Turn on thread page Beta

For all you anti gun hoplophobes on here watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Look, Hardballer. I DO agree with you on weapons for shooting purposes, have fun with that. Hell, I'm even thinking about it. But I really don't believe the benefits of private gun ownership for 'efficient self-defence' outweigh the costs and consequences. Sorry.

What's the procedure for getting a shooting permit, while I'm on the subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selkarn)
    India is well known for it's authoritarian gun laws. The terrorists knew they could simply waltz into one of the most populated cities in the entire world and simply start blasting. Nobody could shoot back. It's pretty much undeniable. You keep ranting on about irrelevant things, obviously just trying to hide the fact that your argument immediately crumbles when it's exposed for the Hitleresque stance that it is.

Godwins Law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Templar49)
    Look, Hardballer. I DO agree with you on weapons for shooting purposes, have fun with that. Hell, I'm even thinking about it. But I really don't believe the benefits of private gun ownership for 'efficient self-defence' outweigh the costs and consequences. Sorry.

To get a firearms certificate you must apply to your local constabulary. You basically need to prove you have a reasonable safe place to shoot (member of a gun club, or going to become a member) or say own land.
    You then need to purchase a gun safe and lock box. Safe holds the guns, lockbox holds the ammo. (lock box can be built into the safe). The safe is usually bolted to the floor (the safe puts most people off). You may have an interview at some point.

Type of gun can be a factor. Shotguns and .22 rimfires are good guns to apply for, they serve the purpose of hunting or sporting and wont raise any real concerns. Any bigger calibers are just expensive.

It can be a little bit costly, if its shooting for fun id look into getting an air rifle. Whilst those over 12ft/lbs power require a license (exact same license as above) sub 12ft/lbs dont and are accurate up to 60 yards before pellet drop is a bigger concern (about 2 inches pellet drop in .177 at 65 yards).

The cheapest air rifles you can get are generally only accurate out to 30 yards however thats enough for most people for 'plinking'. Good fun, cheap and relatively safe if you follow good gun practice...

If you have any more questions i can do my best to answer them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L-J-B)
    Godwins Law?
    If you have an issue, take it up with JFPO.

It's understandable that the Jews for the preservation of firearm ownership use that particular reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selkarn)
    If you have an issue, take it up with JFPO.

It's understandable that the Jews for the preservation of firearm ownership use that particular reason.
    This is not Nazi Germany so JFPO's argument is invalid.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, the guy that started this thread is an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    I was going to leave, yes... And I am considering it again because you are infuriating.
    leaving the thread because of one person?
    banning all handguns because of one person?

sound familiar?

I'm not disputing that you haven't used guns before, its just that you're constantly saying that guns are the main cause of murder. well let me tell you that usa has relaxed gun laws and about 5 murders per 100,000. South africa has much more strict gun laws and 36 homicides per 100,000. America though like south africa is still generally more violent than alot of european countries. Murderers murder people, not guns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob-the-acman)
    Wow, the guy that started this thread is an idiot.
    omg like totally?????? like literally????
    sorry I'm just bringing my posts down to your level, now you got anything else to back your statement up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Templar49)

well I have a shotgun certificate which isn't too hard to get, you have to print off a form online, fill it out and send it to your local police station with a £50 cheque.
    On the form you have to provide a signature of someone with an "upstanding" occupation, I used my friend who was a teacher. With a shotgun certificate you can only buy shotguns such as double barrels, pump actions and semi autos that hold not more than 3 cartridges, 2 in the mag and 1 in the chamber. You can own as many shotguns as you want but you need a cabinet for all of them. FAC is harder to get as you need to be a member of a gun club for 3 months unless you have land.
    http://www.marplerifleandpistolclub....ral/gunlaw.htm
    http://www.shooters.co.uk/forms/Shot...ion%20form.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hardballer)
    leaving the thread because of one person?
    banning all handguns because of one person?

sound familiar?

I'm not disputing that you haven't used guns before, its just that you're constantly saying that guns are the main cause of murder. well let me tell you that usa has relaxed gun laws and about 5 murders per 100,000. South africa has much more strict gun laws and 36 homicides per 100,000. America though like south africa is still generally more violent than alot of european countries. Murderers murder people, not guns.
    I have never said guns cause murders, you havent been reading. I've said how guns make Mulder easier, makes accidental deaths more common, and minimizes your chances of escape... I also backed this up with figured and facts from other countries.
    Im not leaving the thread because of one person (and that's not why gun laws are strict either)... I'm leaving because of 2 people (the only people I'm talking to) who ignore my evidence, dismiss it despite it being from good sources, and call me names instead of engaging in a civilized debate.

Pleaded don't quote me again because I do not wish to be involved.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2011
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.