Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Possible Brain/Nervous system problem? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've been having some very strange symptoms for the past few months and went to the GP on monday. I've been asked to create a diary over a 4 week period but thought I'd get some advice from you guys and see if anyone has suffered from anything similair.

• Ringing in ears
    • When going into different light levels in rooms, I have fuzzy vision and horrible headache for a few mins
    • Seeing shapes in dark rooms
    • Pain behind eye (right)
    • General headaches
    • Dizziness
    • Light headed
    • I have also had an unexplained seizure 3 years ago

It's started to really annoy me and I'm a little worried about the worse case scenarios. Also I'm really hoping something like this wont affect my future medical career!

Any advice guys?

ReputationRep:
    Migraine (I know nothing about this, but some of your symptoms seem to fit what other people have posted about them)?

And what exactly do you mean by seizure? I sometimes start shaking quite violently from low blood pressure, which would fit in with the dizziness and lightheadedness. I suppose it's possible that you're unlucky enough to have more than one thing wrong with you, dizziness and lightheadedness can be caused by quite a few things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _jake_)
    Hi, I've been having some very strange symptoms for the past few months and went to the GP on monday. I've been asked to create a diary over a 4 week period but thought I'd get some advice from you guys and see if anyone has suffered from anything similair.

• Ringing in ears
    • When going into different light levels in rooms, I have fuzzy vision and horrible headache for a few mins
    • Seeing shapes in dark rooms
    • Pain behind eye (right)
    • General headaches
    • Dizziness
    • Light headed
    • I have also had an unexplained seizure 3 years ago

It's started to really annoy me and I'm a little worried about the worse case scenarios. Also I'm really hoping something like this wont affect my future medical career!

Any advice guys?
    Tbh, that really doesn't sound nice, but you've done the right thing by going to the GP and do your diary thing. If I were you I would be wanting an MRI scan on my head, so perhaps mention that when you go back if they don't suggest it.

It might be something silly like a trapped nerve or whatever, but obviously there are worse things it could be so make sure you demand a scan. That is what I would do anyway

You are doing something about it really early though after the symptoms have presented so whether it's good or bad news about what is causing it, there is a massive chance that it can all be sorted out Good luck!

EDIT: and as person above said, it could be migraine, depends how often you get these symptoms, do they happen in clusters over like a 2hour period and then not happen for days? or is it constant and never goes away? But even if it is migraine, if you've never had them before and suddenly you are getting them frequently, there may be some underlying issue there causing it.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely see your GP, who can refer you to a neurologist if necessary. But your symptoms don't sound like a serious neurological problem. If your eye/eyes start playing up really badly (eg redness, pain, blurred vision), you can take yourself to eye casualty in your nearest hospital eye unit - they can rule out most serious eye problems very quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Migraine (I know nothing about this, but some of your symptoms seem to fit what other people have posted about them)?

And what exactly do you mean by seizure? I sometimes start shaking quite violently from low blood pressure, which would fit in with the dizziness and lightheadedness. I suppose it's possible that you're unlucky enough to have more than one thing wrong with you, dizziness and lightheadedness can be caused by quite a few things.
    Sorry had computer problems and couldn't get online for a while. It was when I was in my early teens, during my sleep, that I had (im guessing a epileptic fit) and thankfully I awoken my brother who alerted my parents. Nothing else was said about it.
    (Original post by HaNzY)
    Tbh, that really doesn't sound nice, but you've done the right thing by going to the GP and do your diary thing. If I were you I would be wanting an MRI scan on my head, so perhaps mention that when you go back if they don't suggest it.

It might be something silly like a trapped nerve or whatever, but obviously there are worse things it could be so make sure you demand a scan. That is what I would do anyway

You are doing something about it really early though after the symptoms have presented so whether it's good or bad news about what is causing it, there is a massive chance that it can all be sorted out Good luck!

EDIT: and as person above said, it could be migraine, depends how often you get these symptoms, do they happen in clusters over like a 2hour period and then not happen for days? or is it constant and never goes away? But even if it is migraine, if you've never had them before and suddenly you are getting them frequently, there may be some underlying issue there causing it.
    It's possible that it's migraines, though my symptoms are more eyesight related and dizziness. My mum suffers from bad Migraines so its a possibility. Thanks for the advice.

(Original post by jimbo139)
    Definitely see your GP, who can refer you to a neurologist if necessary. But your symptoms don't sound like a serious neurological problem. If your eye/eyes start playing up really badly (eg redness, pain, blurred vision), you can take yourself to eye casualty in your nearest hospital eye unit - they can rule out most serious eye problems very quickly.
    I shall be getting a follow up appointment next week!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.