The Student Room Group

For all you anti gun hoplophobes on here

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by Selkarn
Can't you see that all you are doing here, is seeing reasons that people may want a handgun, and overriding them with your own opinion, and acting as though that means their opinion is invalid? I have talked to a few girls who say they would love a handgun as they would feel safer with it. Even if you believe that is a null reason, it still does not discard the fact that it is their opinion.

As I said before, crucially, I believe that making something illegal, because of the actions of a tiny minority, sets a dangerous precedent.

I do not feel i was trying to override your opinions simply with my opinions, the larger point was aiming towards implying why perhaps the government doesnt feel it crucial to legalise handguns. Because of these availible and in many cases more practical (be it cheaper or more suited to purpose) alternatives. If someone truly wants a gun collection, they can still have one. If they truly want to survive in the wild and need a gun they can still have one.

I believe it is a tiny minority who truly believe they are safer with a handgun. Increase handguns increase risk of incident. Statistical inevitability.
I do not believe we should risk the majority for the views of a minority.

Im afraid democracy is based on giving up core liberties in order to establish and maintain a functioning society.

Hypothetically what if you could catagorically find more people outright opposed to guns than wanting guns. Why would it be fair to impose the views of a minority onto a majority.
Reply 641
Original post by WeekendOffender
The last sentence of your post is literally copied and pasted from a previous post of yours. Thank you for proving my point that you are incapable of debating properly and have to resort to blatantly lifting and reciting points that have already been refuted. I did not "ignore" your points, in fact I have addressed each one of them in other posts that once again you clearly neglected to read.

In addition, you do not have to tell anyone "what I'm saying". If anyone wants to know objectively what I'm saying, they can read my post for themselves... something you are too lazy to bother doing. What I actually did in my post was address your reasons for wanting to own a gun, and systematically tell you why each one of them is not a sufficient reason for handgun legalisation.

In short, you are a useless debater. If you came to this thread to prove your point and convince people to support handgun legalisation, you have categorically failed. You made a few weak points and repeated them throughout the rest of the thread, even after they were shown to be weak by the opposition.

If you are not willing to actually make an argument for your cause, then don't join in the debate. You make yourself, and your cause, look farsical. I actually had sympathy before for the fact tha you want to own a handgun for private use, but now I have none. You are acting like a spoilt child - demanding a handgun and offering no strong reasons as to why this privilege should be granted to you.

That is the end of my contribution to this thread.

Yet again, 100% of this post is simply ad-hominem, false and not offering any substance at all to the thread. All you did in the above quoted post was drone on about things which did not actually input any fresh material into the discussion. By the way, I repeat things because I believe the things have not been addressed.

As I said before, crucially, I believe that making something illegal, because of the actions of a tiny minority, sets a dangerous precedent.
Reply 642
The last sentence of your post is literally copied and pasted from a previous post of yours. Thank you for proving my point that you are incapable of debating properly and have to resort to blatantly lifting and reciting points that have already been refuted. I did not "ignore" your points, in fact I have addressed each one of them in other posts that once again you clearly neglected to read.

In addition, you do not have to tell anyone "what I'm saying". If anyone wants to know objectively what I'm saying, they can read my post for themselves... something you are too lazy to bother doing. What I actually did in my post was address your reasons for wanting to own a gun, and systematically tell you why each one of them is not a sufficient reason for handgun legalisation.

In short, you are a useless debater. If you came to this thread to prove your point and convince people to support handgun legalisation, you have categorically failed. You made a few weak points and repeated them throughout the rest of the thread, even after they were shown to be weak by the opposition.

If you are not willing to actually make an argument for your cause, then don't join in the debate. You make yourself, and your cause, look farsical. I actually had sympathy before for the fact tha you want to own a handgun for private use, but now I have none. You are acting like a spoilt child - demanding a handgun and offering no strong reasons as to why this privilege should be granted to you.

That is the end of my contribution to this thread.

Strong words, but, Here! Here!
Original post by Selkarn
Off the top of my head:

You have done it yet again! This wasn't off the top of your head - you have posted it several times in this thread and we have become frustrated with the futility of it.

I have talked to a few girls who say they would love a handgun as they would feel safer with it.

There is no way at all that either the British public or the British government will have any sympathy at all for anyone desiring to own a handgun for the avowed purpose of self defence. You don't enhance your argument about sport shooting by continually harping on this. You merely make yourself look like the kind of brooding, troubled loner who goes off into the woods and comes back to avenge a perceived slight by massacring a bunch of innocent people.

Your poorly thought out and non-analytical arguments, lack of willingness to argue with us (and to develop that argument) and the resulting frustration with the constant repetition of text you have lifted from elsewhere mean that I'm out of this discussion.
Fine, we can both play the game of copying and pasting. I noticed that you ignored this post of mine earlier, so I will repeat it to you now and attempt to "address" your argument with it.

Originally Posted by Selkarn

If a 60 year old chap has a huge enthusiasm for handguns and wants a collection, he cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.
If a young immgrant to the country participated in e.g. handgun shooting for a sport back home, he cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.
If a young woman wants a handgun on her possession as she feels safer with it (even if that feeling is incorrect, it is what she feels), she cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.
If a person like me wants a handgun to shoot targets on private property and never to have it leave the private property, I cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.
If a survivalist wants a handgun for his survival kit - which is a highly recommended item to have amongst the survivalist community, s/he cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.
If a Muslim woman wants a handgun because her religion encourages holding weaponry, she cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.

Add to this list the following:

If a drug dealer wants a handgun to threaten clients and possibly shoot them for the collection of money, s/he cannot because of people such as ourselves.
If a rapist wants a handgun to make it more likely that his victim will co-operate, they cannot because of people such as ourselves.
If a jilted husband wants a handgun to take revenge on his wife and her lover, he cannot because of people such as ourselves.
If a mentally unstable person wants a handgun so that they can conceal it in public before committing mass murder, they cannot because of people such as ourselves.

In general, if someone who wants to use a handgun for devious and malicious purposes wants a handgun, they cannot have one because of people such as ourselves. This consideration of the public's safety is much more important than the selfish concerns of minority groups such as those mentioned in your list. It would be lovely if handguns would be made available to all of these people, survivalists et al, so that they can indulge in their hobby in a legal and safe way. But to make handguns widely available you also enable all of the situations in my list to take place, which would not be good.

Your desire for handguns to use in leisure and sport is fine, and it's unfortunate that you can't do that. But if you want to do sport shooting, you have shotguns and other types of weapon. Why is a handgun absolutely necessary? The safety of the public is more of a priority than you crying because you can't complete your idiotic survival kit. Sorry to put it so bluntly.

And before you call me authoritarian, I would say that you are the authoritarian because whenever anyone disagrees with you on this particular subject, you automatically judge them and make assumptions about their overall character. It is possible for a liberal person to have a conservative stance on one particular issue.
Reply 645
Original post by L-J-B
I do not feel i was trying to override your opinions simply with my opinions, the larger point was aiming towards implying why perhaps the government doesnt feel it crucial to legalise handguns. Because of these availible and in many cases more practical (be it cheaper or more suited to purpose) alternatives. If someone truly wants a gun collection, they can still have one. If they truly want to survive in the wild and need a gun they can still have one.

I believe it is a tiny minority who truly believe they are safer with a handgun. Increase handguns increase risk of incident. Statistical inevitability.
I do not believe we should risk the majority for the views of a minority.

Im afraid democracy is based on giving up core liberties in order to establish and maintain a functioning society.

Hypothetically what if you could catagorically find more people outright opposed to guns than wanting guns. Why would it be fair to impose the views of a minority onto a majority.

When you say "gun" here, do you mean handguns specifically? As that is the only firearm I am discussing in this thread.

Sorry but it's clearly not a "tiny minority" - in this very thread, there have been many unique voices which support a more liberal approach to gun laws. And I would say that TSR represents a more Conservative, authoritarian view on things than you would typically expect from a random population sample, which would skew things even more towards a more liberal approach to gun laws.
Reply 646
Original post by Good bloke
There is no way at all that either the British public or the British government will have any sympathy at all for anyone desiring to own a handgun for the avowed purpose of self defence.

I did not say self defence, I said that they would feel more safer if they had a handgun, even if they would not use it.

That's something you authoritarians don't seem to realise. People have unique opinions that may, believe it or not, differ from your own. Even if you believe that their opinion is stupid - "lol why wud any1 want to shoot targets, dats a dum sport LoL!21" - does not mean that you can simply override their opinion with your own.
Reply 647
Original post by Selkarn
When you say "gun" here, do you mean handguns specifically? As that is the only firearm I am discussing in this thread.

Sorry but it's clearly not a "tiny minority" - in this very thread, there have been many unique voices which support a more liberal approach to gun laws. And I would say that TSR represents a more Conservative, authoritarian view on things than you would typically expect from a random population sample, which would skew things even more towards a more liberal approach to gun laws.

I mean handgun. You can have them deacttivated, antique or shoot muzzle loaders. Handguns nonetheless.

Please note i said I BELIEVE it to be a tiny minority. This is clearly opinion, do not then post your opinion as fact, ie, 'it is clearly...'

I then attempted to move the debate further into a more constructive discussion. I think you should pay attention to some comments being made about your 'style' of debate.

Again, Hypothetically what if you could catagorically find more people outright opposed to guns than wanting guns. Why would it be fair to impose the views of a minority onto a majority

Im not interested in what demographic of people vist TSR. Polls suggest Students tend to be labour by the way.
Reply 648
Fine, we can both play the game of copying and pasting. I noticed that you ignored this post of mine earlier, so I will repeat it to you now and attempt to "address" your argument with it.

You stated

"If a drug dealer wants a handgun to threaten clients and possibly shoot them for the collection of money, s/he cannot because of people such as ourselves.
If a rapist wants a handgun to make it more likely that his victim will co-operate, they cannot because of people such as ourselves.
If a jilted husband wants a handgun to take revenge on his wife and her lover, he cannot because of people such as ourselves.
If a mentally unstable person wants a handgun so that they can conceal it in public before committing mass murder, they cannot because of people such as ourselves."

However you missed a key point. They cannot LEGALLY. However, they can ILLEGALLY. There is a well known rough area not far from my house, and I have known of people who simply asked around in the local pub of said area and were soon sorted with a handgun.

As I said before, crucially, I believe that making something illegal, because of the actions of a tiny minority, sets a dangerous precedent (I find it funny that none of you have tried to argue with this line at all).
Original post by Selkarn
I did not say self defence, I said that they would feel more safer if they had a handgun, even if they would not use it.

You'd need to explain to me how anyone could feel safer by having a weapon that they would never use - such use being self defence. There is no sense in that at all.

Even if you believe that their opinion is stupid - "lol why wud any1 want to shoot targets, dats a dum sport LoL!21" - does not mean that you can simply override their opinion with your own

I think you'll find that I never use anything but good English in my posts here, and I've not referred to target shooting in anything like that way so I suspect you haven't been paying attention.
Original post by Selkarn

That's something you authoritarians don't seem to realise. People have unique opinions that may, believe it or not, differ from your own. Even if you believe that their opinion is stupid - "lol why wud any1 want to shoot targets, dats a dum sport LoL!21" - does not mean that you can simply override their opinion with your own.

You really like to play the victim, don't you. Nobody is arguing with you simply because they disagree and therefore as a result think they are right.

The anti-gun argument is based on logic, statistics, and common sense. Nobody said that target shooting was a dumb sport, all we said was that you can already participate in that sport without a handgun. Get a license and use a rifle.

The survivalist kit thing is another issue. If you want to add a gun to it, add a rifle. Add a shotgun. None of your reasons for wanting a handgun actually warrant the legalisation of them. You do not need a handgun, you simply want one. Even although common sense, statistics and logic say that allowing you to have one would be bad for society, you still demand one anyway. You think that YOUR opinion (that of the minority) should be placed upon the majority even though it would be dangerous for everyone if handguns were legal. Therefore you are the authoritarian here.
Reply 651
Original post by L-J-B
Please note i said I BELIEVE it to be a tiny minority. This is clearly opinion, do not then post your opinion as fact, ie, 'it is clearly...'.

When you say tiny minority, it implies, in my mind, a figure of 1 in a 1000. The reality is far more than that.

Original post by L-J-B
Again, Hypothetically what if you could catagorically find more people outright opposed to guns than wanting guns. Why would it be fair to impose the views of a minority onto a majority

I will answer this question with questions in the exact format that will hopefully stimulate your mind enough to reach the conclusion yourself.

"Hypothetically what if you could catagorically find more people outright opposed to people practicing Islam. Why would it be fair to impose the views of a minority onto a majority"

"Hypothetically what if you could catagorically find more people who wanted to deport all black people. Why would it be fair to impose the views of a minority onto a majority"

"Hypothetically what if you could catagorically find more people who wanted to bring back witch hunting. Why would it be fair to impose the views of a minority onto a majority"

Hopefully now, you know the answer.
Original post by Selkarn
(Quoting me)

However you missed a key point. They cannot LEGALLY. However, they can ILLEGALLY. There is a well known rough area not far from my house, and I have known of people who simply asked around in the local pub of said area and were soon sorted with a handgun.

(Bull**** that has already been stated by you)

Making handguns legal (and readily available to everyone) would mean that more criminals would have access to them than is the case at present. If you disagree with this statement I would like to see why, because you are wrong.
Reply 653
Original post by Selkarn
You stated

As I said before, crucially, I believe that making something illegal, because of the actions of a tiny minority, sets a dangerous precedent (I find it funny that none of you have tried to argue with this line at all).

In a debate not every single line has to be argued through. Generally when the opposition dont pick something up they perhaps agree with it or find more pressing issues.

Simply i do not believe this to be the case, that in this instance we have made it illegal because of the actions of a tiny minority. I am sure your answer will be based on what is 'clearly' the truth i am 'failing' to see. In any event i did not think it pertinant to the discussion.
Original post by Selkarn

I think we probably did a long time ago but you keep repeating it (like the other stuff) and it has become invisible to us. By that logic murder, of course, wouldn't be illegal because only the tiniest minority of people perpetrate it. Yet murder is illegal (and I don't think you'd want to argue that it shouldn't be), and that illegality is based on the "dangerous" precedent of the actions a tiny minority.
Reply 655
You'd need to explain to me how anyone could feel safer by having a weapon that they would never use - such use being self defence. There is no sense in that at all.

That's the point. I don't need to explain, because it is what they told me, and it is their opinion. No matter how much you understand that opinion - whether you know nothing of why they think that way, or every single detail - changes nothing about the fact that it is their opinion.
Reply 656
I think we probably did a long time ago but you keep repeating it (like the other stuff) and it has become invisible to us. By that logic murder, of course, wouldn't be illegal because only the tiniest minority of people perpetrate it. Yet murder is illegal (and I don't think you'd want to argue that it shouldn't be), and that illegality is based on the "dangerous" precedent of the actions a tiny minority.

That is an absolutely null comparison, and you know it. Murder is an act that has already been committed, i.e. the issue with murder is that it in itself is the issue. Handguns are not the issue by themselves - i.e. nobody wants to illegalise handguns simply because of the fact that they are handguns - but what they enable.
Original post by Selkarn
That's the point. I don't need to explain, because it is what they told me, and it is their opinion. No matter how much you understand that opinion - whether you know nothing of why they think that way, or every single detail - changes nothing about the fact that it is their opinion.

It isn't really a basis for legalising handguns then, is it? A vague, illogically-held view that someone might be safer that can't even be understood by you? I'd drop that one if I were you.
Original post by Selkarn
That is an absolutely null comparison, and you know it. Murder is an act that has already been committed, i.e. the issue with murder is that it in itself is the issue. Handguns are not the issue by themselves - i.e. nobody wants to illegalise handguns simply because of the fact that they are handguns - but what they enable.

I can see no sense in that at all. Goodnight.
Reply 659
Original post by Selkarn
When you say tiny minority, it implies, in my mind, a figure of 1 in a 1000. The reality is far more than that.

I will answer this question with questions in the exact format that will hopefully stimulate your mind enough to reach the conclusion yourself.

"Hypothetically what if you could catagorically find more people outright opposed to people practicing Islam. Why would it be fair to impose the views of a minority onto a majority"

"Hypothetically what if you could catagorically find more people who wanted to deport all black people. Why would it be fair to impose the views of a minority onto a majority"

"Hypothetically what if you could catagorically find more people who wanted to bring back witch hunting. Why would it be fair to impose the views of a minority onto a majority"

Hopefully now, you know the answer.

There is a subtle difference in the instances you have given me. If it WAS the case that there was a majority there would surely be quite a large march and some shop windows broken until this was resovled. In any case it would have at least reached the stage of lobbying the government. As we indeed saw with the controversial dog hunting. Lots of people signed petitions both ways.

As there is no such momentum behind legalising handguns it would surely be a logical assumption that it does not have the public support. Therefore we can assume that in fact a majority are opposed to it.

If you want to dispute this and remove assumption we could check how many people are registered against gun crime (there is a charity mothers against gun crime calling for harsher punishments). Why is there no such group in support of legalising handguns?

I believe you will just debate that more people want handguns than dont. So to remove this. Hypothetically what if we had a given proof the majority dont want handguns, Is it fair to impose the views of a minority onto a majority.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending