Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In medicine is there such things as a first, 2:1 etc like with other degrees?

ReputationRep:
    no pass or fail from what i've read on the forum

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Pass or pass with honours.

ReputationRep:
    No but I think the top 25% get a distinction or something of the sort.

ReputationRep:
    There are a few places that make you do a preclinical course (Oxbridge and a few of the London unis I think) in which you get a class, but you still have to take exams counting towards your medical degree which are pass/fail. After your preclinical course you go on to the clinical course in which you aren't classed but again is pass/fail

ReputationRep:
    We get a class for the BMedSci, but it doesn't effect it's MTAS value.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SemperVivum)
    Nope. Pass or pass with honours.

(Original post by dunnicare)
    No but I think the top 25% get a distinction or something of the sort.

(Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    We get a class for the BMedSci, but it doesn't effect it's MTAS value.
    Fission is this for all unis?

Dunni and sempre are u guys sure bout this? not tryna doubt u just making sure.

ReputationRep:
    There are slight variations between schools as to whether they award honours or distinctions at all but medical degrees are traditionally pass / fail. Preclinical courses can be classified as normal degrees - so for example a student taking their preclinical course at St Andrews would leave with a BSc classified degree (1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd) and then transfer to Manchester for the clinical years and leave there with a MBChB degree that is awarded on a pass / fail or pass with honours basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gunner4lyf44)

I said I think so don't quote me on it. Wait for the med students/medics to come in. Beska seems to know everything related to medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gunner4lyf44)

At Notts we do two degrees, the BMedSci, which is a sort of compulsory intercalated degree, and is classified, and then the BMBS afterwards.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Unclassified (in the traditional sense).

I know at Newcastle you can pass the years with merit/distinction if you meet certain conditions, not sure if this effects the final degree or not. I doubt it. You may graduate with "MBBS with Merit" or something but I doubt it really counts for anything.

e: Just checked. Merits/distinction are provided after end-of-year examinations (i.e. "I passed the first year with merit") and good performance throughout the entire degree means you are awarded "MBBS with Honours" upon graduation - again, this probably means naff all in the grand scheme of things. But yeh.

ReputationRep:
    The degree is pass or fail.

The schools have different ways of awarding merits, distinctions or honours. Some do it by year, some by clinical/pre-clinical split, some overall and some a combination.

Each graduate is given a quartile relating to their standing within their cohort, this does not appear on the certificate or transcript but, currently, is used in applying for foundation posts.

UG intercalated degrees are classified in the same way as a normal undergraduate degree. In Oxford, Cambridge and ?Andys this is based on marks for the first three years.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Renal)
    The schools have different ways of awarding merits, distinctions or honours.
    Is it anything more substantial than just bragging rights?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    UG intercalated degrees are classified in the same way as a normal undergraduate degree. In Oxford, Cambridge and ?Andys this is based on marks for the first three years.
    Nah. They're marked separately - First BM Part 1 & First BM Part 2 (where you can fail, pass, pass with merit(s), distinction) & then the 'Final Honour School'/intercalated BA is based on those 4 terms (when I did it was 3 exams, an essay & a project) which has your standard unclassified, pass with honours of 3rd, 2nd (upper and lower) or 1st class. Only the preclinical parts (First BM) counted towards ranking.

Some places do the overall degree 'with Distinction' rather than 'with Honours'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Is it anything more substantial than just bragging rights?
    Yes, there are a handful of points available for prizes, distinctions, scholarships, etc. at ST application, medical school stuff is worth very few of these compared to regional, national or international stuff but still, points mean prizes.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can get a BDS with distinction/honours/merit.... I think its just a pass or a fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dentistry1)
    I don't think you can get a BDS with distinction/honours/merit.... I think its just a pass or a fail.
    You can get BDS with honours at King's, Glasgow, Bristol and Barts - don't know about other places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SemperVivum)
    You can get BDS with honours at King's, Glasgow, Bristol and Barts - don't know about other places.
    Nice, I'm going to Glasgow

ReputationRep:
    Who's degree comes with honours? Since the MBBS (or whatever) is not an honours degree, I'm not sure you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Who's degree comes with honours? Since the MBBS (or whatever) is not an honours degree, I'm not sure you can.
    Manchester awards its MBChB degree with a pass or honours - I only know as my sister went there and was one of the 8 people in her year who got honours.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.