Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Don't you hate it when you answer the phone and.... watch

ReputationRep:
    This is really trivial, but...

Sometimes, when I'm back home and I answer the 'phone (just saying "hello"), the caller also just says "hello" and nothing else, which is a bit awkward - you'd expect them to say something like "Hello, this is x, may I speak to y, please?". Instead there's an awkward silence as they remain completely silent, or another stupid exchange of "hello", or I have to ask "May I ask who's calling, please?", which sounds a bit formal (and embarrassing if it's someone I'm supposed to know...I'm not great at recognizing voices). I seem to get this a lot from my parents' Indian friends - does it happen to anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    It doesn’t to me. Maybe it’s just a cultural habit of that area of India. Just be playful and smiling; your voice will convey that. Then ask them why they don’t say anything after saying ‘hello’.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah a couple of times, I just say 'Sorry, who is this?'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bleen)
    It doesn’t to me. Maybe it’s just a cultural habit of that area of India. Just be playful and smiling; your voice will convey that. Then ask them why they don’t say anything after saying ‘hello’.
    yes,maybe it is something about culture,u just don't know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clouny)
    yes,maybe it is something about culture,u just don't know
    It’s worth asking them.

ReputationRep:
    This $hit happens to me all the time and it does really piss me off. I know what you mean OP, it is really awkward. The person calling should always address themselves at the start of a conversation and tell them where they are from and why they are calling.

Some people have no phone manners at all, makes me wonder where the f*ck people have been when common sense was being handed out.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.