The Student Room Group

Has Anyone Seen Missing Imperial College Student Anthony Soh?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Broderss
I doubt you'll find him, apparently there's thousands of other missing Japanese who haven't yet been found. I don't know what's going on but obviously there's something that means finding missing Japanese persons is very difficult.

another user: (Littlexetius)
Although u think hes from japan hes chinese origin and comes from medway so hes english!
Reply 21
Look on the group btw, he's been found dead.
Sad sad news.
May Anthony Soh rest in peace.
Reply 23
My thoughts are with his family.
Thoughts are with his family RIP :frown:
Reply 25
In Memory of Anthony Soh

Imperial College London has learnt with great sadness of the death of Anthony Soh, also known as Yen, a Mechanical Engineering undergraduate student in his first year at the College. Anthony, 18, was extremely highly thought of by all who knew him, and was on course to excel in his studies.

The thoughts and sympathies of the College community are with his family and friends at this very difficult time. The College would like to extend its gratitude to all those who supported the search for Anthony over the last two weeks.

Dr Michael Bluck, Lecturer in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Hall Warden at Wilson House, which was Anthony’s student hall, said:

“Anthony was a very popular resident of Wilson House and his many friends will miss him dearly. He was well known for his effervescent nature and was always around if there was fun to be had. Anthony had a sharp technical mind, was a bright and diligent student of the Mechanical Engineering department, and had already shown great promise.”

http://www2.imperial.ac.uk/blog/reporter/2011/04/07/in-memory-of-anthony-soh/
Reply 26
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12999957

His body was found in Hyde Park. RIP.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
rip
(edited 13 years ago)
Damn, RIP :frown:

Death not being treated as suspicious.
rip

does anyone know the cause?
Was this the body in the serpentine that was on BBC news earlier? Also, why not treated as suspicious, have they found a natural cause? :s-smilie:

*just actually read the article link :frown:

why a neg?!?!
(edited 13 years ago)
RIP.
may he rest in peace, my most deepest thoughts go out towards his close friends, family and anyone else who has been affected. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rest in Peace..
Reply 34
From his brother, Jeff Soh via the FB group
I would also like to share some thoughts regarding the details of Anthony's death...
Having spoken to the coroner who has analysed his body - they have found no external or internal injuries and no water in Anthony's lungs (to all the family's surprise) and has classified his death as caused by 'Immersion' - in the sense that it was the shock of the cold water that had stopped his heart.

Given this information and other facts from the night and knowing Anthony. I believe (my opinion) is that Anthony was drunk and hyperactive (normal for him under the influences of alcohol) and on his attempt to run home through Hyde Park (normal route) he jumped the Hyde Park fences around 11pm on Tuesday 21st March. Having run past The Serpentine he made a spontaneous decision to expel his excess energy by swimming in The Serpentine (an act he has mentioned on a previous occasion to his friend) where unfortunately he died unintentionally by the shock of the cold water which stopped his heart ('Immersion').
Reply 35
Original post by booraad
From his brother, Jeff Soh via the FB group
I would also like to share some thoughts regarding the details of Anthony's death...
Having spoken to the coroner who has analysed his body - they have found no external or internal injuries and no water in Anthony's lungs (to all the family's surprise) and has classified his death as caused by 'Immersion' - in the sense that it was the shock of the cold water that had stopped his heart.

Given this information and other facts from the night and knowing Anthony. I believe (my opinion) is that Anthony was drunk and hyperactive (normal for him under the influences of alcohol) and on his attempt to run home through Hyde Park (normal route) he jumped the Hyde Park fences around 11pm on Tuesday 21st March. Having run past The Serpentine he made a spontaneous decision to expel his excess energy by swimming in The Serpentine (an act he has mentioned on a previous occasion to his friend) where unfortunately he died unintentionally by the shock of the cold water which stopped his heart ('Immersion').

That's crazy. A healthy 18 year old male killed by jumping into some cold water? Either 6 pints really ****ed his heart/brain up, or there is more to it than that :s

Btw, isn't Hyde Park really busy? How could they not notice a corpse floating around for 15 days+?
(edited 13 years ago)
this is murder in my opinion and truly disturbing.

why would he do this himself? very suspicious!

my thoughts are with his family and friends at this time :frown:

and also I've been neg repped for being a realist. I said he could have gone to Japan as I was told on another forum as well as Facebook that he was from Japan. anyway, *******s to my rep, again, my thoughts are with Anthonys family and friends.
Reply 37
Written by his brother, Jeff Soh:

There is no great genius without some touch of madness.' (Seneca)

Anthony was always active and often 'hyperactive' in all positive senses of the word, ever since his childhood (after all - there were always three boys in the house). Brotherly competition was always healthy in the house, competing in strength, in speed, in eating watermelons, in academics...

Anthony was amazingly bright and ambitious; he always looked to excel, and was passionate about mechanical engineering. His mind was full of creativity and he was always experimenting in all aspects of his life from tic tacs to magnets, in martial arts and in engineering. He was always one step ahead of the game when it came to mechanical engineering, before KERS in formula 1 had come out, he had already thought of the idea of storing wasted energy in a car from coasting (when your foot is off the accelerator) in the form of electricity to be used (aged 15). He also had a passion for magnets and had experimented with devices to shoot out metallic objects using magnetic energy by the age of 14, which came to be known as a 'rail gun' a few years later. His prediction that electric cars/motorbikes would dominate future travel at the age of 16 is also looking to come true... In my eyes, he was a true genius and we had always had a pact to start our business as the three of us...

Socially, Anthony was always full of energy and excitement. He was a friendly character and was able to get on with everyone. He was always the life of the party - his energy was contagious. He always tried to live by his favourite film: 'Yes Man'. Indeed he was a 'Yes Man', saying yes to life and trying all sports and activities from riding on his motorbike, ballroom dancing, violin, martial arts, piano, American football, football, tennis, rock climbing (the list goes on!)...

I have no fear to say that he lived his life to the fullest (a quality that I hope to learn and fulfill) - so much so that he was never one to go in the conventional manner, but always in what he loved doing best at that moment in time - and in that moment it so happened to be swimming in The Serpentine.

Although I am not religious, a statement that was taught to me has always stuck with me and that is that man has always wished to live as a God (for as a God you can live for eternity) and the Gods have always wished to live as man because when life is limited - life is sweeter. And I am confident to say that Anthony lived a life so full - that the Gods would indeed be jealous.

I like to imagine Anthony, the genius and cheeky character that he was, as having figured out the secret - cheated life and skipped to the ending, forever living in the heavens above as the hyperactive 18 year old, full of energy and mobility... whilst for the rest of us - we will reach heaven in old age, barely walking... so let the sadness go as once again, I he has figured it out and is one step ahead of us :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending