Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFsucks)
    Brothels are illegal but selling your body for sex is not in this country.
    Yup, but many associated activities are.

Legalize, tax and make the sex industry safer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Then the title of your thread is misleading. How can you get rid of a deficit 'for good'.
    All you can do is get rid of a deficit in one particular year.
    Well seeing that apart from a few years in the late 1980s,1990s and earlyer 2000s there has been a deficit every year for a long time, what I am curious about is how a government can spend and tax in a way which would stop a deficit being made each year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    These might help reduce some of the deficit:

- Legalizing marijuana and taxing the sale of it
    - Legalizing brothels etc and the sale of sex
    Any viable options, anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Not on the current market price they aren't...
    Is it RBS which is still losing money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    Get the bloody stingy French, Italians and Russians to pay us back the £585 bn they owe in Great War loans. We could pay back the United States the £225 bn we owe them so they can shut up about supposedly saving our asses, then we'd still have £360 bn.
    Yes that is right £360 BILLION.
    Remember that Putin, next time you spend money on shiney new tanks for your army.
    Remember that Sarkozy next time you send your jets over Libya.
    Remember that Berlusconi, next time you throw a stripper party.

You all do said things with money you owe us.
    Considering the gianormous amount I am disgusted that not one singe British prime minister has ever brought this up with their Continental counterparts.
    They owe us FIVE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY FIVE BILLION POUNDS!!!
    You're an idiot

ReputationRep:
    Is it RBS which is still losing money?
    Yup.

Lloyds is only treading water too.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Buy dollars..

Get the bloody stingy French, Italians and Russians to pay us back the £585 bn they owe in Great War loans. We could pay back the United States the £225 bn we owe them so they can shut up about supposedly saving our asses, then we'd still have £360 bn.
    Remember that Putin, next time you spend money on shiney new tanks for your army.

Considering the gianormous amount I am disgusted that not one singe British prime minister has ever brought this up with their Continental counterparts.
    :eek: is this true? if so make us pay and stop being silent... you know we are just using your money to wipe our ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    He only needs to buy ~13m to win, surely?
    Exactly :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    :eek: is this true? if so make us pay and stop being silent... you know we are just using your money to wipe our ***
    Hell yeah it's true.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4757181.stm
    That's an article on the BBC about it. It's mainly about how much the UK owes the US, but near the bottom it has figures for how much the Entente owes the UK. To be fair the figure is only adjusted for inflation, I adjusted futher (using the BBC's sums) to account for further GDP growth, which I have take to be interest on the loans since I can't find any figures for what interest rate the actual loans were set at.

(Original post by samconly)
    You're an idiot
    Care to elaborate why you think that? Do you think we should just write off £500 billion?

ReputationRep:
    Well seeing the apart from a few years in the late 1980s,1990s and earlyer 2000s there has been a deficit every year for a long time, what I am curious about is how a government can spend and tax in a way which would stop a deficit being made each year.
    Well the only countries which have decent fiscal positions are countries which have high oil exports (eg Saudi Arabia), high taxes (Sweden, Germany, Norway), or in Norways case, a combination of both oil revenues and high taxes which means despite having a very advanced welfare state and high standard public services, they can run a budget surplus which is a bigger proportion of their GDP than our deficit is of ours!. Then there are three other countries which have a good fiscal position despite relatively low taxes: Hong Kong, Singapore and Switzerland, although Singapore and Switzerland it must be said, do have deficits, just small ones and their rates of growth are higher.

ReputationRep:

LOL.

Seriously though, get a grip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    I'm not going to get into a lengthy discussion on the deficit and national debt here, but here's something for you to think about. Thanks to LABOUR, in particular Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling (the greatest Chancellor this country has had in modern times), the treasury is set to make a profit of hundreds of billions of pounds when it sells off the shares in the banks that it bought for next to nothing. That's a huge chunk of the debt, alone. And it's all thanks to Labour. The Tories, I should point out, were against nationalising the banks. Can you imagine the mess we would be in if it were not for Labour's governance and economic vision during the financial crisis? It doesn't bear thinking about.
    I think you may be out by a nought with your hundreds of billions.

I think it perfectly possible we could make a profit on our stakes in RBOS and Lloyds/HBOS, but a quick look at their current market caps ought to clearly indicate to you that hundreds of billions is not a tenable argument for even the most optimistic person.

The current market cap of Lloyds is circa £41 billion, the government has I think circa 40% of that, so existing stake has a value of £16 billion.

The current market cap of RBOS is circa £24.5 billion, the government has circa 80% of that, so existing stake has a value of £20 billion.

If we assume that across the pair the government is at rough breakeven re these(and I think from memory it is actually, at these figures, standing at a loss) to make a £100 billion profit from our stake of £36 billion we need to sell these shares at just under 4 times their current prices.

Profit, probably yes, if managed correctly, hundreds of billions profit, not a chance.

ReputationRep:
    Just curious what peoples views on getting rid of the deficit would be, i've been doing research into it recently and man its bloody scary how much debt this country is in at the moment.
    The deficit is small in comparison to the UK debt at £4 trillion +.
    Some ways to get rid of it would be to increase tax, however it will lead to other issues.
    But from doing Economics I have learned these facts about the economy:
    -The private sector creates wealth
    -The public sector consumes wealth

Currently the public sector is much bigger then the private sector and the public sector is paid for by the government borrowing as they are unable to get enough tax revenues, etc from the private sector. This occured around the 1930's, when the deficit of the UK first began to occur and continue, which directly correlates to a change in the size of these economies.

Best thing this government do is privatise many aspects of their service and promote businesses so that the public sector shrinks and the private sectors grow.

ReputationRep:
    increase the population x10000 times and then get everyone to pay £15! That's how to do it! We'd make a profit!

ReputationRep:
    Care to elaborate why you think that? Do you think we should just write off £500 billion?
    No, lets send in a gunboat.

What exactly is your plan for getting it?

Asking nicely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    From your learning of economics does that mean that increasing the size of the public sector does not change GDP (if the private sector remains the same size)

From your learning of economics if schools and hospitals were privatised would they then create wealth? Does Lloyds Banking Group consume wealth since its a public sector organisation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    The deficit is small in comparison to the UK debt at £4 trillion +.
    Some ways to get rid of it would be to increase tax, however it will lead to other issues.

Currently the public sector is much bigger then the private sector and the public sector is paid for by the government borrowing as they are unable to get enough tax revenues, etc from the private sector. This occured around the 1930's, when the deficit of the UK first began to occur and continue, which directly correlates to a change in the size of these economies.

Best thing this government do is privatise many aspects of their service and promote businesses so that the public sector shrinks and the private sectors grow.
    From where do you get your "fact" that the public sector is currently bigger than the "private" sector? Yes it is large, but bigger?

From memory I thought that the public sector was circa 33% private sector 67%, however I would need to do some digging to check these rough guesstimates.

Maybe someone better informed could post the real figures?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    No, lets send in a gunboat.

What exactly is your plan for getting it?

Asking nicely?
    Get the Americans involved. If the Europeans pay us back then we can pay them back to the tune of around $300 bn. Obama might hate the British, but he loves money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    I'm not going to get into a lengthy discussion on the deficit and national debt here, but here's something for you to think about. Thanks to LABOUR, in particular Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling (the greatest Chancellor this country has had in modern times), the treasury is set to make a profit of hundreds of billions of pounds when it sells off the shares in the banks that it bought for next to nothing. That's a huge chunk of the debt, alone. And it's all thanks to Labour. The Tories, I should point out, were against nationalising the banks. Can you imagine the mess we would be in if it were not for Labour's governance and economic vision during the financial crisis? It doesn't bear thinking about.
    Lets thank them too for selling all of our gold reserves to the cheapest bidder!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.