The Student Room Group

Studying abroad or 1 year work placement?

I have either option for my second year, which is better in your opinion? I know its mostly comes down to yourself but I am unsure what to do.
Reply 1
Go abroad. You've got years ahead of you to work but you'll probably never get the chance to live and study in another country again.

Where would you be going?
Reply 2

Both options do have benefits and what Larrabee says is true. Useful work experience is quite difficult to find abroad for a whole year. However, if you can find something, it is definitely an advantage when it comes to finding employment after uni. Experience seems really important nowadays. Plus it gets you to work with people from the country / native speakers. Studying can be quite Erasmus based although exposure to the language is great and you are constantly around other students at the uni.
Reply 3
Go abroad, it's an amazing experience and you learn FAR more than you ever would on a work placement :smile: About yourself, mainly.
Reply 4
Original post by georgia
Go abroad, it's an amazing experience and you learn FAR more than you ever would on a work placement :smile: About yourself, mainly.

I leant a lot about myself on my work placement, as well as gaining valuable experience work wise. Admittedly it was abroad, but still...
not everyone is guaranteed to get a placement though are they?
Reply 6
Original post by hannah_dru
I leant a lot about myself on my work placement, as well as gaining valuable experience work wise. Admittedly it was abroad, but still...

Where and what did you do?
Reply 7
Original post by T.I.
Where and what did you do?

I worked in Germany for a year (for my year abroad) as a translator and proofreader.
Reply 8
Original post by hannah_dru

I think for me it's been the 'abroad' bit that's been key. Studying...is not a priority for Erasmus.
Reply 9
Original post by georgia
I think for me it's been the 'abroad' bit that's been key. Studying...is not a priority for Erasmus.

Yeah I definitely think being abroad helps you realise a lot of things you didn't think about before.
Reply 10
I'd personally go for a work placement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending