Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Being the lovely daughter that I am, I have decided to take on the task of cooking up a 3-course meal on sunday for my lovely mum and other family members!
    I have got the main sorted (roast pork loin, cider gravy and all the usual trimmings), for dessert, it will be either be pavlova with lemon cream and blueberries, for a plum pie. Only thing I can't figure out is the starter...I'm thinking soup is too simple, so maybe a pate of some kind, or a tart maybe...can't think of anything else though, so I'm wondering if the good people of the food forum can help me decide on a starter. Preferably, I'd like to be able to make it in advance and I don't want it to be too complex.

So, any ideas??

ReputationRep:
    Smoked salmon and a bit of salad is good, and requires very little preparation. Or parma ham and melon.

ReputationRep:
    Asparagus and goats' cheese tarts? You can part-bake the puff pastry squares in advance, then just pop the steamed asparagus and cheese on and pop them in the oven for the last 10 minutes or so.

Or beetroot and horseradish mousse?

ReputationRep:
    I was planning to do this for my mum too (although plans may be changing now!) and some of the things I considered as starters were:

Creamy mushroom bruschetta
    Melting leek and goat's cheese pastries
    Potato cakes with smoked salmon
    Potato skins with sour cream
    Garlic bread with cheese

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like your main and desert are likely to be rich and heavy so a light, tantalising starter is called for. Superwolf has given good advice - a little smoked salmon or fancy ham, or perhaps as you suggested some nice pate with a piece of crusty bread and some onion marmalade, any served with some leaves, lemon juice and olive oil. You could just buy one of those really big scottish smoked salmon packs, and make it into little rolls, and put them around the edge of a big plate with some leaves in the middle. Something really simple and delicious like that would go down well. Good luck!

And these suggestions don't need cooking and can just be chucked into the fridge - easy peasy. I think tartlets and bruschettas might be a bit heavy and time consuming, and anything that would need to be served hot is just a complication.

Bruschetta. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the same and doing a tomato soup - it is a bit simples but it isn't too filling or rich and it always goes down well. I'm hopefully going to go for gazpacho, but if the weather's a bit grotty I'll do roast baby tom. soup instead...

ReputationRep:
    How about some carrots, celery and cucumber with some flatbread/pitta and some dips? Maybe some cooked and chilled chicken, some smoked salmon, ham etc. Remarkably simple but people can then help their self to what they want as you get dinner sorted. It'll make things less formal too!

ReputationRep:
    Have a look on the BBC Good Food website, there are so many wonderful recipes on there ^^ .

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.