Turn on thread page Beta

how will i possibly achieve an A in french watch

ReputationRep:
    hi just wanted to know if anyone could help me with some advice because i would be in a better position if i achieve an A in french (A level) but regardless to how much revision that i do, an A in french will be almost impossible for an english speaking student.?

ReputationRep:
    Just doing small things like change your fb language to French, watch French films, listen to French music etc. helps get the language in your head without doing much work. If you're doing AQA French (not sure about the other boards) look into ideas in newspapers etc. for your debates in the oral - In some cases you need to first have the ideas in English before transferring them to another language. Do some listening practice and past papers (ask teachers for help with this) If you don't learn well by just reading through notes find a way that suits you. Not sure how you can say an A is almost impossible for an English student seeing as the majority who do A level French are English speaking with it being a qualification taken in England!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackyblueyes)
    hi just wanted to know if anyone could help me with some advice because i would be in a better position if i achieve an A in french (A level) but regardless to how much revision that i do, an A in french will be almost impossible for an english speaking student.?
    I'd agree wholeheartedly with frespanglish (awesome name, by the way!): I did AQA, and being well-informed really is useful. If you have the opportunity to use any statistics to back up your argument, that's also worth looking into. Even though I've never bought it myself, I'd recommend Francoscopie, which your teachers may have (or you could ask your school librarian nicely ...).

Furthermore, things like setting your Facebook language into French can make a real difference (if anything, you'll learn a lot of vocabulary about social networks!).

The final thing: it sounds obvious, but practise, practise, practise! One thing I found really helpful was setting up a conversation group for the last few weeks before the exams, where we discussed a different exam topic for two or three lunchtimes per week and one person took notes for everyone to use. The more you speak, the closer you come towards being natural and relaxed.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Speak in English, just slightly louder than normal. I hear that it makes English pretty much the same as French.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackyblueyes)
    if you're doing AQA AS (or even A2 I guess) just keep practising ideas for the essay, I wrote down little tables last year for like advantages/disadvantages of the tv, internet etc just to memorise some basic ideas I could expand in the exam.
    I agree with the suggestion of a lunchtime speaking club to practise your speaking, we've recently started one at my school and it's a good way to listen to new ideas and develop your own. I think it's important to sit down and learn the vocab specific for each topic too, I like making a sheet for each topic with important vocab on it like vocab for the environment etc etc. Look on the internet, there are quite a lot of really good resources out there, I particularly like frenchteacher.net, i've found many useful worksheets and things on there that I print off and use for revision! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Languages Nutter)
    I'd agree wholeheartedly with frespanglish (awesome name, by the way!)
    Thanks Languages Nutter! The conversation group is a really good idea as well. I often talk to my friends in French/Spanish as a chance to practise. Can be quite amusing when my non-linguist friends hear us as they get paranoid we're *****ing about them when we're just chatting! (Most of the time... )

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys, although the problem that i have is that i am the only student so the lunchtime chat thing may be a problem but i appreciate all of the advice and will take it onboard i have my oral exam tomorrow and im petrafied!! lol p.s i'm loving the name " hellogoodbye"

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.