Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

intellectual apartheid in the classroom and on the campus. watch

ReputationRep:
    schools, colleges and universities are very narrow minded and hostile to politically incorrect thought. in my experience, this created an apartheid environment that segregated conservative thinkers into metaphorical ghettos-- unable to participate in activism as no real conservative groups are permitted.

have any other conservative thinkers-- by conservative i do not mean tory, who are social liberal panderers-- had this experience of isolation?

how can this stifling environment of intellectual uniformity be combated in the education system?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's anything to combat.

At my school, if you've got something to say, you say it.
    During one assembly, we were asked if prisoners should be given the vote.
    One person stood up and said "Hell no" and a five minute dialogue ensued in the middle of an assembly.

If you're feeling isolated, it's your own fault.

ReputationRep:
    If you are stupid thats your fault

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humanrights)
    s

how can this stifling environment of intellectual uniformity be combated in the education system?
    Travelling, mixing with people of different cultures and backgrounds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samconly)
    If you are stupid thats your fault
    thats what a self centred tool like you would say :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    conservative groups are usually set upon by a frothing rabble of pitch fork waving conformists who claim anything they disagree with is 'racism'.

college and university is filled with various politically correct activist groups, but they make sure real opposition to their views are marginalised.

i attampted to start an anti mass immigration group and it was absolutely demonised and forced to disband.

its intellectual fascism.

ReputationRep:
    conservative groups are usually set upon by a frothing rabble of pitch fork waving conformists who claim anything they disagree with is 'racism'.

college and university is filled with various politically correct activist groups, but they make sure real opposition to their views are marginalised.

i attampted to start an anti mass immigration group and it was absolutely demonised and forced to disband.

its intellectual fascism.
    Make friends with some brown people, maybe you'll feel happier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)

er, no. thats a racist anti white assumption. i do not oppose MASS immigration because i have no ethnic friends-- that is typical PC reductive thinking, the kind that leads to oppression of conservative thinking.

'brown' people also have concerns about mass immigration.
    leah durant. she speaks of america but the same applies for britain.

tomorrowsamerica.com/interviews/interview-series/
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Students on a massive generalizing whole tend to be very left wing. To the point some live in Marxist delusions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Students on a massive generalizing whole tend to be very left wing. To the point some live in Marxist delusions.

its like religion here. i came to uni expecting to see dissenting voices to the politically correct orthodoxy that governs britain. i thought students were supposed to rebel against the status quo.

its a straight jacket of conformity. people think tight jeans, funny hair and unique itunes collection is individualism........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Ya see, it's posts like that that make me wonder why I shouldn't just throw myself under a train.

Conservatism (with a capital C) just isn't fashionable any more and there's a lot of reasons for that. The main one being that it's ideas have been overtaken by the march of Liberalism. I'd argue that's a good thing, a very good thing but even if I didn't think that I wouldn't be throwing phrases like "apartheid" around the room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    Conservatism (with a capital C) just isn't fashionable any more and there's a lot of reasons for that. The main one being that it's ideas have been overtaken by the march of Liberalism. I'd argue that's a good thing, a very good thing but even if I didn't think that I wouldn't be throwing phrases like "apartheid" around the room.

i would argue the exact opposite,as would the majority of the nation. what i have noticed above all about liberal attitiudes, is that that are tremendously elitist, white and middle class.

sure, the white liberals scare minorities into submission with race baiting about fictional racist 'right wingers' hiding in every cornflake box, but scratch the surface and all of my minority friends believe in capital punishment, all are against the promoting of homosexuality for children, most agree that mass immigration is bad because it affects them personally. and most are more religious than the average white person.

minorities are far more culturally traditional. the left relies on fear to pretend otherwise.

the majority of white people themselves may not be as traditional as the minority communities, but they are certainly not 'liberal' in the fashionable campus, intellectual sense.

british campuses are a straight jacket of elitist opinion.

i would argue the exact opposite,as would the majority of the nation. what i have noticed above all about liberal attitiudes, is that that are tremendously elitist, white and middle class.

sure, the white liberals scare minorities into submission with race baiting about fictional racist 'right wingers' hiding in every cornflake box, but scratch the surface and all of my minority friends beleive in capital punishment, all are against the promoting of homosexuality for children, most agree that mass immigration is bad because it affects them personally. and most are more religious than the average white person.

minorities are far more culturally traditional. the left relies on fear to pretend otherwise.

the majority of white people themselves may not be as traditional as the minority communities, but they are certainly not 'liberal' in the fashionable campus, intellectual sense.

britain is a culture in a straight jacket of eltist opinion.
    It seems you're mixing up "the elite" and people with an education.

ReputationRep:
    When you talk about intellectual apartheid in higher education, you really need to distinguish what type of conservatism you are talking about. Mainstream conservatism is different to academic conservatism. The former is just an incredibly lazy, stupid and selfish way to exist. The latter (in my experience) is essentially a counter-intellectual movement to the Enlightenment (and its values), and has always had its place; you may not necessarily recognise it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    It seems you're mixing up "the elite" and people with an education.

no, i'm not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    When you talk about intellectual apartheid in higher education, you really need to distinguish what type of conservatism you are talking about. Mainstream conservatism is different to academic conservatism. The former is just an incredibly lazy, stupid and selfish way to exist. The latter (in my experience) is essentially a counter-intellectual movement to the Enlightenment (and its values), and has always had its place; you may not necessarily recognise it though.

in a way, i am saying that i expected students to be a bit more rebellious towards the entrenched liberal attitudes that pervade modern british society. i never expected such a lock step of opinion on campus.

naive.

i suppose you could even say that these liberal views are the 'nu' entrenched conservatism, but in this instance, i mean counter beliefs to the liberal orthodoxy.

i thought that the enlightenment arguments of man against god would be alive and well, and so i expected a strong traditional conservative counter to fashionable liberal opinion. not to be.

where it does exist, its in the minority groups, who are very traditional. it seems to me that they only vote labour because of welfare and false race concerns, not cultural.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.