Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

HELP! Wrong degree choice? :( watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am seriuosly struggling with evry thing at the moment, especially in school.
    Chemistry is seriously challenging and I feel like i am constantly having to work 10000x harder than anyone else just to get half the grades they do!

I have chosen a degress in Biomedical Sciences and have applied to Hertfordshire, Essex, Reading, Nottingham Trent and Chester and have received offers from first four listed.

I was considering putting Essex and Reading as my frist two choices. Problem is Reading have given me an offer for Biological Sciences.. Which I MOST definitely do NOT want to do. I am only interested in the human biology and not the plant biology that comes along with Biological Sciences.... What do I do???? I might have applied for Biological by mistake but surely this would have been picked up by my sixth form tutors??

I do really like both universities!

And I also have been seriously thinking wether Biomedical Science is what I really want to spend the rest of my lie doing.. I know you can advance yourself once you qualify but I think I would quite like to do medicine, even though it is more challenging.
    How is it to switch courses during the first year at university?? Or is it better to finich the degree and apply for graduate medicine? But I will be like 28yrs old by the the time I qualify as a doctor??

How do I know what is the best degreee for me??

ReputationRep:
    Graduate medicine is extremely competitive, around twice as hard to get into than A100 depending upon the university. Switching at the end of first year is even more competitive, as you need to be literally best in the class (I think). As for choosing between Essex/Reading, the university itself isn't everything, don't go to Reading if you'll hate half of the course there. As a result I'd recommend you firm Essex seeing as you say you really like that university too.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks for the advice. I have emailed Reading asking to be transered on to the Biomedical Science course instead. If they should accept, which if the two would you recommend for the course/ know really great stuff about either of the unis.

I was also thinking if I serisously want to do medicine, I could wait a year and re-apply.. because it might be a cheaper way to do medicine than to finish a degree first then go on to do medicine...but of course this does mean waiting another year..

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.