The Student Room Group

Can't think of a word - something LIKE onomatopoeia but not quite the same?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by OBAG09L
could it be "mimesis"?

I understand that as meaning something completely different - a case of showing rather than telling. I see what you are saying, but I think it refers to entire methods of narratology rather than linguistic effects pertaining to individual words.
The OP isn't looking for a synonym, quite clearly...

Ideophone might have hit the nail on the head, though.
Reply 22
Original post by thisisnew
Sorry if this is off topic but my own grammar is bad and I'm always up for being corrected.

I always thought it's can mean "it is" as well as "it has" so wouldn't "as it's [it has] strong connotations..." make sense?

Yep! But if you see the rest of the sentence she put: "As it has strong connotations with luxurious objects create visual imagery." wouldn't make sense :P

"It has strong connotations." does work though on its own. Just not in the context above :smile:

Original post by MelissaRB
Oh right! It's for my AS English Lit coursework - should I just describe it at this level?

I wouldn't worry about finding a word tbh. Look at all the different ones TSR has given you, just shows that's there's not really one that fits perfectly...
Reply 23
tree??
Original post by thisisnew
Sorry if this is off topic but my own grammar is bad and I'm always up for being corrected.

I always thought it's can mean "it is" as well as "it has" so wouldn't "as it's [it has] strong connotations..." make sense?

Stick to the conventional "it has".
Reply 25
connotation
Reply 26
Thanks everyone, you've been really helpful :yy:

I'll probably explain what I mean after all. I don't want to confuse the examiner! :tongue:
Original post by ily_em
Yep! But if you see the rest of the sentence she put: "As it has strong connotations with luxurious objects create visual imagery." wouldn't make sense :P

"It has strong connotations." does work though on its own. Just not in the context above :smile:

I wouldn't worry about finding a word tbh. Look at all the different ones TSR has given you, just shows that's there's not really one that fits perfectly...

Ah my bad you're right. I skimmed over that post, completely missed the last part! :tongue:
Reply 28
Affluent?
Reply 29
woof
Someone on my friends facebook just spelt Injuries "ingeries" Maybe you should ask them :facepalm::lolwut:
Reply 31
Original post by ily_em
I'm not sure there is a word :s-smilie:

Also wtf at the people suggesting 'opulence' etc, clearly that isn't the question...

P.S. it's 'As its strong connotations with luxurious objects...' not 'as it's strong connotations'. I wouldn't normally correct grammar on here ('tis the interweb, after all) but you used it a few times suggesting that's what you always do, and I guess you're writing an essay or something so want your grammar to be correct :P.

:rofl:

"Rich? Prosperity? Affluent? Hedonistic? Wealth!?"
Reply 32
Original post by MelissaRB
I mean a grammatical term for a word that conjures up strong imagery of it's meaning. If there even is a term like that :s-smilie: As in onomatopoeia means a word that sounds like it's action but I don't think I could call "luxury" onomatopoeic

Autology?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending