The Student Room Group

Why has suffering from depression become so popular now?

Scroll to see replies

Other peoples stupidity and the degredation of society makes me depressed.
You can't 'man up' to something that isn't your problem. :cool:
Reply 81
I think it's just due to willpower, strength of character and overcoming obstacles in life; life isn't always easy but it's possible to reverse your lot through sheer strength of application 90% of the time.

Some people are genuinely depressed though, I completely accept that and I feel very sorry for them. For others however, they should snap out of their self imposed mental prison and work toward making positive amendments to their lives instead of continually contemplating their bad position.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 82
increased awarenessssssss fool.
Reply 83
Original post by wactm
To be quite honest depression is not a topic I can talk about seriously with out laughing. Same with eating 'disorders'. Obviously diagnosing REAL depression is completely subjective but on the whole I think a lot of people need to MAN THE F U C K UP.

I'm not denying it exists but I dont think it is as widespread as we are led to believe. Personally one of my ex-girlfriends should have been diagnosed with depression. I genuinely feel she had it, but she was too scared to go to the doctors about it. However I dont think many people who claim to have had it ever did.

Grow a pair and thanks for the negs.

Yeah, you're a real hard man.
Original post by EsStupido
50 years ago nobody really suffered from depression, nowadays its the in-thing to suffer from? Feeling a bit down? Are you a little bit upset? Can't see the light at the end of your ****ty little rainbow? My God you must be depressed.

Thousands of people now make careers out of telling others that because they won't man the **** up and face life, they must be depressed and therefore need counseling and drugs - which cost money. What a shock.

Pathetic. What is wrong with people nowadays?

Because the vast majority of people don't understand what depression really is. They become sad, unhappy, for 2 WEEKS and suddenly they're depressed and need professional help.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Paracetamol alleviates my headache. Does that mean they are caused by a lack of paracetamol?

Why is it that SSRIs have a far from 100% success rate if depression is caused by a lack of serotonin?

Why is it that, despite SSRIs acheiving optimal blood level after a few dosages, require weeks for effects to be observed?

Why do drugs that increase serotonin re-uptake alleviate depression?

Why do individuals with sepiapterin reductase deficiency typically only show circadian dysrhythmia and not depression?

Why are drugs that act on alternative neurotransmitters (e.g. noradrenaline) also able to alleviate depression?

PROPTIP: The serotonin hypothesis has largely been abandoned by the neuroscientific community. The 'evidence' that you are referring to is most likely the product of the pharmaceutical industry and/or the misguided popular medical legitimisation of the disorder in the face of critics (not that it isn't of course).

I'm not saying that serotonin is the only cause, it can be a contributing factor.
They're not 100% reliable as there are other causes.
But they DO work for people, and I'm sure that they wouldn't produce SSRIs if they had no proper evidence as that would be a waste of money.

I'm not saying that it's the only cause just one of the many reasons.
Original post by Pink_Chocolate xx
I'm not saying that serotonin is the only cause, it can be a contributing factor.

I'm not saying that it's the only cause just one of the many reasons.

So why do a huge number of people that respond to SSRI treatment also respond to non-serotonin medications? Are they 'deficient' in both cases? Are there any more post-hoc modifications you want to add to this theory before you abandon it?

But they DO work for people

Didn't say they don't. I'm questioning the theory, not the efficacy.

and I'm sure that they wouldn't produce SSRIs if they had no proper evidence as that would be a waste of money.

Waste of money? Do you know how much profit SSRIs generate for the pharmaceutical industry? Why do you think they are keen to push the same meds for other disorders (e.g. social anxiety, autism, psychosis, phobias). Are they all 'low in serotonin'?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 87
50 years ago nobody really suffered from depression, nowadays its the in-thing to suffer from? Feeling a bit down? Are you a little bit upset? Can't see the light at the end of your ****ty little rainbow? My God you must be depressed.

Thousands of people now make careers out of telling others that because they won't man the **** up and face life, they must be depressed and therefore need counseling and drugs - which cost money. What a shock.

:congrats:
Depression wasn't understood 50 years ago.
People don't like to be depressed, and it's really stupid so suggest people just "man up". If someone is really suffering from depression, it isn't that simple.
I think occasionally people assume they are depressed when they are just a bit down, but not as often as you seem to think.
Reply 89
What an apt username. I think you'll find depression may seem more common now, purely for the fact it is more socially acceptable to admit you are suffering from it nowadays. Mental illness wasn't understood 50 years ago, thankfully that is no longer the case and people don't have to suffer in silence.
How someone can say something like that is absolutely beyond me. I definitely did suffer from it... I have done for as long as I can remember tbh, and it still crops up from time to time. I wouldn't wish what I'm feeling or have felt on anyone at all - so for someone to call it a teenage girl attention-seeking or something grossly underestimates things and completely makes a mockery of what I've had to feel. Just because people may be more open and feel more comfortable talking about it these days doesn't make it more 'popular' or the 'in-thing'. Of course, I feel I have gained perspective recently and am trying to focus on moving forward and making the best out of my life, and I am definitely glad to have realised that sooner rather than later, but that hasn't made the depression go away completely.
Reply 91

There's quite a difference between feeling depressed and suffering from depression. One is an illness. People 'suffering' from depression find it hard to do the normal day-day things. Many isolate themselves from friends and family and according to someone I know, it feels as if you'll never be happy again.
Before you post something like this, you should at least google it . . .
For a completely brilliant book on this, check out 'The Loss of Sadness' by Horwitz and Wakefield.
Reply 93
50 years ago nobody really suffered from depression

I bet a lot of that is because 50 years ago people did suffer from depression, seeing as it was post-war and a lot of people had died and that I guess most people just managed to get throw life. But I bet you have never suffered from depression (real depression) because you wouldn't of made that horrid little ignorant rant you just made.
Reply 94
Modernity is a sickness.
Reply 95

Quite ironic that you're probably the pathetic one here with a typical trolling post full of nonsense (Calling depression 'popular' lol), I just wonder why people like you troll, are you actually depressed yourself or are you just trying to get a bit of attention?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending