Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.rediff.com/getahead/2005/dec/19ibank.htm

Someone passed this article to me recently, and after finishing reading it I was pretty shocked. I mean, I had heard that IB can be stressful and have long hours, but from what this guy describes it sounds like an absolute nightmare!

ReputationRep:
    Well, it certainly isn't a fluffy job with lots of puppies and kittens and stuff! It's a damn hard job. It's a jungle. But if you survive it, you get rewarded massively.

ReputationRep:
    The rewards for this kind of career is amazing. But you will lose your soul in the process. There was a asian guy on TSR who was an IBer, he was loaded and had it all. Apparently he jumped off the roof of his own party and commited suicide. I heard it was something to do with the stress that came with his job. This kind of career will drive people mad, but if you can maintain balance between your career and personal life, than kudos to you holmes.

PS. Gold diggers generally come attached with this kind of career.

ReputationRep:
    'Greed is good' is what Michael Douglas inculcated in me. I saw the s**** apartment Charlie Sheen lived in with his perfect woman and I thought, that's the life I want.
    People so stupid that they can misread Wall Street that badly shouldn't be allowed to become investment bankers.

ReputationRep:
    I was expecting something worse tbh

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a bit of a tit.

ReputationRep:
    I clicked on this thinking you were talking about the International Baccalaureate...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluesky42)
    I clicked on this thinking you were talking about the International Baccalaureate...
    Same!

ReputationRep:
    It is worth it though.

ReputationRep:
    It certainly comes with the job. Though, don't forget it compensates massively.

Cityboy is a book written by a former banker come journalist. Apparently he had a column in some London daily before writing the book, where he wrote about being a banker and all of the **** that comes with it. Really funny book. Might open your eyes a little.

ReputationRep:
    yeh thats totally moronic...i could go on but two points...the guy works in india so his experience isn't transferable and the fact that he says investment bankers know how to value businesses instantly shows you shouldn't take anything he says seriously.

in short, IB is what it is. its a difficult job but not more difficult than any other job. what is difficult is doing a job that you aren't good at or don't enjoy. the only lesson from this guy is don't be like him and be a ****ing moron and pick your career from watching a film...don't worry about getting paid, it isn't difficult to make money doing the thing you do best...if you try and go after the cash you will get found out eventually just like this guy...its pretty simple.

ReputationRep:
    The article doesn't sound THAT bad, I thought it'd be a lot worse. They didn't even talk about alcohol and drugs that much.

ReputationRep:
    IBs are vermin.

ReputationRep:
    these threads bring out the worst in IB&C (and the usual confused International Baccalaureate kids)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
    these threads bring out the worst in IB&C (and the usual confused International Baccalaureate kids)
    And IB haters like the poster above you :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    It is worth it though.
    Yah, it might compensate massively, but what are you doing to do with all the money?

You're working 80 hours a week, what do you do, decide to go buy a big, expensive plasma TV (or insert other expensive things here) during your half-hour break (if you even get one) and pay to have it delivered to your house? Then you either have no time during the week to even enjoy it, or you're just too exhausted from overwork and have to spend every minute of your time-off catching up on sleep?

ReputationRep:
    at least if youre a woman you can just get your tits out and **** your boss/everyone for what you want. maybe try a sexchange?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secret_geek)
    at least if youre a woman you can just get your tits out and **** your boss/everyone for what you want. maybe try a sexchange?!
    It's great that's the mentality you have...

ReputationRep:
    Just me that was expecting a week in the life of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedger)
    It certainly comes with the job. Though, don't forget it compensates massively.

Cityboy is a book written by a former banker come journalist. Apparently he had a column in some London daily before writing the book, where he wrote about being a banker and all of the **** that comes with it. Really funny book. Might open your eyes a little.
    wouldn't put too much faith in him giving an accruate ricture of what happening. besides of that, he wasn't a banker but a researcher
    and most people i know who knew him said he was quite the odd-ball and a bit off even when he was still in the business.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.