Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Ok, more accurately I think gun laws in the UK should remain the same. What is currently illegal regarding guns should remain illegal.

The UK has one of the lowest rates of gun homicide in the world. I think it is more of a priority to keep it this way, than to give people the (questionable) ability to defend themselves and their property.
    I would argue that gun crime rates by themselves mean nothing. Country A could have high murder rates and low gun crime rates. Country B could have low murder rates and high gun crime rates. Although gun crimes aren't strictly murders, it's pretty obvious to anyone that the latter, country B, is preferable.

But I am by no means a gun fanatic. To me, it's simply weighing up one freedom against another. i.e. Giving people the freedom to buy guns, against giving people the freedom not to potentially be harmed by guns. I simply believe the situation in this country is too far in restricting the freedom of people who want a gun. I understand the anti-gun freedom argument perfectly as I am an advocate of the governments dog control laws, i.e. destroying potentially dangerous dogs, which is a very similar argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hardballer)
    I own property here so can't at the moment, and thats why you don't hand in your guns when the genocidal government comes knocking, a very defeatist mindset you have

You are a massive joke... think you'd last long once they come around and you start shooting on your own?

And the image?! quite ironic since the spartans were highly trained and the persians were largely untrained (or less so) slaves. You would just be cannon fodder.

I wouldn't say i have a defeatist mindset, i train at least 3-5 times a week to fight... I lost my last one but i'm still at it. My last two i fought bigger opponents. Didn't want to have to bring that up but for some reason you think everyone who doesn't want guns is not a 'survivalist' or has a 'defeatist mindset' :rolleyes:

he imposed gun control and disarmed them before commiting the holocaust?
    Are you kidding me?! you answer your own questions. :rolleyes:

I doubt you have property here, you're obviously a kid who likes to break things. If you do then why not sell up or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmyjango)

What he said is a valid point. If history has taught us anything, it's that gun control was a policy implemented by all of the above.

ReputationRep:
    and how the **** they gonna know you have a weapon if its in your pocket? concealed. you make no sense
    A gun isnt going to do anything (and that includes the so called protection you speak of) if its concealed now is it? But the second you take it out to protect yourself the person attacking you is going to see you as a big threat at which point they are a lot more likely to kill you if they see you as a threat to their own life.

ReputationRep:
    I own property here so can't at the moment, and thats why you don't hand in your guns when the genocidal government comes knocking, a very defeatist mindset you have
    Hahahah. This is quite possibly the greatest post I have ever witnessed on TSR.

You may be pleased to hear, however, the government has just implemented a new law over here stating guns are to be given out for free, but only to citizens who have expressed the required levels of anger. They measure this through the aggregate number of swear words used in online posts.

I think you flew over the bar several posts ago.

Congratulations.

ReputationRep:
    You are a massive joke... think you'd last long once they come around and you start shooting on your own?

And the image?! quite ironic since the spartans were highly trained and the persians were largely untrained (or less so) slaves. You would just be cannon fodder.

I wouldn't say i have a defeatist mindset, i train at least 3-5 times a week to fight... I lost my last one but i'm still at it. My last two i fought bigger opponents. Didn't want to have to bring that up but for some reason you think everyone who doesn't want guns is not a 'survivalist' or has a 'defeatist mindset' :rolleyes:

I doubt you have property here, you're obviously a kid who likes to break things. If you do then why not sell up or something?
    so you're some super tough fighter yet you're scared of inanimate objects, you doubt I own property but I don't really have to prove that to you as its irrelavent, and I don't care how much of a god fighter you are because you would be no match for those scrawny 14 year olds with guns, and the point of a gun is to level the playing field like a smaller woman being able to defend herself against a 200 pound rapist, I go to the gym as well, I like to lift weights and keep my body in good shape but that doesn't mean I can take on a gang of thugs who want to kill me whereas with a gun maybe I would have a chance, and if you're going to keep whinging in every one of your posts like this "You are a massive joke" then maybe you're the kid around here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Due to the relative harm guns can do, it's not surprising that we have restrictions on their ownership. For rifles and shotguns, these restrictions are not particularly onerous. The blanket handgun ban imposed after Dunblane, however, is unjustifiable. Still, the suggestion of a universal right to bear arms - including things like automatic assault rifles - is inherently a bit dodgy. It's not even ideologically consistent unless you're going to let the public run around with heavy artillery or nuclear bombs.

Guns for personal protection are an interesting situation. Yes, a gun can save your life. Equally, even if you were surrounded by the best armed bodyguard in the world, harm is still not avoidable if the other party is carrying a gun. Assuming there was a chance of someone breaking into my home, or I had been personally threatened, then yes - I'd want to own a gun.

I think you've just failed statistical analysis.

The United States is basically the Godwin's Law of gun politics. Gun ownership rates, internationally, do not correlate directly with gun crime, so kindly stop pretending they do based on a frightfully concise study of... oh, two countries.
    I was refering to common sense. A gun makes you a bigger threat to someone elses life therefore they are more likely to kill you if they feel that your being alive is a significant threat to their life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    I was refering to common sense. A gun makes you a bigger threat to someone elses life therefore they are more likely to kill you if they feel that your being alive is a significant threat to their life.
    They are less likely to threaten you in the first place if they know, or suspect you have a gun.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be honest, If I had access to decent firearms in this country, I would have killed everyone I know and then myself, just like the two students in USA in that school. Neg me, It's horrible for me to say this, but I'm an misanthrope. It's good that guns aren't so easily available in the UK. (At the very least I would have killed myself, trust me, which is why suicide rates in countries with easy access to weapons are much higher). It can be a hobby, sure, in which case you can join the numerous gun clubs that the UK is host to, where you can use a gun. (AFAIK, IRC).

ReputationRep:
    time for some pure awesomeness, anti gun sissies won't approve

I don't get....all the fuss.....why they trying to take our guns off of us.....cos I aint gonna shoot anyone.....and noone shoots at me , cos I got a gun

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how equipping would-be criminals and nutjobs with arms is going to help in any way.

All you need is a mentally unstable person and a massive train station during rush hour and you've got 10s of deaths.

Currently, gun crime is on the rise, yes, but allowing people to actually buy guns would be like handing would-be criminals a free knife with every McDonald's purchase.

ReputationRep:
    so you're some super tough fighter yet you're scared of inanimate objects, you doubt I own property but I don't really have to prove that to you as its irrelavent, and I don't care how much of a god fighter you are because you would be no match for those scrawny 14 year olds with guns, and the point of a gun is to level the playing field, I go to the gym as well, I like to lift weights and keep my body in good shape but that doesn't mean I can take on a gang of thugs who want to kill me whereas with a gun maybe I would have a chance, and if you're going to keep whinging in every one of your posts like this "You are a massive joke" then maybe you're the kid around here
    Never said I was a super tough fighter, I was replying to your mindset comment... So you wouldn't be scared of a gun in your face (Calling it an inanimate object makes it no less deadly). Tbh i don't care about your property.

I wouldn't attack a scrawny 14 year old, i've never attacked anyone... defended myself but thats obviously different... oh and you think a 14 year old should have a gun?

Why would a gang of thugs want to kill you? Also if they're a gang of thugs and guns are readily available i think you have much less of a chance than before... Lifting weights doesn't make you a better fighter but i digress. I'd much prefer to be in a fight than a gunfight.

And nope i'm just a little shocked at some of your logic. I have seen some arguments for guns which make you think... for a second, however yours do not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Extended Arpeggio)
    I'm going to be honest, If I had access to decent firearms in this country, I would have killed everyone I know and then myself, just like the two students in USA in that school. Neg me, It's horrible for me to say this, but I'm an misanthrope. It's good that guns aren't so easily available in the UK. (At the very least I would have killed myself, trust me, which is why suicide rates in countries with easy access to weapons are much higher). It can be a hobby, sure, in which case you can join the numerous gun clubs that the UK is host to, where you can use a gun. (AFAIK, IRC).
    don't need a gun to commit suicide, a high building will suffice

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't attack a scrawny 14 year old, i've never attacked anyone... defended myself but thats obviously different... oh and you think a 14 year old should have a gun?

the kids in the article were aged 14-17 and had an illegal gun/guns, so whether I think they should have one is irrelavent because they have one anyway.

ReputationRep:
    But you must see how much easier it would be for a kid to get a hold of one?

ReputationRep:
    Anyway have fun with your internet campaign for guns, this is not a debate it's just you arguing with the world and i'm bored of you.

unsubscribed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I don't know; call me cowardly, but I think the best course of action in that situation would be to run and hide somewhere - and if you're found, just tell the guy he can take whatever he wants. I think that gives you a much better chance of survival than trying to confront him with a gun of your own. If he's got a gun and you've got a gun, in a confrontation it seems that at best, you'd only have a 50% chance of not getting shot.

Of course, this is assuming that I'm prioritising survival over retention of my property.
    i wouldnt call you a coward as i have no reason to be disrespectful toward you. Your idea is logical, however to me i couldnt do that, i would not just sit there and let them take whats mine - thats just letting them win twice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Extended Arpeggio)
    suicide rates in countries with easy access to weapons are much higher
    Wrong. And if you think it's correct, provide proof.

ReputationRep:
    Japan has one of the highest if not the highest suicide rate and the second most restrictive gun laws in the world after north korea and perhaps china

ReputationRep:
    Anyway have fun with your internet campaign for guns, this is not a debate it's just you arguing with the world and i'm bored of you.

unsubscribed.
    anyone else want to get on the train feel free

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.