Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Rise Against- Hero of war. Very moving watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pfundner)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DboMAghWcA
    Just thought id share this as i found it pretty moving, and its not often topics as poignant as these are addressed in modern music. I like war movies and such, but it can be easy to fantasise about war being nice and heroic all the time. Couldn't help thinking about Libya. Im sure some poor innocent sod has been blown up by our "interventions" in the last few days. Not to mention the million+ civilians dead in Iraq.

Reminded me of the quotes

"All wars are popular for the first 30 days."
    - Arthur Schlesinger

"Sweet is war to those who have never experienced it".

Bad times
    On to the topic of the actual thread, I agree, it's an extremely powerful and moving song. The lyrics are bang on, people go to war to fight for their country, to find something to do with their life, to make their parents proud. Sometimes, terrible things happen, and these young men are not aware of what they are getting themselves into, it leaves huge mental scars. It's a very touching story about a young soldier faced with moral dilemmas.

I love Rise Against, I love this song, and I love everything they stand for.

ReputationRep:
    It's a pretty good song. If you liked that then Survivor's Guilt from their new album explores similar issues.

(Original post by Caprisun!)
    Is any member of your family in the military? Are you in the military? No? Then why do you presume to know that this song is any way an accurate reflection of the way soldiers, airmen and marines feel or an act? Why would you assume that the song represents the 'reality of war' when you have no experience of it?

Stop making up figures, go read a paper other than The Guardian and talk to people who have some experience before passing judgment.
    In what way isn't it an accurate portrayal of what some soldiers go through?

ReputationRep:
    ---

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caprisun!)
    Some soldiers may feel like that. Most, if not all, of the soldiers I've met are very happy with the work they're doing.
    But that's the point, this song isn't saying that all soldiers feel that way about their work, it just that some soldiers do. The band based the song on the experiences of active and ex-soldiers that they met, hence they're basing their views on anecdotal evidence as are you, so how can you definitively say that the song is not an accurate portrayal of some soldier's views?

ReputationRep:
    ---

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Don't bring emotional feelings into debate. if my family was part of that 200k it would not change the fact that 200k is a lot less than a million. It would also be far more likely an Islamic fanatic killed my family than an American solider.
    you said "200k dead in 10 years of war". As if that somehow made it OK... "Oh its only 200,000, that's not that many, who cares." So I attempted to help you empathise, something you obviously struggle to do. And furthermore, half of those Islamic fanatics (whether they're any more fanatical than George Bush and co. is open to debate IMO) wouldn't be there if their country wasn't occupied by foreign invaders

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.