Turn on thread page Beta

Can't think of a word - something LIKE onomatopoeia but not quite the same?! watch

ReputationRep:
    So as in "luxurious" really makes you immediately think of wealth and indulgence... The word itself sounds "luxurious". Not exactly onomatopoeic but something like that?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/luxury

ReputationRep:
    ostentatious - maybe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelissaRB)
    So as in "luxurious" really makes you immediately think of wealth and indulgence... The word itself sounds "luxurious". Not exactly onomatopoeic but something like that?
    I believe the word you're searching for is adjective.

ReputationRep:
    I mean a grammatical term for a word that conjures up strong imagery of it's meaning. If there even is a term like that As in onomatopoeia means a word that sounds like it's action but I don't think I could call "luxury" onomatopoeic

ReputationRep:
    Opulence?

ReputationRep:
    I mean a grammatical term for a word that conjures up strong imagery of it's meaning. If there even is a term like that As in onomatopoeia means a word that sounds like it's action but I don't think I could call "luxury" onomatopoeic
    It reminds me of "inscape", a term coined by poet Gerard Manley Hopkins. I know exactly what you mean and I think there is a more common term but I can't think of it just now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaeilgeoir)
    It reminds me of "inscape", a term coined by poet Gerard Manley Hopkins. I know exactly what you mean and I think there is a more common term but I can't think of it just now.
    Lol not being able to remember this word is making me go crazy! Glad you know what I mean, though

ReputationRep:
    I can't think of an exact term for it but this might be interesting for you - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_symbolism

edit- maybe 'ideophone'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blu tack)
    I can't think of an exact term for it but this might be interesting for you - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_symbolism

edit- maybe 'ideophone'?
    Ooh! Ideophone rings a bell! Could I say "luxurious" is an ideophone? As it's strong connotations with luxurious objects create visual imagery?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure there is a word

Also wtf at the people suggesting 'opulence' etc, clearly that isn't the question...

P.S. it's 'As its strong connotations with luxurious objects...' not 'as it's strong connotations'. I wouldn't normally correct grammar on here ('tis the interweb, after all) but you used it a few times suggesting that's what you always do, and I guess you're writing an essay or something so want your grammar to be correct :P.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)

Also wtf at the people suggesting 'opulence' etc, clearly that isn't the question...

P.S. it's 'As its strong connotations with luxurious objects...' not 'as it's strong connotations'. I wouldn't normally correct grammar on here ('tis the interweb, after all) but you used it a few times suggesting that's what you always do, and I guess you're writing an essay or something so want your grammar to be correct :P.
    I was just about to edit that lol Sorry, I'm a bit tired

ReputationRep:
    Ooh! Ideophone rings a bell! Could I say "luxurious" is an ideophone? As it's strong connotations with luxurious objects create visual imagery?
    Hmm actually I'm not sure.. reading the wikipedia of ideophone it seems to suggest they are more onomatopoeic-y than what you are aiming for. 'Iconism', from the other article fits better I think.

ReputationRep:
    I was just about to edit that lol Sorry, I'm a bit tired
    Sorry then!

btw ideophone looks good from the wikipedia summary of it, though I've never heard of it before. I don't think it's that commonly used so you could get away with not using it and describing what you mean instead, but if you want to, it seems like a good match.

ReputationRep:
    The nearest I can think of is connotation :/ Although that's more to do with the symbolic meanings of words eg: lillies - death.

ReputationRep:
    could it be "mimesis"?

ReputationRep:

Sorry if this is off topic but my own grammar is bad and I'm always up for being corrected.

I always thought it's can mean "it is" as well as "it has" so wouldn't "as it's [it has] strong connotations..." make sense?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry then!

btw ideophone looks good from the wikipedia summary of it, though I've never heard of it before. I don't think it's that commonly used so you could get away with not using it and describing what you mean instead, but if you want to, it seems like a good match.
    Oh right! It's for my AS English Lit coursework - should I just describe it at this level?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there is a word.
    It's simply a case that a word can be phonetically self-suggestive.

ReputationRep:
    Connotational imagry? I don't even know if that makes sense. :teehee:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 31, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.