Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Normal to cry at my cats death watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 19 year old man as well and I have 2 cats.
    I'm almost certain I'd cry if anything happened to either of them.

ReputationRep:
    i was in tears last week when i found out my cat may have cancer and may need to be put down. So really nothing wrong with it, thankfully the tumour appears to be non malignant so he'll just need check ups to make sure he doesn't get ill, but when he does die which will probably be in the next few years as he is 14yrs old i will be devastated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimzdy)
    i was in tears last week when i found out my cat may have cancer and may need to be put down. So really nothing wrong with it, thankfully the tumour appears to be non malignant so he'll just need check ups to make sure he doesn't get ill, but when he does die which will probably be in the next few years as he is 14yrs old i will be devastated.
    You may have another 6 years with him yet! Think of the good times you've still got rather than thinking of when you may lose him.

It's normal to be sad and cry when any pet dies, not just a cat or a dog. I'm devastated each and every time I lose a guinea pig. They may not be as interactive or long-lived as cats and dogs, but each and every one of them is a member of my family and I mourn their loss when they die.

Again, think of the good times you had with your cat, and be sure that you gave him the best life you could and that you loved him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndyD66)
    I had my cat put down last Friday. He was 18 and his liver had failed. Despite him having a good, long, healthy life I still found myself bursting into tears when I got home. It was the first time I had cried for ages :( I loved him more than anything in the world

Do people think this is normal (bearing in mind I'm a 19 year old man) or not??
    It's normal, my cat died the other day, he was 18 as well, my first per :) He'd been with you for your whole life of course you were gonna get emotional when he passed :)

ReputationRep:
    I cried for ages when my budgie flew away...
    No, when my mum LOST my budgie

AND THEN SHE LOST THE SECOND ONE.

Oh, it's all coming back...

ReputationRep:
    I had my cat put down last Friday. He was 18 and his liver had failed. Despite him having a good, long, healthy life I still found myself bursting into tears when I got home. It was the first time I had cried for ages I loved him more than anything in the world

Of course it's normal - if you're 19 and your cat was 18, you grew up with him. Of course it's going to be a massive wrench.

I had to put my cat down last May - she was only 10, but she had problems with her kidneys which eventually led to kidney failure. It was the most painful experience ever. I wept like a baby in front of the vets and nurses - normally i'm pretty stoical and wouldn't dream of crying in front of anybody, let alone complete strangers. But our pets are big parts of our lives - i see losing a pet the same a losing a friend.

ReputationRep:
    I cried when I was watching Marley & Me and that wasn't even my dog!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    I cried when I was watching Marley & Me and that wasn't even my dog!
    :bawling: sad times

ReputationRep:
    Commiserations; I cried when my hamster died :3 so for a cat... perfectly normal

ReputationRep:
    I had my cat put down last Friday. He was 18 and his liver had failed. Despite him having a good, long, healthy life I still found myself bursting into tears when I got home. It was the first time I had cried for ages I loved him more than anything in the world

If you didn't cry then you would be a weird man.

Unforunately I've had too many pets die/get put down since I was born. My parents had 5 cats when I was born and they were all between 8 and 10 at the time. 4 of them reached 18 and one got to 19, so they all died when I was about 9/10 years old. I remember crying about them but at that age it didn't really upset me for a long time because, lets be honest, when you're that kind of age nothing really sticks in your mind for a long time.

Then unfortunately in the past 4 years we've had 2 of our dogs die. Billy, our basset hound cross collie, who was the first dog we ever had, managed to escape from our garden and chased something across about 3 miles of fields and got hit by a car on the road on the far side (this was about 4 years ago). I was an absolute wreck for about a week and even now I still find myself going a bit misty eyed when I think about him. I get the same feeling with the dog we had next too, Barney was a basset fauve de bretagne and he died in his sleep while we were out at a meal. He was happy and (as far as we knew) healthy when we left and gone by the time we got back. Even just typing this up now I'm getting a bit teary.

Getting upset when a pet you've had for a long time is natural, it doesn't matter if your old, young, male or female, if you don't get upset you're not normal.

By the way, I'm a 20 year old guy.

ReputationRep:
    Talking of Harry Potter, I nearly cried when Buckbeak was going to be killed! So yeah, it's normal to cry.

Harry Potter saga was my childhood

ReputationRep:
    Going to be inconsolable when my kitty dies... She's been there every day of my life for 16 years, literally as long as I can remember. The thought of coming home and not seeing her sprint to the door and look up at me with her little face is enough to get me going :/ she sleeps with her head on my pillow (yes like a human) sometimes too...

I like to think when she does pass all of the atoms and neurons etc that make her, that make her personality and everything will ultimately be returned to the earth and recycled if you will. Maybe one day in an event as likely as the big bang we'll find ourselves together again...

YES I'M A BIG STUPID WUSS

Sorry for your loss OP, take comfort in knowing that you gave your little friend the best life he could possibly wish for.

ReputationRep:
    aww my cat went missing for a few days and he was a house cat. I was absolutely devastated but luckily he came home so I kinda understand how you feel. Its perfectly fine because animals and pets do become part of the family

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisnew)
    Going to be inconsolable when my kitty dies... She's been there every day of my life for 16 years, literally as long as I can remember. The thought of coming home and not seeing her sprint to the door and look up at me with her little face is enough to get me going :/ she sleeps with her head on my pillow (yes like a human) sometimes too...

I like to think when she does pass all of the atoms and neurons etc that make her, that make her personality and everything will ultimately be returned to the earth and recycled if you will. Maybe one day in an event as likely as the big bang we'll find ourselves together again...

YES I'M A BIG STUPID WUSS

Sorry for your loss OP, take comfort in knowing that you gave your little friend the best life he could possibly wish for.
    Don't call yourself a wuss! It's perfectly normal! And my cat sleeps on my pillow like a human too lol he likes to be under the covers! Its strange how human like cats can be at times

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, didn't think I would get this much response when starting this thread!!

Feel a lot better now, I just didn't think that many people found it such a big deal when they lose their pet, but obviously I was wrong

And sorry to those who have lost their pet recently

ReputationRep:
    Completely normal. Thoughts go out to you and your kitty isn't in pain anymore. *hug*

ReputationRep:
    perfectly normal!i was gutted when my dog got put down

ReputationRep:
    I know I'd cry if my dog died - especially if I was still living with him..

I hope that my parents would tell me after he died, rather than letting me say goodbye over skype, because I'd just collapse.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 21, and I can tell you now that when the day comes for my two cats (which I fear won't be long for one of them) I'll be distraught. I've never experienced grief due to death before, and I'm really attached to my cats; they've been my best friends since childhood. Not much scares me in life, but, the thought of losing them and the what will come next really scares me. It's like knowing there's a terrible storm coming and you have no choice but to face it... And it'll take all the inner strength you have just to get through it.

But in answer to your question, crying is the appropiate response. It's unavoidable at times! And I'm sorry for your loss...

ReputationRep:
    Oh, that's really sad

I was so upset when we had to get our cat put down, I'd had him for almost my entire life as well. It's completely normal to cry! A pet can be almost like a member of the family - it's been a year but I still miss having him around the house.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.