The Student Room Group

Peninsula dentistry. . 2011 /2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oz40
rejected from peninsula. :frown:

Sorry to hear that, how did you find out, post or UCAS track?
Original post by oz40
rejected from peninsula. :frown:

Me too! A little surprised but there we go. How do we find out what they didn't like?
Original post by cptKernow
Me too! A little surprised but there we go. How do we find out what they didn't like?

OMG so sorry to hear that, I know you've been preparing for Peninsula only for a couple of years now ... their loss! I think you'll receive a letter in the post soon with a brief reason for rejection. I think it may be due to the fact that your first degree was not biomedical/healthcare related (even though you've done a science degree with the OU). From what I remember, they only take your first degree into consideration and don't really look at any others you have done after (that's what they told me as I had a similar query).

I think you should go for it again next year after receiving feedback!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 103
Found out via UCAS Track. I was sent an email regarding an 'update over UCAS track'. Had a feeling it would be bad news particularly as there was no accompanying university letter alongside.

I haven't received any letters in the post so I'm going to call them for any feedback.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by oz40
Found out via UCAS Track. I was sent an email regarding an 'update over UCAS track'. Had a feeling it would be bad news particularly as there was no accompanying university letter alongside.

I haven't received any letters in the post so I'm going to call them for any feedback.

Yes, ask the for feedback, however count your lucky blessings that you still have a chance of getting into dental school with your interview at KCL. You still other 3 choices remaining excluding Peninsula.
Original post by high-lighter
OMG so sorry to hear that, I know you've been preparing for Peninsula only for a couple of years now ... their loss! I think you'll receive a letter in the post soon with a brief reason for rejection. I think it may be due to the fact that your first degree was not biomedical/healthcare related (even though you've done a science degree with the OU). From what I remember, they only take your first degree into consideration and don't really look at any others you hav done after (that's what they told me as I had a similar query).

I think you should go for it again next year after receiving feedback!

I did email them initially and then again last year to check if my situation and choice of courses were OK so I don't know if it would be that.

Thought I might get some credit for getting a firm prediction for a first in a full degree in 2.5 years whilst working and with 2 kids under 5! Like I said, they must have hated my PS!

Anyway, not going to hog this thread with my whinges. Congratulations to all those with interviews, good luck and maybe see you there in a couple of years.
I did email them initially and then again last year to check if my situation and choice of courses were OK so I don't know if it would be that.

Thought I might get some credit for getting a firm prediction for a first in a full degree in 2.5 years whilst working and with 2 kids under 5! Like I said, they must have hated my PS!

Anyway, not going to hog this thread with my whinges. Congratulations to all those with interviews, good luck and maybe see you there in a couple of years.

It's a shame you didn't get an interview and Africancowboy did (who had zero work experience for dentistry).
Original post by gibsoni10
Congrads on your interview Africancowboy! They obviously like us nurse eh ha ha?! I know its strange we have to be there so early if our interviews arent till the afternoon, they didnt really say what we will be doing in that time..it says something in the prospectus about getting 3 ethical scenarios and choosing one for the basis of our interview..whatever that means! Ive decided to drive over the night before and stay in a travelodge just so i dont have the stress of getting there in the morning, never driven down as far as plymouth so just incase my sat nav drives me into a tree or something! I know this sounds a weird question but what are you going to wear? Are you going to do wear a suit or just smart clothes?

My congratulations to you too Gibsoni! I guess my orthopaedic trauma nursing experience meant something to them(same as you in ICU!). The ethical scenarios should be interesting, but can be tricky at times, pending on the clinical case. I'm in a bit of trouble though as I have a master level presentation in renal failure at the University of Liverpool on the 20th at 09:30!! Urrrrgggg!!
Getting there the night before too, not booked any hotel yet though, will have to shop around soon.
Dress code: Mhhhh, I did think of a bussiness suit and a tie, but now that we all have an 08:15 start I wouldn't fancy choking myself with a tie all day, so I'll just go for smart yet presentable kind of attire (Feel like a woman now talking about what to/ not to wear ha ha!!- but I guess its important to give a good first impression!!) Good luck to all of us on the day!!!!
Reply 108

harsh. Give it a go again next year- it'll show your dedication.
Reply 109
inteview on the 20th 4.30pm excited but pooing myself too!!

any advice people on the multiple choice questions, three ethical scenarios or interview as a whole ?

Reply 110
hey any one got any info on the interview procedure....? i.e. common scenarios ? what the questionnaire asks? x x :
Original post by high-lighter
It's a shame you didn't get an interview and Africancowboy did (who had zero work experience for dentistry).

Work Experience
'The admissions tutors are interested in caring experience which may or may not be dentistry related. This could be anything from shadowing a dentist to working weekends in a care home. Include how you got involved in such work, how long you have been doing it, how much time you spent doing it and most importantly, what skills you have gained from it. This section can include anything you have done which contributes to your investigation of a career in dentistry'

Hopes this helps high-lighter,
All the best to cptKernow for the future or any other choices you may have applied to,
The above citation is from here, The Student Room by the way,
I'm thinking it might have been lack of volunteer activities wot done it for me. This was on the generic list of reasons for rejection.
I was hoping having kids would have covered this, but maybe not.

So, any suggestions for voluntary activities? I thought about some mentoring work and maybe something with old people but am happy to have a go at anything. What have other people done?

The only thing that concerns me is that volunteering as a means to an end seems somehow disingenuous.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 114
Hi if you have the time, feel free to fill in the following points regarding your application as a graduate. It would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1857662
Reply 115
I wish they would give a bit more information regarding the whole selection process, do you think they are deliberately being vague so that we cant prepare ourselves? These multiple choice questions, are they just questions about yourself or will they be testing dental knowledge (a family friend whos a dentist said its unlikely they will ask about dental related knowledge as we havent even started yet!), but maybe just need to read up on current dental related issues? I might maybe give them a ring and just see if i can get a bit more information.. will update on here when i know :-D
Reply 116
please do update GIBSONI10 would be a great help!!

I dont know what to expect either :-/
So, any of you who lucky people who got interviews care to do a little mentoring?! No seriously, if any of you would be so kind as to have a look over my PS or anything like that and say what you think I would be immensely grateful. Just PM me if you can spare the time.

Reply 118
Hey guys, i was searching through old discussions regarding dentistry at Peninsula and i found someone who gave their account of their interview day. Ill copy and paste it as it gives you an idea of what to expect (hope she doesnt mind!);

Heya guys!!

Dont worry guys, I had my interview yesterday, no need to worry, the people are really friendly. There is a questionnnaire to fill in before the interview in a prep room, the interview is not based on this it's an excercise to focus your mind on something before the interview and they may look at it if you are borderline so if they are deciding between you and another candidate say. You get 3 scenarios on a piece of paper given to you in the prep room which are all different ethical dillemas or situations and you just need to choose one and pick out the main ethical issues e.g. consent, you can make some notes on a piece of paper that they provide for you, I just read the scenario over and over to make sure I grasped the main points and wrote down the overriding issues and then a few additional notes about the scenario, they take the notes in after aswell, but dont think they use them for anything prob just so you cant show other people.

The interview begins with you telling the panel about the ethical issues you have picked out, then they ask you a series of questions based on the scenario and kind of extend the scenario further. It wouldn't really benefit you to know what the scenarios we had were, I think it's best just to answer the questions they give you on the spot. They just want to get an idea of who you are. They just mix in a couple of other questions about you and your experiences (not necessarily dental related) they want to see if you are suitable to the profession.

You dont get an opportunity to look around the university as it is in a hotel which was a shame but there is I think 3 sessions throughout the day where you get the opportunity to ask a couple of current students any questions you may have. From what they were saying the course sounds great and made me want to go there even more!! Just terrified after all this I won't get in!!
Reply 119
Hi

I know the girl who posted that and she's called Mell, she wont mind she's lovely. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest