Turn on thread page Beta

Normal to cry at my cats death watch

ReputationRep:
    I had my cat put down last Friday. He was 18 and his liver had failed. Despite him having a good, long, healthy life I still found myself bursting into tears when I got home. It was the first time I had cried for ages I loved him more than anything in the world

Do people think this is normal (bearing in mind I'm a 19 year old man) or not??

ReputationRep:
    Definitely right. You've had your cat for ages, you really loved him and formed a connection with him, he was a part of your life, and it's normal to be upset and mourn for a while.

I was well upset when my dog died and will be crushed when I lose my current one - although he's only 3 so it should be a long way away. I'm very sorry for you, OP But don't feel daft being upset - everyone loves their pets (and if they don't, they're the ones with the problem).

ReputationRep:
    It's normal.

ReputationRep:
    This is totally normal! I really feel for you OP, you gave that cat 18 years of love and joy. You'll feel better with time. I hope you're okay Be proud of the time you had with him.

ReputationRep:

This was me when I realised Harry Potter was over.

ReputationRep:
    I cried like a baby for a week

It was only last summer...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry.C)

This was me when I realised Harry Potter was over.
    Wait..

It's over?!

ReputationRep:
    Cheers everyone, feel a lot better now. That black guy pretty much sums up my face when it happened

ReputationRep:
    Well then it's presumable that you knew the cat for most of your life so it'd be weird if you weren't upset about it, nothing wrong with crying about that so don't worry about it

ReputationRep:
    Deffo! Espeacially how you've practically grown up with it.
    I swear I'm goin to cry when my rabbit dies :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugbyladosc)
    Wait..

It's over?!
    Just the anticipation of it all ending makes me well up.

Thinking about it now is bringing the feeling back.

:cry2:

ReputationRep:
    Like someone else said, I will be crushed when my dog dies I don't even want to think about it. I even well up when I see dogs cooped up in bad conditions in pet shops and the like, I'm really bad.

Sorry about your cat

ReputationRep:
    I cried when my hamster of one year (and a bit) died.

18 is quite an old cat! It's not surprising you miss him. Just think of the good/fun times and know that he was loved and part of a loving family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry.C)
    Just the anticipation of it all ending makes me well up.

Thinking about it now is bringing the feeling back.

:cry2:
    Chin up there are going to more films!

... with Emma Watson :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, even my parents cried when my old horse died (and I cried every day for about 2 months!) Don't be embarassed about it; there's no shame in missing someone who you've spent a lot of time with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugbyladosc)
    Chin up there are going to more films!

... with Emma Watson :sexface:
    Personally it's professor mcgonagall I'd like to see get a spin-off film.

:drool:

ReputationRep:
    i was a mess for days when my cat got run over. wed only had him for less than a year, but i loved him so much. and im glad i was on study leave when it happened because if i had to go to school, id have probably got questioned as to why i was crying, i was upper 6 btw.

emotion is natural!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry OP. It's perfectly normal. Pets form a relationship with you. I still get a bit teary even now, over a year since my dog died. She was a puppy when I was about 5 and I named her and she grew up with me. We'd go on walks, she'd sit on my lap, I'd feed her religiously every night. She god epilepsy to the end of her life and we had her put down when she couldn't control her bladder properly as a result. It was really sad seeing her degenerate and she was put down whilst I was at uni. Anyway, they're a big part of your life to miss and it's sad.

ReputationRep:
    My cat's been missing for about a year :sad:

Nothing wrong with crying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndyD66)
    I had my cat put down last Friday. He was 18 and his liver had failed. Despite him having a good, long, healthy life I still found myself bursting into tears when I got home. It was the first time I had cried for ages I loved him more than anything in the world

Do people think this is normal (bearing in mind I'm a 19 year old man) or not??
    Perfectly normal. I'd cry loads if my cat died. It sounds strange but they become part of the family.

My old cat was 18 too, it's a very good age for a cat to get to!

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.