Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why has suffering from depression become so popular now? watch

ReputationRep:
    I think you should take a closer look at where you are, errr student forum well obviously teenagers over racting, stressing over insignificant things come on have you seen the threads created lately? Work load, insecure, feeling of self worthlessness, the moment when we turn into adults and realise how **** life is, hormones running wild... story goes on. I think before people didnt think as much. But that is my opinion we in the modern age analyse every single detail.
    Well only my opinion mate.

ReputationRep:
    Depression, personality disorders etc have increased in the last 50 years, largely as a result of increasing divorce rates, the working mother and broken families.

Also, there is more scrutiny on the right way to act now than there was 50 years ago. 50 years ago, people could abuse substances, do dangerous things, cheat, abuse their partners and no one would bat an eyelid.

Also, arguably, depressive or disordered states were optimal for existing in the world 50 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Wow you're really narrow-minded.
    I suffer from depression and have done for 3 years and I've tried and tried to "snap out of it" but trust me it doesn't work.
    I hide it as best I can, I don't want pity or people thinking I need to grow up.
    I don't enjoy feeling like **** all the time, crying in private and all the bad thoughts that come with it.
    It's a medical condition and it's people like you who make sufferers of depression keep on suffering as they feel ashamed of it, when it's nothing to be ashamed of. People who ACTUALLY suffer from depression would give anything to be better just as easy as that.

Also, it's quite a struggle sometimes for young people to get anti-depressants due to the high suicide risk. I was eventually given some which didn't help

But really, learn something about depression before you label it as an "in thing", I wouldn't wish it on anybody else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasman)
    Not gonna lie, I thought in the same line as OP (not as extreme, but you get what I mean) before I suffered from it. Wasn't that severe, but when I think back to it, I never wanna be in that situation again. It was so horrible.
    I know, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EsStupido)
    50 years ago nobody really suffered from depression, nowadays its the in-thing to suffer from? Feeling a bit down? Are you a little bit upset? Can't see the light at the end of your ****ty little rainbow? My God you must be depressed.

Thousands of people now make careers out of telling others that because they won't man the **** up and face life, they must be depressed and therefore need counseling and drugs - which cost money. What a shock.

Pathetic. What is wrong with people nowadays?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8&postcount=37

Thought about suicide 'billions of times', OP?

It's the in thing, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    popular as in bird flu popular or radiation poisoning popular?

ReputationRep:
    50 years ago nobody really suffered from depression, nowadays its the in-thing to suffer from? Feeling a bit down? Are you a little bit upset? Can't see the light at the end of your ****ty little rainbow? My God you must be depressed.

Thousands of people now make careers out of telling others that because they won't man the **** up and face life, they must be depressed and therefore need counseling and drugs - which cost money. What a shock.

50 years ago mental health issues weren't widely recognised, now they are because people have started being able to talk about them more. Its not a case of more people have depression, probably a similar amount of people did back then its just now its easier to diagnose and you can actually do something about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink_Chocolate xx)
    Wow you're really narrow-minded.
    I suffer from depression and have done for 3 years and I've tried and tried to "snap out of it" but trust me it doesn't work.
    I hide it as best I can, I don't want pity or people thinking I need to grow up.
    I don't enjoy feeling like **** all the time, crying in private and all the bad thoughts that come with it.
    It's a medical condition and it's people like you who make sufferers of depression keep on suffering as they feel ashamed of it, when it's nothing to be ashamed of. People who ACTUALLY suffer from depression would give anything to be better just as easy as that.

Also, it's quite a struggle sometimes for young people to get anti-depressants due to the high suicide risk. I was eventually given some which didn't help

But really, learn something about depression before you label it as an "in thing", I wouldn't wish it on anybody else.
    I wouldn't worry, he ironically wants to kill himself anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Increased awareness, depression has always been an issue.
    Society's expectations are much, much higher these days- striving for perfection...
    Change in culture, people are competing against each other more so than working collectively. Communities are less integrated...

Mistaking being sad with depression there OP. Every single thought a person has is affected by the condition.

ReputationRep:
    :teehee: Inconsistent troll is inconsistent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8&postcount=37

Thought about suicide 'billions of times', OP?

It's the in thing, isn't it?
    I don't see that as neither strange nor weird, or attention-seeking. I've never once told anyone I know about it and neither would I. Have you never wondered what the world around you would be like if you suddenly no longer existed? I do and it interests me.

Difference is my thoughts don't lead me to believe that because I think about suicide I must be 100% depressed.

Nice try though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    I suppose losing your arm, and the inability to jerk off in your metal suit had much to do with it.

Spoiler:
    Show
    No offense over any genuine condition, I just couldn't help it.

I was referring to losing my wife.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackB123)
    popular as in bird flu popular or radiation poisoning popular?
    Either/or.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRealDarthVader)
    I was referring to losing my wife.
    I nearly crapped myself before thinking about that for a second.

ReputationRep:

Maybe people are depressed because society is full of nasty little trolls like you.

ReputationRep:
    True, so many people that aren't genuinely depressed, everyone feels down sometimes.

ReputationRep:

I don't applaud the way you've put it but yes, depression has become more prevalent mainly due to lifestyle choices.

Things were very different before, humans are being forced against their natural tendencies and are pushing themselves too far in a way they are not designed to be pushed.

So yes , that is why.

Depression is different to grief. You can man up if you are grieved but not as easily if you are depressed. Its a chemical imbalance, much like when you are high, you cant get a person who is on a high to calm down.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see that as neither strange nor weird, or attention-seeking. I've never once told anyone I know about it and neither would I. Have you never wondered what the world around you would be like if you suddenly no longer existed? I do and it interests me.

Difference is my thoughts don't lead me to believe that because I think about suicide I must be 100% depressed.

Nice try though.
    No, but you still feel inside of you an urge to take your life, which is involutary and completely illogical. Now, instead of that, imagine it was a feeling of intense emotional pain that seemed illogical and unjustifiable, and how you would deal with that.

I apologise if my tone was sarky, but my own experiences of losing friends to drug use, alcoholism and suicide have somewhat blunted my ability to empathise with your callous, almost mocking, point.

ReputationRep:
    im saying it is, but could depression just be made up and be some technical mumbo jumbo for feeling a bit down?

just a thought

ReputationRep:

Yeah, and we have to pay for the drugs at least for ourselves.

If you're referring to people who claim that they have depression but haven't been diagnosed then fair enough, but if you're talking about people who are really suffering from depression then you can get the hell out.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.