Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just curious what peoples views on getting rid of the deficit would be, i've been doing research into it recently and man its bloody scary how much debt this country is in at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Get the bloody stingy French, Italians and Russians to pay us back the £585 bn they owe in Great War loans. We could pay back the United States the £225 bn we owe them so they can shut up about supposedly saving our asses, then we'd still have £360 bn.
    Yes that is right £360 BILLION.
    Remember that Putin, next time you spend money on shiney new tanks for your army.
    Remember that Sarkozy next time you send your jets over Libya.
    Remember that Berlusconi, next time you throw a stripper party.

You all do said things with money you owe us.
    Considering the gianormous amount I am disgusted that not one singe British prime minister has ever brought this up with their Continental counterparts.
    They owe us FIVE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY FIVE BILLION POUNDS!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFsucks)
    Just curious what peoples views on getting rid of the deficit would be, i've been doing research into it recently and man its bloody scary how much debt this country is in at the moment.
    The deficit includes in it repayments for the debt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamageddon)
    The deficit includes in it repayments for the debt.
    Yeah I know the difference between the deficit and debt.

ReputationRep:
    I think one of Osborne's plans is to use our tax receipts of £450bn to buy 450 billion lottery tickets.

ReputationRep:
    Put everything on ebay.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to get into a lengthy discussion on the deficit and national debt here, but here's something for you to think about. Thanks to LABOUR, in particular Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling (the greatest Chancellor this country has had in modern times), the treasury is set to make a profit of hundreds of billions of pounds when it sells off the shares in the banks that it bought for next to nothing. That's a huge chunk of the debt, alone. And it's all thanks to Labour. The Tories, I should point out, were against nationalising the banks. Can you imagine the mess we would be in if it were not for Labour's governance and economic vision during the financial crisis? It doesn't bear thinking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    I'm not going to get into a lengthy discussion on the deficit and national debt here, but here's something for you to think about. Thanks to LABOUR, in particular Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling (the greatest Chancellor this country has had in modern times), the treasury is set to make a profit of hundreds of billions of pounds when it sells off the shares in the banks that it bought for next to nothing. That's a huge chunk of the debt, alone. And it's all thanks to Labour. The Tories, I should point out, were against nationalising the banks. Can you imagine the mess we would be in if it were not for Labour's governance and economic vision during the financial crisis? It doesn't bear thinking about.
    It's great having you around Teveth, you do bring a bit of humour to what is a normally very aggressive forum.

ReputationRep:
    The tories supported all the bank nationalisations except northern rock.

ReputationRep:
    Thatcher got public debt down to 23% of GDP while increacing goverment spending. Good stuff when you consider it was more than 200% of GDP in 1945.

ReputationRep:
    These might help reduce some of the deficit:

- Legalizing marijuana and taxing the sale of it
    - Legalizing brothels etc and the sale of sex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)

While I'm for it, it wont bring in as much money as people insist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dream Weaver)
    While I'm for it, it wont bring in as much money as people insist.
    Well no, hence why I said 'some'.

Every little helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFsucks)
    Yeah I know the difference between the deficit and debt.
    Then the title of your thread is misleading. How can you get rid of a deficit 'for good'.
    All you can do is get rid of a deficit in one particular year.

Clinton got rid of the US deficit but then after 8 years of Bush it was high again.

ReputationRep:
    So if the costs of the bail out were next to nothing why did the deficit jump up so sharply in 2008?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    These might help reduce some of the deficit:

This.

Would lower crime at the same time. As well as that this would be the best plan to deal with the whole "war on drugs"as drug cartels would lose massive chunks of profit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    I think one of Osborne's plans is to use our tax receipts of £450bn to buy 450 billion lottery tickets.
    He only needs to buy ~13m to win, surely?

ReputationRep:
    Don't have to. The evidence is plain to see.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to get into a lengthy discussion on the deficit and national debt here, but here's something for you to think about. Thanks to LABOUR, in particular Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling (the greatest Chancellor this country has had in modern times), the treasury is set to make a profit of hundreds of billions of pounds when it sells off the shares in the banks that it bought for next to nothing. That's a huge chunk of the debt, alone.
    Not on the current market price they aren't...

ReputationRep:
    Brothels are illegal but selling your body for sex is not in this country.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.