Turn on thread page Beta

ATM charged me but didn't dispense cash! watch

ReputationRep:
    Went to the cash point on Sunday, pressed 'withdraw £20' but no cash was dispensed it just said 'error.' I just assumed that for some reason it hadn't worked - didn't consider that I might have been charged for it but I checked my statement today and turns out I was.

How can I go about complaining about this/possibly making a claim? Surely it may have happened to some other customers at the same ATM? (I'm skint )

It was a Santander branch cash machine, but I have an HSBC account.
    Any advice appreciated! Especially if you have been in a similar situation!

ReputationRep:
    The bank should have records of what should have been dispensed vs what actually was and the difference should come to light when they reconcile the cash in the machine. Was the ATM associated with a specific branch? If it was, the easiest thing to do would be to go into the branch to ask about it. Otherwise, perhaps try their general customer services number?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    The bank should have records of what should have been dispensed vs what actually was and the difference should come to light when they reconcile the cash in the machine. Was the ATM associated with a specific branch? If it was, the easiest thing to do would be to go into the branch to ask about it. Otherwise, perhaps try their general customer services number?
    I'm hoping this will have happened. Lots of people have said to me 'no point, you won't get it back' and stuff though so im feeling a little downhearted. I think im going to try the branch tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Ask for an "atm claims form" "atm non dispense form" (it depends on the bank or building society) some need you to fill it in in-store or they do it over the phone.

(If you can't tell I worked at a bank & building society xD)

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.