Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Looking for some advice here as I'm not really sure what I should do...I originally applied for aeronautical engineering but got rejections from all five choices. However, Loughborough offered me an alternative place on their systems engineering course with grades of BBB. Now this course is very different to my original choice and seems to focus mainly on electrical engineering (It's part of that department) and I really don't have the same enthusiasm for that stuff.

I visited Lougborough today to find out more about the course and what systems engineering actually is. After this I do feel a little more interested in it, but it's still not what I wanted to be doing.

My dilemma is that seeing as this is my only choice do I accept it, and risk doing a course that I won't enjoy, or apply next year and have to pay higher fees. I'm also not sure if I'd apply for aeronautical engineering as it seems to be too competitive and I feel I would enjoy a degree in physics more...and if I do apply next year I'd definitely worry about forgetting most of the maths so I'd need to continue that somehow...and there's also the risk of not even getting the course I want next year..hmm

Whats your advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XST)
    Looking for some advice here as I'm not really sure what I should do...I originally applied for aeronautical engineering but got rejections from all five choices. However, Loughborough offered me an alternative place on their systems engineering course with grades of BBB. Now this course is very different to my original choice and seems to focus mainly on electrical engineering (It's part of that department) and I really don't have the same enthusiasm for that stuff.

I visited Lougborough today to find out more about the course and what systems engineering actually is. After this I do feel a little more interested in it, but it's still not what I wanted to be doing.

My dilemma is that seeing as this is my only choice do I accept it, and risk doing a course that I won't enjoy, or apply next year and have to pay higher fees. I'm also not sure if I'd apply for aeronautical engineering as it seems to be too competitive and I feel I would enjoy a degree in physics more...and if I do apply next year I'd definitely worry about forgetting most of the maths so I'd need to continue that somehow...and there's also the risk of not even getting the course I want next year..hmm

Whats your advice?
    I'd advise you to look at the Extra lists (unis who havent filled up all the course spaces) the following unis still have spaces for aeronautical engineering or similiar courses:
    Brighton, Brunel, City and a few others on the list on the ucas website.

Or if you want to apply for Physics just do a search for that. You can always write a new PS to send to the uni you apply to.

Consider what went wrong about your application, if you don't know, ask the unis for feedback. If it was your PS redo that before you apply to Extra, obviously if it was your grades or predicted grades then there isn't much you can do now other than set your sights lower but aim to achieve good grades in the summer.

May I ask, were your predicted grades lower than the university requirements?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XST)

Whats your advice?
    Has Loughborough got places left on it's physics courses? If so, you could enquire as to whether they would transfer your place. The worst they can say is no...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XST)

Whats your advice?
    why not try going through clearing also =] i saw quite a few options for physics/engineraring last year. good luck.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.