Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So!

I was kind of stupid enough to actually put into my application a subject (Swedish) where my success in the past hasn't been so stabile. I thought I would have a good chance of getting an ok enough grade out of it, but I ended up ****ing it up completely.

It was a "voluntary" subject so I can leave it out of my graduation certificate and that's a standard procedure here in Finland, so no problem there. I did six subjects altogether, including Swedish, the pain in my bottom. Problem is I'm not applying for uni in Finland but UK instead and I don't think I could leave anything out anymore, after an application and received offers. This mark from Swedish alone would put me below the needed grade average from my lowest offers (mostly around ABB-BBB and average of 5/M in finnish system) which would suck, even though it wouldn't completely mess up my schedule (i'm deferring anyways). Is there any chance of getting a place even though this one grade will pretty surely make my qualifications go just below the requirements?

Thanks.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Have you already received offers from universities and you are worried that you won't meet the conditions or have I misunderstood? Some universities (the less competitive ones) might still let you in if you were JUST under the entry requirements if they still have places left. Anyway, I guess you don't actually know if you've actually messed it up yet or not?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I don't know if I've actually messed up, because I've not been in touch with any unis yet. I know I've kind of messed up already because I know I can't get my average above the required limit with my Swedish included. I've received offers from most of my unis already, with offers around the level I said already: ABB-BBB. I'm getting two A's and a B related to my subjects, but as they use my average, the barely passed Swedish will drag me down a bit. But the bit is enough for me not to meet the criteria.

I know 2011 entry is very crowded, but as I'm deferring my entry due to military service anyways, so is the chance of getting in for a place in 2012 any better?

ReputationRep:
    If you don't quite meet the conditions you should contact the universities, there are still all the chances of getting in if you don't mess up really badly and if the average is close to what they're asking for. So fingers crossed and ring them when you get the final results!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.