. We'll be going in to town, so my fringe will probably be blown off my face, leaving them in full view. There's not time to go and get them professionally seen to, so I don't know whether to just leave them slightly patchy, or to go in with tweesers and try and neaten them up a bit.

Wish me luck, I will put a post up afterwards just saying how it went.

If anyone has any last minute advice before tomorrow, let me know, via thread or pm.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

If you have some brown sheer eyeshadow, try to fill it up. But use a very light hand, so that it looks natural...

And just have fun and let him be jealous

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sorry I didn't reply sooner, I've been on holiday for the past week and am going home tomorrow! If you have any last-minute questions then please ask, and if not then good luck and I hope you feel as wonderful as you're going to look x

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.